Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this on another part of the site, HD producing 500 and 750 entry level bikes. Honda has taken the lead introducing entry level bikes and HD has finally realized that you need to get buyers on board early on. It also doesn't look good that they have to use Jap bikes in their Riders Edge program because the Buells are breaking down.
Polaris take note, you need to get on top of this soon and release a Scout IMHO.

http://street.harley-davidson.com/en_US#

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would place a bet on watercooled ............. not certain about the # of cylinders though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yet to see a V twin DOHC engine from the Swiss company that Polaris brought a few years ago may be this could be it, or is the next small engined Victory time will tell, 800cc is a figure talked about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 & 500
749cc liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, V-Twin 60° four-valves per head
494cc liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, V-Twin 60° four-valves per head
6 Speed Transmission
Belt Drive
2-into-1 exhaust
Mid-mount controls
Single caliper disc brakes
Two-up seat with passenger pegs
Metal tank and fenders
LED tail lights and bullet signals
Locking gas cap, forks and ignition
17 inch front wheel, 15 inch rear wheel
59.5 inch wheelbase
480 pounds (wet)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Victory could definitely use an entry level bike. This is just to big a segment of the market to ignore. Look at all the different sizes of ATV's and snowmobiles Polaris makes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine plant in WI is building smaller motors as we speak for an entry level bike. Don't know any more than this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be surprised if the Scout got a watercooled inline four. Just a guess but I think if they made something like a Thunder Stroke twin but shrunk it down to about 80 ci and put it in a 500-550 lb bike they'd have another winner. I see an inline four being reserved for a very fast cruiser called the Four, a few more years down the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yoe know Im the guy that says Indian Smindian but I got to say a return t he stright 4 in a liquid would grab my interest.Something to really shake the market up! Could be fun !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So why the heck does a Scout need a smaller engine???????????

I say put that thunderstroke in a Judge size frame and let the good times roll!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
13030 said:
So why the heck does a Scout need a smaller engine???????????

I say put that thunderstroke in a Judge size frame and let the good times roll!!!!! 
And they would be good! But shaving 50 lbs off a Chief by chopping the fenders and calling it a Scout isn't going to set any sales records. That would be more of a base hit. IMO a home run would be a better Sportster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would love to see something from vic about 800 cc and around 550 lbs that wouldn't be difficult for lloyd to adopt cams and other performance mods from the big vics. a lightweight bike with about 90 ponies that can handle is alot of fun to ride, like a cafe sportster with more power... i'm in!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
14781 said:
i would love to see something from vic about 800 cc and around 550 lbs that wouldn't be difficult for lloyd to adopt cams and other performance mods from the big vics. a lightweight bike with about 90 ponies that can handle is alot of fun to ride, like a cafe sportster with more power... i'm in!
Polaris makes a 900cc 4 wheeler and it's stage II kit makes 94hp. No clue if it could be adapted to a two wheel frame though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
14781 said:
They did have that bike---but it was about 1700cc and called a Kingpin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even though Polaris has access to some small engines that they already produce they like HD have to stay with tradition if they name it the Scout. There's nothing wrong with them producing a light weight entry bike with a non traditional Indian motor, just don't call it a Scout.

Honda has taken the lead on this producing some very nice small engined bikes like the new 250 and 500 that look great, are light weight, handle and are at a price point for new riders. The industry needs new riders if our sport is to grow and speaking as a MSF rider coach everyone doesn't need a heavy bike thats too powerful for thier skill level just starting out.

I hope Indian in time produces a complete line of bikes including a sportbike model simiiar to the new Buell. Hell, hire Eric, Harley forced him to stay with the old sportster engine and it just coudn't cut it with modern design engines. When they finally allowed him to build the Buell with a Rotax motor they finally had a good sport bike, but they caved in to their old base and dropped it from their line.

Indian on the other hand has the opportunity to build anything they desire and come back strong as the innovative company they were always known for. Build the Scout, build a sport bike, build a dual sport, and build your base with young entry riders that will be loyal to the brand like Honda and now HD has finally figured out. Us Ol timers will still be around for a while and ride the big cruisers that we love.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4902 said:
I'd be surprised if the Scout got a watercooled inline four. Just a guess but I think if they made something like a Thunder Stroke twin but shrunk it down to about 80 ci and put it in a 500-550 lb bike they'd have another winner. I see an inline four being reserved for a very fast cruiser called the Four, a few more years down the road.
A good name for a new indian four cruizer/bagger/tourer would be the War Chief. I wouldn't be surprised if both Indian and Victory came out with a large four down the road and possibly a (super)sport bike configuration especially on the Vic side.
And it wasnt so long ago that a 750cc or even a 500cc wasn't an entry level bike. 3 round trips from Washington state to Ohio and back on a Honda 650 custom without mechanical issues carrying a fully loaded military duffel proved that. My Pin is actually an easier bike to operate. These new 'entry level' bikes are big enough to bite ya, hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts