Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching the Indian Videos regarding oil change and the technician had a dip stick wrench "that comes with your tool kit". It was a small black item shaped somewhat like a small shoehorn with a oblong bottle opener on the end. It fits over the dip stick and holds to the grooves in it. The small triangular "tool bag" on my Cheiftain had an allen wrench and fuse puller only. Is it located somewhere else on the bike? Did anyone else get one in their "tool kit"?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yup. Was in my tool kit. Upon receipt of your bike, your dealership should have gone over that with you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought one from my dealer for 5 bucks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mine was included in the "tool " bag, if ya wanna call that thing a tool bag and the tiny assortment of " tools ".

·
Registered
723 Posts
Peter, I'd go back to the dealer and let them know you didn't get one in your tool pouch but giving where you are located maybe he's betting you won't notice:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kind of hard to check your oil level with out it. My bike did not have the tool kit when I first picked it up. The dealer supplied me with the kit containing several allen wrenches and the plastic dip stick remover. Your dealer should supply the same to you.

·
Founding member
568 Posts
Kind of hard to check your oil level with it. Pull it out, oil drips on the motor, wipe it off, put it back and pull it out and oil drips on motor and floor, then after all that, you can't even read it on that shiny black plastic. I figure the level's good now and it will be good till the next oil change. Piss poor design, a sight glass would have been nice. Les see what the aftermarket comes up with.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Mine was in the tool bag. Funny about dealers though... I knew it had adjustable air shocks, so when I noticed the pump and gauge in the bag of stuff, I asked if that was for the air shocks and if they were going over that before I left. He actually told me it was an air pump for the tires in case I had a flat, and that I had tubeless tires.
Ummm... OK. New brand with new bikes means a steep learning curve. Especially in a place where they sell five or six makes. Yikes!
Maybe your dealer thought the dipstick wrench was a bottle opener. :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Mine was in the tool bag. Funny about dealers though... I knew it had adjustable air shocks, so when I noticed the pump and gauge in the bag of stuff, I asked if that was for the air shocks and if they were going over that before I left. He actually told me it was an air pump for the tires in case I had a flat, and that I had tubeless tires.
Ummm... OK. New brand with new bikes means a steep learning curve. Especially in a place where they sell five or six makes. Yikes!
Who is your dealer, Pyro?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Kind of hard to check your oil level with it. Pull it out, oil drips on the motor, wipe it off, put it back and pull it out and oil drips on motor and floor, then after all that, you can't even read it on that shiny black plastic. I figure the level's good now and it will be good till the next oil change. Piss poor design, a sight glass would have been nice. Les see what the aftermarket comes up with.

Easy, pull the stick out against a clean paper towel, take the towel and put it against the dip stick next to the level markings, it will get wet at the level, I found it just as easy as any bike to check. I do agree, needing a wrench is ridiculous, but some times my wing dip stick cover is so tight I need pliers, and when the oil is clean it's close to as hard to read, hence the use of the paper towel.
LOL ! it takes 20 pumps to put 75 psi into the shock, and when you bleed that air out, it is less than you exhale on a single breath, so doing the math, it would take roughly a month to pump up your rear tire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kind of hard to check your oil level with out it. My bike did not have the tool kit when I first picked it up. The dealer supplied me with the kit containing several allen wrenches and the plastic dip stick remover. Your dealer should supply the same to you.
I was wondering what that white plastic thing was...I thought it was a fuse puller? How do you use it?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes it's a fuse puller, the toll kit is poor for a .$25.000 bike, but do we need a big toll kit?
I think with the new electronic/computers on the new motorcycles repair is limited to checking rather than repairing & a small amount of nut tighten
When traveling most have road side assist or at the worst a ute

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think with the new electronic/computers on the new motorcycles repair is limited to checking rather than repairing & a small amount of nut tighten
When traveling most have road side assist or at the worst a ute
I also use a Aeromach dip stick now
At first before my new one I cut the old one up by removing the handle & glued the handle to the top of the opener this made it very easy to remove the awkward dip stick you just placed it on the dip stick top & turned it to remove it was a easy adaption to make cost a bit of glue & 10 minuets of time it was as easy as that

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
On the Chief Dark Horse we don't need no stinking wrench. DH dip stick has a paddle style top, just grab with finger and thumb and turn....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
On the Chief Dark Horse we don't need no stinking wrench. DH dip stick has a paddle style top, just grab with finger and thumb and turn....
They may change all the new models with them to the paddle type
The standard one on the 111 are a bugger to remove to check the oil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts