Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did the first oil change on my Roadmaster. Seems simple enough, until I attempted to check the oil level. OK, the owners manual says warm it up, shut it down and check in 1 minute. But with 5.5 quarts of (OEM) oil in it, it NEVER goes above the ADD line. When I looked at the manual, it shows a LONG dig stick for the Dark Horse and a shorter one (with the chromed top) for all "OTHERS". My dip stick looks like the Dark Horse piece with the "OTHERS" chrome top. It's 6-7/8" long from tip to the underside of the chrome top, 5-1/4" from tip to FULL line and 2-7/8" from tip to the ADD line. Whut-da-flock? Am I missing something? Photos attached...

Attachments

·
Founding Member
428 Posts
This is my second Indian, both machines show the oil level at or just barely above the add line on the dip stick. As long as you put 5.5 quarts in her she's fine. Neither of my bikes burn or leak oil and as long as the oil shows on the dipstick I'm a happy camper. I did buy an Aeromach dip stick and it makes seeing the oil level much easier than the stock one. It also looks a lot better and doesn't need the tool to unscrew the dipstick either.

Reactions: redarden

·
Bronze member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! You guys are great! I was confident that it didn't need any more oil, but it got weird when the stick didn't even look like the one in the owner's manual. I'm gonna get that temp gauge unit! Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Today I did the first oil change on my Roadmaster. Seems simple enough, until I attempted to check the oil level. OK, the owners manual says warm it up, shut it down and check in 1 minute. But with 5.5 quarts of (OEM) oil in it, it NEVER goes above the ADD line. When I looked at the manual, it shows a LONG dig stick for the Dark Horse and a shorter one (with the chromed top) for all "OTHERS". My dip stick looks like the Dark Horse piece with the "OTHERS" chrome top. It's 6-7/8" long from tip to the underside of the chrome top, 5-1/4" from tip to FULL line and 2-7/8" from tip to the ADD line. Whut-da-flock? Am I missing something? Photos attached...
16 Springfield here same dip stick. I watched the tech pour in 5.5 qts in mine. rode 20 miles home checked it hot and it showed up to the full COLD mark. ?????? I'm not so sure that the manuel is a misprint saying to check it straight up instead of on the side stand.

·
Registered
853 Posts
This is my second Indian, both machines show the oil level at or just barely above the add line on the dip stick. As long as you put 5.5 quarts in her she's fine. Neither of my bikes burn or leak oil and as long as the oil shows on the dipstick I'm a happy camper. I did buy an Aeromach dip stick and it makes seeing the oil level much easier than the stock one. It also looks a lot better and doesn't need the tool to unscrew the dipstick either.
Aeromach is nice but man that sucker is hot when checking at op temp. much easier to read for sure

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ditto on the thumbs up for the Aeromach!

·
Founding Member
428 Posts
I had to wait on my Aeromach dipstick but they do get in stock but sell out quickly. Yes it can get hot checking the oil but I always wear gloves when I ride. Just force of habit and witnessing my friend grind down his palm when he took a tumble off his dirt bike. It was a coral based road and he spent a very long time fighting infections. Gloves are now my constant companion when I ride.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
I replaced my OE dipstick with the one that has the temp gauge and I love it.

http://www.indianaftermarket.com/dipstick-temp-guage.html
Anyone else's temp guage dipstick from Indian Aftermarket have water in it? Mine has been unreadable for day.
Falling out of love? Is this the Aeromach dipstick or totally different? I'm a little confused. I'm getting a tried of the heat checking the level. Wonder if there is anything that isn't so hot but not sure how it could be being what it is and where.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
He is a vendor here. Great product Imo and customer service.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
16 Springfield here same dip stick. I watched the tech pour in 5.5 qts in mine. rode 20 miles home checked it hot and it showed up to the full COLD mark. ?????? I'm not so sure that the manuel is a misprint saying to check it straight up instead of on the side stand.
You 100% sure it's the same dipstick? The darkhores stick is different than the chief

1 - 20 of 23 Posts