Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this dash back in December. What I like about it is the alignment of the gauges, single file with the odometer on top. And it goes to under the seat, long and sleek. Never cared for the tank bib and wonder why they didn't just do a little filing down the weld and I think it looks great. Can be used on classic/vintage and chieftain but with some modification of course.
This dash is a raw product, meaning you got work to do before putting a finish on it.
I had to file the opening for the gas/odometer to fit.
Probably shave the side to fit the way you may want going down the tank.
Cut down (2"+/-) the end to fit properly under the seat and down the tank.
If you don't have heated grips or hard bag button(s), you'll have to fill that in. If you have a button, you'll need to epoxy a couple of bolts to attach to.
The surface is pretty hard and smooth, don't know what it is. But you'll need to check it closely for blemishes before putting a finish on. I figure most will probably want to paint it thou it can be chromed but you'll have to check with the chroming shop, some do not do fiberglass.
You will also have to make and epoxy a bracket to hold the odometer. (stock bracket will not work).
I suggest getting better trim for the sides, more in tuned to what is on the stock dash. The one supplied is small, ugly and requires more filing to work properly.
The metal strap they supply is used to attach to the tank frame. You'll have to figure out how you want to attached to tank frame and under the dash. you'll have to drill the top hole for attaching to frame.
Taking the stock dash off and the gauges are a breeze. Only thing you have to do after re-connecting is set the clock. Gauges are all one piece and light, so careful handling them.
I was not expecting this much work when I purchased it. Not much of a fiberglass body type guy, so HUGH learning curve. Very conservative in cutting/grinding anything, small steps and lots of checking to make sure not to over do it and end up with a scrap. I used a small grinding wheel on a drill. Worked well but threw up lots fiberglass dust, MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT YOUR OPEN SKIN AND FACE WHEN WORKING WITH THIS FIBERGLASS.
I had emailed before and after the purchase to dirty bird about this product and never received any reply. So figure you are on your own.
I am going to have mine covered in black leather to match my seat. That will give me some wiggle room in the "making mistake" department!
Will post final picture when it done, leather shop is a 4 week wait.
Most of all, have fun and keep covered, still itching!

Stampede Series Stacked Stretched Dash - #SI718 - Stampede Series Stacked Stretched Dash

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures????
(Inquiring minds want to know!):)
Holding off on the pics til finished. All i have done so far is just cut down the dash. Working on the bolts/bracket for the odometer and then wait for the leather shop's call that they are ready to go to work on it. Looking at 3 weeks easy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have this dash on its way to me. I'll update this thread with any updates/ changes in prep work required and whether customer service has improved. So far, customer service has been exceptional. I asked a question before buying by email and received a personal response within 24 hours, and the dash was shipped next day from purchase.

Thanks, Breeze58, for your review. Would be great if you could update us about the durability/ resilience of the dash over time, photos, and any other input you might be able to offer.

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts