Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Did you ride today

579575 Views 9515 Replies 1088 Participants Last post by  Lindian
I thought it would be fun to read about our riding adventures.

I got out today and rode 54 miles on my Yamaha 850XS. The sky was blue and it was a warm 62 degrees afternoon, just right for the first ride of the year. The bike fired right up and ran like a champ no problems after sitting in the garage for 3 months. I buy my gas from a place that has 100% gas, no ethanol. I rode alone as I do most of the time. I have several routes, I call them laps, than I ride. Today's was on the river road run that is nice with a lot of curves and scenic views of the lake. The roads are all two lane and not very much traffic. The posted speed limits are 45 but on my bike 60 feels just right. Some of this is why I love to ride in the country; number of red lights 1, no. of cars I needed to pass 1, cars that passed me 0, cop cars 0, curves in the road many, smiles on my face - all the time. I didn't want to come home but the sun was going down and so was the temperature so I returned to my nest. I can't tell you how great that ride made me feel. Hell, I don't need to , you already know. Get busy riding my brothers and sisters and let's hear about it. Photos would be great too.
9121 - 9140 of 9516 Posts

· Premium Member
436 Posts
Most stunning event on my ride!
I was riding through the Pokomoke Forest where I often see a lot of wildlife- deer, turkeys, rabbits, foxes , squirrels, groundhogs etc.
At one point I startled a red tailed hawk which was on the ground by the shoulder of the road. As it got up it flew along side of me about a foot in front of my right rear view mirror. It’s wing tips we’re almost touching the mirror but we kept that pace together for about 100 yards until the canopy opened up and it banked up and off to the right into the woods. I could see it’s beak and eye as it looked back at me intermittently and I could see every little feather on its legs where it transitioned to its talons. I could have reached out and touched it. Incredible. Very moving.
I have read and heard about people dreaming they were flying. I have never had that dream (Falling from precipitous heights? Yeah, I’ve had that dream a lot but not flying)
I think a big part of the appeal or riding for me is the sensation akin to flying, especially on a twisty 2 lane road with a lot of lean angle. But I have never felt so much like flying as when that creature was flying off my rear view mirror. I’m certain that is my Spirit Guide.
“You can be my wingman anytime!”

Ride safely, my friends.
Very cool! You were enjoying the sensation of flying like a bird, and that hawk was envious of you being on a motorcycle. Jealous of the way you could move along so effortlessly without having to flap your arms, and how you could make that fearsome and powerful sound!

· Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
312 Posts
Most stunning event on my ride!
I was riding through the Pokomoke Forest where I often see a lot of wildlife- deer, turkeys, rabbits, foxes , squirrels, groundhogs etc.
At one point I startled a red tailed hawk which was on the ground by the shoulder of the road. As it got up it flew along side of me about a foot in front of my right rear view mirror. It’s wing tips we’re almost touching the mirror but we kept that pace together for about 100 yards until the canopy opened up and it banked up and off to the right into the woods. I could see it’s beak and eye as it looked back at me intermittently and I could see every little feather on its legs where it transitioned to its talons. I could have reached out and touched it. Incredible. Very moving.
I have read and heard about people dreaming they were flying. I have never had that dream (Falling from precipitous heights? Yeah, I’ve had that dream a lot but not flying)
I think a big part of the appeal or riding for me is the sensation akin to flying, especially on a twisty 2 lane road with a lot of lean angle. But I have never felt so much like flying as when that creature was flying off my rear view mirror. I’m certain that is my Spirit Guide.
“You can be my wingman anytime!”

Ride safely, my friends.
[/QUOTE]

OK, OK, OK!…
Now it’s getting a little wierd!

So last week I had Mr. Red tail as a riding buddy.
Today I went out for a Fathers Day, Dawn’s early light, ride to the Blackwater wildlife refuge. And wildlife there was. Many white tail and Sika deer. Like, 15 in onesies and twosies. (I notice they would just stand on the shoulder and stare at me until I was within 10-20 yard and then they would turn and scamper into the woods. I suspect they were classic “deer in the headlight “ even though it was daylight. )
Suddenly a red tailed hawk swoops down low over my head from behind, flies down low in front of my Scout for a long 5 count and banks up and off to the left.
20 minutes later another red tailed hawk drops out of the tree to my right and cruised out front for a dozen or so wing beats until he trailed off.
THEN, I rounded a corner and a bald eagle was hovering 6 feet of the road surface as I passed him on the right.
To cap it off an osprey sailed over the road in front of me for about 50 yards.
I am not sure what all this means or if it’s just a natural coincidence but I have to say as wonderful an experience as it was, it’s kind of spooking me out a bit.
I’m reminded of the King of the Hill episode where Bobby revives a whooping crane he thought he’d killed.

Maybe, in the words of Bobby Hill…,
Outerwear Hairstyle Vertebrate Textile Sleeve

“I’m a Shaman!”

Ride safely, my friends.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
OK, OK, OK….

OK, OK, OK!…
Now it’s getting a little wierd!

So last week I had Mr. Red tail as a riding buddy.
Today I went out for a Fathers Day, Dawn’s early light, ride to the Blackwater wildlife refuge. And wildlife there was. Many white tail and Sika deer. Like, 15 in onesies and twosies. (I notice The would just stand on the shoulder and stare at me until I was within 10-20 yard and then they would turn and scamper into the woods. I suspect they were classic “deer in the headlight “ even though it was daylight. )
Suddenly a red tailed hawk swoops down low over my head from behind, flies down low in front of my Scout for a long 5 count and banks up and off to the left.
20 minutes later another red tailed hawk drops out of the tree to my right and cruised out front for a dozen or so wing beats until he trailed off.
THEN, I rounded a corner and a bald eagle was hovering 6 feet of the road surface as I passed him on the right.
To cap it off an osprey sailed over the road in front of me for about 50 yards.
I am not sure what all this means or if it’s just a natural coincidence but I have to say as wonderful an experience as it was, it’s kind of spooking out a bit.
I’m reminded of the King of the Hill episode where Bobby revives a whooping crane he thought he’d killed.

Maybe, in the words of Bobby Hill…,
View attachment 693582

“I’m a Shaman!”

Ride safely, my friends.
The Romans viewed such things as good omens. Go buy a lottery ticket.

· Registered
456 Posts
Rode from west TN to Lancaster Ohio and back this week. Took mainly back roads to avoid cities and truck traffic on the interstate highways. Not too bad hot up north but coming back home the southern heat and humidity was brutal when stopping at traffic lights. Bike ran great! Saw this castle in Lexington Ky.

Tim
Vehicle Trip computer Display device Auto part Personal luxury car
Sky Ecoregion Building Natural landscape Fence

· Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
24 Posts
After watching MotoGP qualifying, I took as many backroads as I could to an open house for a new Indian dealer in Connecticut. Enjoyed the shade on the ride as much as I could--temps in mid to upper 80s today. Street Stuff Cycle, 192 N. Main St, Norwich CT. Great space, good choice of Indians and Triumphs, met some good staff, and lots of people test riding Indians (the factory truck was in town). Discovered Johnny's Clam Shack next door, too. Good destination ride on a hot day.

Was test riding bikes at Laconia a couple weeks ago, and a buddy tried to make a deal for a H-D Street Glide--the dealer wanted $4000 over MSRP! He won't be buying there. I told him to check the Chieftain instead. I don't know about you guys, but I haven't run into an Indian dealer who's gouging buyers like that.

9121 - 9140 of 9516 Posts