Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between:

Thunder Stroke Stage 1 Performance Air Intake
Item # 2881779-521

and

Thunder Stroke High Flow Air Intake with Stage 1 Calibration
Item # 2880654-156

They are both the same price! But the first can only be dealer installed.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
either of them can be installed by the rider to save labor cost. Just take the bike to them after to have them use the calibration card that comes with it to get the fueling right.

The difference between the 2 are 1. the looks 2. The high flow claims an increase in horsepower.

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
The performance Ram style air cleaner does not come with a washable filter, thus it needs to be replaced every 10K. The High Flow air filter will last a lifetime with proper care...

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

Item # 2881779-521

and

Item # 2880654-156

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

Item # 2881779-521

and

Item # 2880654-156

So far everyone I've talked to who does custom tunes prefers the round one over the oval "high performance"

The round one does not get as hot as the "high performance". The Oval one picks up more engine heat and doesn't breathe as free.

Anyway, that's what I was told.

But I like the oval one because the air filter is covered so you hear less noise. But at the same time I don’t like the filter because the shape causes the edge of the filter housing to touch my leg when I ride so I keep bouncing back and forth between the two not knowing which to get.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
The round one has a washable element while the oval has a paper element you have to buy every time you change. Cheaper to wash the re-usable one.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
The performance Ram style air cleaner does not come with a washable filter, thus it needs to be replaced every 10K. The High Flow air filter will last a lifetime with proper care...
weeeeelllll....not exactly....I wash, rinse, and dry my filter element about once a year with no issues...you just have to be careful and not scrub too hard. I usually use some Simple Green and a soft toothbrush.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
weeeeelllll....not exactly....I wash, rinse, and dry my filter element about once a year with no issues...you just have to be careful and not scrub too hard. I usually use some Simple Green and a soft toothbrush.
Interesting. How long have you been washing it? Does it look like paper but really designed to be washed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Interesting. How long have you been washing it? Does it look like paper but really designed to be washed?

I installed it back in 2018, so at least twice since then. It is not paper in the sense of "it's going to fall apart if it gets wet", but paper as in "hey, this thing might get wet sometimes, so we need to make it thicker".

Reactions: theMucker

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
The round unit emits an audible intake noise, which I did not want. The oval air cleaner makes no sound that I can hear from the rider's seat. If either one really makes a noticeable improvement in performance over the OEM airbox, I can't feel it with my arse dynamometer. The OEM unit took lots of cool air from the openings at the front of the frame and might have been able to produce a positive pressure (RAM air) if it didn't have another opening at it's inboard, front area.
I DO like the looks of the oval unit though.
Stage 1 airbox.jpg

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
Personally, I like hearing that big round one suck the air when you about 3/4 throttle. You can literally hear it sucking the air in. Badass in my mind...

Reactions: Malboo

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The round unit emits an audible intake noise, which I did not want. The oval air cleaner makes no sound that I can hear from the rider's seat. If either one really makes a noticeable improvement in performance over the OEM airbox, I can't feel it with my arse dynamometer. The OEM unit took lots of cool air from the openings at the front of the frame and might have been able to produce a positive pressure (RAM air) if it didn't have another opening at it's inboard, front area.
I DO like the looks of the oval unit though.
View attachment 578633
Did you put that design on the oval air intake?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yes. It was easy. Just a piece of 1/16" thick black plastic painted to match the bike. The "Roadmaster" came off of the original lower fairings and I attached it with double sided tape.
Thanks.

With the black oval air cleaner I prefer the looks of the round one only because I don’t like the looks of the completely black oval cover without some chrome or color to break it up. Because of that I like the looks of the stock air cover because it at least breaks the completely mat black air cleaner with a silver center insert.

And the round black air cleaner has silver lettering.

Since my 2018 Chieftain Limited engine and exhaust are a combination of both black and chrome I’ve been trying to decide if I go with the oval air cleaner do I go black or chrome?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts