Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

New York City, NY. — December 11, 2014 —

Indian Motorcycle and Dirty Bird Concepts revealed a customized 2015 Indian Scout at the International Motorcycle Shows New York City event. Dirty Bird Concepts owner, John Shope, was fired up about the project called “Scout 42” as soon as he saw the new motorcycle revealed at the Black Hills Rally in Sturgis SD earlier this year.

“Dirty Bird is well known for our custom baggers,” says Shope who co-starred in the television show Biker Battle Ground Phoenix, “So when I saw the new Scout I knew it was going to be a real player on the market – and when I had a chance to ride it – I was totally blown away by how great the engine and handling is.”

Shope’s custom reflects the sporting heritage of the Indian Scout. Known for its balance of chassis and power, the history of the Scout model name is framed by racing wins, world records and performances on the fabled “Wall of Death”. The custom work on “Scout 42” was done to increase the sport appeal of the motorcycle, without sacrificing the highly praised handling of the stock bike.

From a design standpoint the front of the motorcycle received the most attention. A custom fairing and chin spoiler bring a sportbike aesthetic to the Scout. While the footpeg location remains stock, “Bear Claw” pegs were mounted for increased boot traction, a Renthal handlebar pulls the rider forward into an aggressive stance and for more weight on the front end. A new chin spoiler changes the lines around the stock radiator and front frame member. A custom front fender compliments the tighter look. Shope developed a series of frame inserts to add additional details to the otherwise stock cast aluminum frame.

Shope, one of the stars of Bike Battleground Phoenix, winner of the Chopper Challenge on CMT and the 2014 Hot Bike Power Tour, chose to stick with the stock rim sizes to maintain handling, however custom rims were ordered up through Gorby Machine and the stock tires re-mounted. The stock shock springs were custom powdercoated, as were many other details on the motorcycle. The forks remain stock, however the seat was re-covered in a diamond pattern suede by Guy’s Upholstery.

Shope’s favorite part of the build is the fairing. “That really set the attitude for this bike – it’s really going to annihilate the competition.” Interestingly, Shope decided to leave the stock tank alone. “The designers knocked it out of the park. That’s the most bad-ass stock tank ever, I just love the shape.”

Paintwork by Steel Vision Garage in a candy blue with tape fading style and gray inserts is complimented by a darkened tail light, and a blue tinted instrument pod. Other details catch the eye such as a side-mount license plate and drilled out levers, chain guide and sprocket cover plus a tight and reconfigured exhaust system that according to an ever-enthusiastic Shope; “Sounds really nasty!’

Shope is excited about the potential for customizing the Indian Scout. “We have done a few Indian baggers, and those are great projects, but the Scout comes at such an awesome price point, and lots of parts simply bolt on and off, so it’s exciting to think about future even more radical builds.”

Log on to www.dirtybirdconcepts.com to see more custom Indian Motorcycles built by John and his crew.

The Dirty Bird Concepts “Scout 42” will be on display in the Indian Motorcycle Display through the end of the International Motorcycle Shows tour. To learn more, log on to www.motorcycleshows.com.

The 2015 Scout is the first truly new Indian Scout in over 70 years, yet its design pays homage to the legendary early Scouts that conquered the infamous “Wall of Death” and notched countless innovations, racing wins, world records and industry firsts along the way. A 1920 Indian Scout earned the title of the “World’s Fastest Indian” at the hands of Burt Munro in 1967. The new Scout is powered by an all-new, 69 cubic inch, 100 HP V-twin engine that combines the design, performance and reliability elements that made the original Scouts unstoppable and combines it with cutting edge technologies and industry-leading engineering for unparalleled durability and reliability. The 2015 Indian Scout is available at a starting MSRP of $10,999. For more information log on to www.IndianMotorcycle.com.

ABOUT INDIAN MOTORCYCLE®

Indian Motorcycle, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII), is America’s first motorcycle company. Founded in 1901, Indian Motorcycle has won the hearts of motorcyclists around the world and earned distinction as one of America’s most legendary and iconic brands through unrivaled racing dominance, engineering prowess and countless innovations and industry firsts. Today that heritage and passion is reignited under new brand stewardship. To learn more, please visit www.indianmotorcycle.com.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Am at least glad to see some choices on the Aftermarket will do my best to leave it be for a while anyway, my experience is that once have 5,000 trouble free miles on your Ride chances are can go 50,000 this is not always the case but for me has been a pretty good rule not to mess with it until at least 5,000 which is about 5-6 months for me .. I do like the Exhaust on that Custom and Dirty Bird is selling it for $930.00 ..

·
Registered
971 Posts
I like this better than Klock. More of a racer look, which is what the namesake is about.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
It's interesting. I think he is right about the styling of the tank. I think the bike rocks.
I, however will be leaving my Scout is basic stock form.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeah, I like this much better than the Klock - still like the stock better, but this is definitely a beautiful bike.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like it far better than the Klock but it still does not come close to capturing the Scout's essence as well as the stock version does. The stock version really moves my spirit. This bike fails on that criteria.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only thing I prefer on the custom over stock is the exhaust. Not that I am a fan of the DB exhaust shape, but because the stock exhaust looks so gigantic and clunky to me.

I'd like to see a nice 2 into 1 tucked low.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

New York City, NY. — December 11, 2014 —

Indian Motorcycle and Dirty Bird Concepts revealed a customized 2015 Indian Scout at the International Motorcycle Shows New York City event. Dirty Bird Concepts owner, John Shope, was fired up about the project called “Scout 42” as soon as he saw the new motorcycle revealed at the Black Hills Rally in Sturgis SD earlier this year.

I like it :)

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
The stock Scout is far better looking. Those wheels are so wrong. Old style chrome spokes might be just right. I'm thinking I will lay down some miles on mine to see what breaks or falls off before I start replacing perfectly good parts.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I may be a fan of the exhaust IF it has any type of baffling in it? Being directly below your right ear could be very annoying. I am a fan of the headlight fairing. Very old school club racer look. I have a note in to DBC about the baffle question...

·
Registered
733 Posts
At this point I think the problem is the same as dealing with any beautiful woman. You are asking for trouble if you suggest a facelift might improve things. Im inclined to agree with others sentiments here, at least wait until things fall off on their own before replacing them. Seems to me if they don't fall off then our faith in Indian is being rewarded by a strong dependable machine that is fun to own and ride.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yeah ... uhhhh ... neither of the current custom jobs really do much for me. I'll ride mine stock until I decide it needs something more. Or less.

Reactions: the doctor

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
DBC did state the exhaust is indeed baffled. Trying to convince the parts/accessory mgr to convince the boss to get a DBC account. I'd be a guinee pig tester for the exhaust/headlight fairing. DynoJet is in works with a PCV. We shall see.......... :)

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
The only thing I prefer on the custom over stock is the exhaust. Not that I am a fan of the DB exhaust shape, but because the stock exhaust looks so gigantic and clunky to me.

I'd like to see a nice 2 into 1 tucked low.
Depends on How Low .. If Check the FXR4 I loved the Design until get carried away in the Twisties and the Bottom of these Pipes didn't look so pretty .. With the Dirty Bird Design have no worries with that ..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Depends on How Low .. If Check the FXR4 I loved the Design until get carried away in the Twisties and the Bottom of these Pipes didn't look so pretty .. With the Dirty Bird Design have no worries with that ..

That FXR4 is rockin. Is that a Thunderheader? they should have designed it with a swept tailpipe.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts