Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been selling a nice dipstick that fits in all of the new Indians (even Scout). It has a thermometer built in at the top so you can monitor the oil temp. It is also easy to screw in and out without a tool. Anyway the manufacturer is retiring the business. I am receiving the last batch ever in a few days. The price went up a little. If you want one order fast. It is not a critical item but nice to have. I am sorry to no longer get this item. I have been on back order for a long time. Finally, I get one for my bike. I only have polished chrome, no black. LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/dipstick-temp-guage.html
Chrome dipstick.jpg

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
$150.00 for a dipstick is just dumb. Go to Walmart and get an IR shooter for $20.00 or so and one can measure anything...................

·
Silver member
3,457 Posts
$150.00 for a dipstick is just dumb. Go to Walmart and get an IR shooter for $20.00 or so and one can measure anything...................
Yea sure, but is that Walmart IR shooter chrome plated?? I think not. Besides doesn't everyone need to know exactly the oil temp right now without having to pull out that pesky heat gun? I mean, what if it goes up a degree or maybe even two and you aren't on it immediately? What then??

·
German Rider
1,471 Posts
*** ironic ***

The only dumb thing with this thermometer is, it is showing the wrong temps. Frickin' FAHRENHEIT instead of real CELSIUS. Who needs that shit....

Cu,
Sven

·
Silver member
3,457 Posts
*** ironic ***

The only dumb thing with this thermometer is, it is showing the wrong temps. Frickin' FAHRENHEIT instead of real CELSIUS.
Yes Demolition Man, ironic indeed. According to the internet, Danniel Gabriel Fahrenheit was a German physicist, inventor, and scientific instrument maker, whereas Celsius was Swedish.

As a German, have you no pride? Your country should drop the Celsius scale immediately and go back to Fahrenheit. Jump in, the water's warm. About 85 degrees or so (F of course).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am not going to bash the price of this, I am sure Marcus has his cost and of course added a premium to keep in business, with that said, it is definitely an accessory I would not buy for that price. I don't like the looks either. I would rather plug my PV3 and check the temp on demand, As an FYI I have purchased products from Marcus and they are outstanding quality.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,379 Posts
I did a ride a year ago in the southwest. Coming back it was hot and we were bucking a pretty strong head wind. My buddy was on his Springfield and me on my RM. He had a dipstick with a temp gage on it. As part of an experiement we did an hour at matched speeds (about 70 MPH), one with the temp gage on his bike (which had no oil cooler) and another on mine. According to that gage my bike oil temp never went above 210F and on his bike it stayed at the 220F. Temp changed very little as we would ride into some small towns. It convinced me that having a temp gage was not really needed. The oil temp stays pretty stable and in a good temp range. The only thing that might be interesting would be on a hot day and stuck in a traffic jam but in that scenario the heat off of the bike would tell you plenty on what was happening. Dean

For any Germans that might be reading this
210F is 98.8C
220F is 104.4C

·
Rider
585 Posts
Good Story. I had a CB750 I restored. I get 4 miles from home on the first ride and heard a strange noise and smelled oil. My gauge blew up in the air like one of those rockets we had when we were kids. I guess I plugged the PCV or something. So there is a nice chrome one like this about mile marker 138 off I-25 in New Mexico.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I did a ride a year ago in the southwest. Coming back it was hot and we were bucking a pretty strong head wind. My buddy was on his Springfield and me on my RM. He had a dipstick with a temp gage on it. As part of an experiement we did an hour at matched speeds (about 70 MPH), one with the temp gage on his bike (which had no oil cooler) and another on mine. According to that gage my bike oil temp never went above 210F and on his bike it stayed at the 220F. Temp changed very little as we would ride into some small towns. It convinced me that having a temp gage was not really needed. The oil temp stays pretty stable and in a good temp range. The only thing that might be interesting would be on a hot day and stuck in a traffic jam but in that scenario the heat off of the bike would tell you plenty on what was happening. Dean

For any Germans that might be reading this
210F is 98.8C
220F is 104.4C
I have done the hot day, traffic jam test on my bike with the PV3, keep in mind I have soft lowers, wind deflectors, voodoo air intake and tab zombies, the temp was pretty constant compared to a cold day, about 220-230F, the air intake would also log about 110-115F in both, the only difference on hot days was in the heat felt on my right calf, even with the captain itch and rear cylinder deactivation.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,379 Posts
I have done the hot day, traffic jam test on my bike with the PV3, keep in mind I have soft lowers, wind deflectors, voodoo air intake and tab zombies, the temp was pretty constant compared to a cold day, about 220-230F, the air intake would also log about 110-115F in both, the only difference on hot days was in the heat felt on my right calf, even with the captain itch and rear cylinder deactivation.
Yeah, to me as long as the oil stays below 250F I'm not worried about it. I have seen Harley riders when we push hard down in New Mexico slowly see their oil temp rise. Never seen anyone have an oil temp issue on the 111. Hell, I don't even check the oil level anymore. The most I will use between changes is less than half a quart. I keep my dipstick wrench on the bike but only use it when I need to change the oil. Dean

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it is an expensive item. But I only have a few left. So for those that want one...... Also, these bikes don't seem to have overheating problems so you don't need one. Having one though is interesting to see what temps the bike does operate. Once you use it for a year or so you will not look at the temp gauge very often. Another small point is that it is easy to remove without a tool. How long will it take before you can't find your dipstick removal tool?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I once owned a '57 FLH Harley, the last year Harley went without rear shocks.
I rode that bike everyday, went on trips every weekend rode in the hottest Texas days with my wife as a passenger and NEVER worried about the oil temperature.
In a weak moment I found in a Harley dealership the prettiest dipstick with a temp gauge on it for my bike, I bought it and from that day on I was obsessed with the oil temperature and was constantly checking and worrying about it.
Not knowing that there was not a damned thing that I could do about it if it was hot oil or not I religiously watched that gauge and wondered about it.
One day a guy come by and saw the temp gauge and he thought it would be a good idea if he got one for his bike.
I refused to depart with mine when he offered to give me the new price for it, but when he offered me $10.00 more than I paid for it... he left with it and I stuck my OEM stick back in the bike.

To my relief I finally went back to my weekend rides and quit worrying about the oil temp because I finally realized that there was nothing that I could do about it.

I rode that bike for years until it was stolen from me when I moved to California to work in the Doodlebug industry.
Nothing ever happened to it when I worried about it every time I rode it and nothing ever happened to it after I sold that gauge.

So... to this day I still see no reason to have an oil temp gauge to look at while going down the road.
Your opinion may vary, but I only spent about $12.00 and made and extra $10.00 when I sold it and with all the worry in between.
Would I worry more or less with an oil temp gauge that cost 10 time more than the one I bought?
I'll never know!!!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
By the way.... being young and totally inexperienced I once went through almost the same story with an oil pressure gauge on my '57 FLH, It carried about 20 psi when running down the road and idled with a 7 psi of oil pressure at idle.
Worry, worry, worry!
The gauge finally broke from all the vibration and MANY miles went by and I quit worrying about oil pressure on a Harley too!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts