Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Silver member
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all, my motorbike's been in the shop in New Orleans since last Saturday. I rode down there to get it serviced up, it's been awhile since the last oil change and there was that recall thing that I wanted to get addressed and I noticed the check engine light went on and off and sometimes this thing <!> came up from time to time. The service work went fine, and so did the recall issue. Several hours later the mechanic came and told me to come see something (which is NEVER a good thing). My bike was up on the rack with the seat off. He pointed to the battery area and in particular a lot of wires that has been chewed up. I mean literally chewed up. He said that a mouse (or mice) had found their way there and had commenced to chowing down on assorted wires. He said that he was surprised that I was able to crank it up and ride down here like that. It cranked up just fine, and all the lights worked. Didn't try the horn though. He then started saying "I can splice this, replace that, cut that off" and so on. The shop and parts manager walked in and took a look at the situation. His eyes bugged out and he said "you have to leave it with us, there's no way I'm going to let you ride out of my shop with a patch-job. I'm surprised you made it here (he knew I was from Baton Rouge). We're going to replace the wiring harness and do it right". So fine, no problem. I'm good with doing it right the first time.

The only problem was to find a ride from New Orleans to Baton Rouge at 3PM on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Several calls were fruitless. Called a couzan who rides with the Blue Knights every Saturday. Luckily he said that he just parked his motorbike and walked into the house when I called. He showered and then picked me up and drove me up to Baton Rouge with no complaints. Of course he's an Indian driver too and has a '15 Chief Vintage. He even said that when my motorbike is ready to call him and he'd drive up to Baton Rouge and bring me down to New Orleans to get my motorbike. Not bad.

So I began to research various ways to address the mouse problem. I've found that mice don't care for the aroma of ammonia or white vinegar. Ammonia smells like cat urine to them and white vinegar is just strong to the smell. And I think that I will get one of those fake owl things and set it down next to my motorbike when I get it home. And ride it more.

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
We have rats. Sometimes they like to climb into a warm engine bay and make a home. I wet vac the shit & mess then I spray WD40 lightly around the area, worked well. Sounds like a cool cousin, hope you're back in the saddle soon.

Reactions: A-58

·
Bronze member
3,640 Posts
moth balls work too... just put some around the edges.. but what I finally did is went to Menards and bought one of those sonic things.. started off we had a bat in the garage and I thought for 40 bucks I'd give it a try... it worked... on the back of the thing there is a switch for different pitches (none a human can hear) with one for rodents (mice).. when the bat was gone switched it to that... don't know if it works or not but I haven't seen a mouse or droppings since..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Had the same issue with a car...mice ate wiring. I keep traps around now and catch a lot of mice. Good luck with the rewiring !

·
Rider
1,539 Posts
Yeah, it's really a shame that MC dealers don't have loaners . . .

Good luck with the re-wire.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm glad they are fixing it right. That patch job could have eventually given you problems. It's a common problem with cars in my area. My brother got rid of a newer BMW car because of this. Depending on how long they have been chewing it can be a costly nightmare.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
On a car that will be sitting, I take a couple of the old ladies nylons and put moth balls in them and toss under the hood. I would assume one could also put them in certain spots on your bike.

·
Silver member
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that if I ever get off the money and do the remodel/renno/demolish and or tear down and rebuild job at the house, I'm going to have to budget a couple hundred square feet of climate controlled storage for the motorbike and lawnmower for sure. This is war.

·
Bronze member
4,870 Posts
One of the things the auto industry and motorcycle industry did several years ago is started making the insulation soy based, yes food based. Because it was more environmentally friendly than petroleum based insulation. Well you guessed it mice and rodents love the new wiring.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
One of the things the auto industry and motorcycle industry did several years ago is started making the insulation soy based, yes food based. Because it was more environmentally friendly than petroleum based insulation. Well you guessed it mice and rodents love the new wiring.
And, the wiring WILL NOT last very long.

·
Founding Member / Biggest Procrastinator
84 Posts
And then there are these lil' b-tards. Not big enough for a meal but big enough to cause real damage

Red Squirrel

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster w/BBK116
333 Posts
moth balls work too... just put some around the edges.. but what I finally did is went to Menards and bought one of those sonic things.. started off we had a bat in the garage and I thought for 40 bucks I'd give it a try... it worked... on the back of the thing there is a switch for different pitches (none a human can hear) with one for rodents (mice).. when the bat was gone switched it to that... don't know if it works or not but I haven't seen a mouse or droppings since..
A service tech called me in a couple yrs ago and showed me my air cleaner completely full of corn which I had stored in the garage, he suggested placing moth balls around the bike. Since then I’ve placed them around the engine and haven’t had mouse problems again.

·
Silver member
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention this earlier in the thread, but when I was in the back looking at the mouse eaten wires assembly around the battery of my motorbike, I noticed on the rack next to mine was an Indian with it's license plate mounted upside down. I pointed this out to the mechanic, thinking that someone was drunk or something when mounting the plate. He said that the owner was a "One Percenter" and rides with the Pagans. I didn't know that the Pagans were in the New Orleans area. The oldest group in New Orleans forever it seems was The Galloping Geese. Then the Bandido's moved into Southeast Louisiana in the 70s. Just something I thought that I would share, nothing big.

·
Silver member
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's time for an update with the war on whatever it was that ate up the wiring on my motorbike. First thing I did was put some ammonia out in a pan and set it directly under my motorbike until I figured out what else to do. It kind of evaporates up in a few days. Then I got on Amazon and ordered two of those plastic owl things, about a foot tall. Placed one on the floor with it's back against the potting bench facing out towards my lawnmower and motorbike. I put the other one at the back corner of the house and patio where they might be coming in from the back yard. Then instead of dumping the soiled kitty litter in the garbage, I leave it bagged up (and not tied up) and put in strategic locations around the area. The poop bags are replaced in a timely manner with fresh replacements. I smelled a bit of a rat presence in my storage room too, so I began putting a bag in there too. Knock on wood there have been no more sightings, damage or the "odor de rodence" anywhere. Yay! I called my pest control man and told him of my efforts. He said putting the soiled kitty litter out is the best thing to do, but he can't recommend doing so to his customers. That's the problem with old houses, the dang varmints always seem to find a way in there. They don't go into the main house though, my two house cats keep it patrolled up real good.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Did you turn that in to insurance? Bet that was an expensive bill.. Hope your problems go away and sorry for your bad luck. I hate to kill anything if I'm not going to eat it but when something messes with a bike, war is on!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts