Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two days I've found it difficult to start my Roadmaster. The first day it took four start attempts. Each time it would fire for one or two revolutions and then stop. Twice it backfired at the stop. The second day it took eight start attempts. It fired three or four times on the fourth through seventh attempts. It backfired at the stop three times during the attempts. Both days, once started successfully, it ran perfectly all day with multiple starts and stops. The bike has 2000 miles and is ridden regularly and has a battery tender on it during cold weather. The only non stock additions are V&H slip-ons and Indian stage 1 air cleaner.

My question is that I'd like to know if this is a normal experience just due to cold weather or do I need to bring it to the dealer attention?

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain is a little bit cold blooded compared to some of the Harley Davidson's I have owned. With that said, 33 degrees is not all that cold. Your Roadmaster should not be having trouble starting in those temperatures.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No problems here, started at around 22 degrees today just to warm her up and get the oil flowing and fantasize about riding while it was snowing outside. Backfire doesn't sound normal at all. Could be bad gas...water or condensation. Throw a few ounces of Sta-bil in the tank might help. Could be a bad battery too, I'm not too impressed by the stock battery.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Could be a bad battery too, I'm not too impressed by the stock battery.
Why? No problem here so wondering what is wrong with stock. Thinking of adding heated gear and would like to get ahead of any voltage problems.

·
Founding member
983 Posts
From what I understand, Spirit Lake Iowa does experience some cold weather. Surely Polaris did some cold weather testing on these bikes?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have had the same issue, and think the oil is a little heavy for this early temp was thinking of putting a block heater glued to the under side of the engine .I'm thinking the computer is picking up a slow crank do to the heavy oil in cold weather so it shuts the starer down.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The last two days I've found it difficult to start my Roadmaster. The first day it took four start attempts. Each time it would fire for one or two revolutions and then stop. Twice it backfired at the stop. The second day it took eight start attempts. It fired three or four times on the fourth through seventh attempts. It backfired at the stop three times during the attempts. Both days, once started successfully, it ran perfectly all day with multiple starts and stops. The bike has 2000 miles and is ridden regularly and has a battery tender on it during cold weather. The only non stock additions are V&H slip-ons and Indian stage 1 air cleaner.

My question is that I'd like to know if this is a normal experience just due to cold weather or do I need to bring it to the dealer attention?
It could be a moisture buildup problem. Are you putting non-ethanol in the tank?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

Me too.
Two mornings back to back.
Low 30's.

It took two attempts both mornings, pretty much the same experience as yours. Both first attempts resulted in a fault code that I promptly forgot. The bike started fine for the rest of the day after the initial difficulty.

I ride daily, about 175 miles.
That means that I also fuel daily so I can eliminate a low battery or bad fuel.
What I have NOT done yet is check my battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

I do not want to be stubborn on this but a daily rider should NOT have to be put on a battery tender overnight in order to deal with 30 degree starts in the morning.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Last year my Chieftain was having trouble getting going, I tendered it and it still did it. The bike would really struggle to fire...sounded like a low battery, but dealer said these bikes don't have the best starters, so he changed mine and it solved the problem for me. Not saying that's what ya'll are experiencing, but something to take a look at if the problem continues.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Mine has done that a couple times as well. I keep mine on a tender as well and I check my battery connections a couple times a year. Not sure what the issue would be.

·
Super Moderator
4,852 Posts
Cold combustion chamber, low compression, slow crank speed and heavy thick oil may have something to do with it??

·
5,094 Posts
I have some problems starting in the cold as well.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I had that problem on my rm and I started rocking the throttle a little since there is no choke.

·
2,037 Posts

Cold combustion chamber, low compression, slow crank speed and heavy thick oil may have something to do with it??
Chieftain #873 is also sluggish starting below 40 F, as it was last winter. It has never NOT started, but I sometimes have to make more than one attempt. The battery voltage has dropped low enough upon starting a couple of times during the last two weeks that I've had to reset the clock. Of course, my battery is two years old and has over 41,000 miles on it. I think I'll load-test it this week, just out of curiosity. Still beats kicking...
--- Randall

·
Registered
458 Posts
T try to use ethanol free fuel sold around here (N.C.) as recreational fuel and I use it in my boat as ell. You should be able to look up on the internet where you can find some for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Road Master is sluggish also after it cools off during starting. After riding to high school footballs games and sitting a couple hours in the cold, it is slow cranking. I keep my bike in a heated garage and have no issues there. Just after sitting in the cold a while. I believe it's a weak size battery, because when I check battery voltage on a BMW K1200lt battery that is almost three years old, that battery has more voltage.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

You have the intake and exhaust....did you do the flash for them?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Also, these bikes must be running a very lean start-up mixture, I would suggest a Dobec to add some fuel. It is popping because it is too lean, it will fire back into the intake if it is. Richen the mixture, all of you are too lean.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts