Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Did you ride today

581607 Views 9530 Replies 1089 Participants Last post by  reinie
I thought it would be fun to read about our riding adventures.

I got out today and rode 54 miles on my Yamaha 850XS. The sky was blue and it was a warm 62 degrees afternoon, just right for the first ride of the year. The bike fired right up and ran like a champ no problems after sitting in the garage for 3 months. I buy my gas from a place that has 100% gas, no ethanol. I rode alone as I do most of the time. I have several routes, I call them laps, than I ride. Today's was on the river road run that is nice with a lot of curves and scenic views of the lake. The roads are all two lane and not very much traffic. The posted speed limits are 45 but on my bike 60 feels just right. Some of this is why I love to ride in the country; number of red lights 1, no. of cars I needed to pass 1, cars that passed me 0, cop cars 0, curves in the road many, smiles on my face - all the time. I didn't want to come home but the sun was going down and so was the temperature so I returned to my nest. I can't tell you how great that ride made me feel. Hell, I don't need to , you already know. Get busy riding my brothers and sisters and let's hear about it. Photos would be great too.
8561 - 8580 of 9531 Posts

· Administrator
25,708 Posts
Glorious ride up the coast, followed by a HUGE letdown at the Canadian border. A fine day of riding twisties and coastal communities, followed by the grind of the never-ending bumper-to-bumper Seattle traffic. We got to the Canadian border in good time, only to find out we needed an “acceptable “ COVID test within 72hrs. Julie and I had both carefully reviewed the Canadian guidelines just a couple of weeks ago, and they said “any USA foreign national may provide an accepted proof of COVID vaccination (Moderna or Pfizer) as exempt status.” So we showed up all smiling only to be told we were ineligible. No rapid tests available at this evening hour and they would not be permissible anyway.

So we were immediately out $500 in hotel reservations. Plus they added insult to injury as they thoroughly searched all of our bikes, in my case looking for guns. So much for the brotherhood of police. As Julie said, “F**k those Canadian a**holes. I’m never spending another dime up there.”

So we will make lemonade out of these lemons. Cascade Loop tomorrow, then Hwy 2 to Kaluspell and Glacier NP.

· Super Moderator
2017 Roadmaster / 2010 KM Vintage
2,614 Posts
Glorious ride up the coast, followed by a HUGE letdown at the Canadian border. A fine day of riding twisties and coastal communities, followed by the grind of the never-ending bumper-to-bumper Seattle traffic. We got to the Canadian border in good time, only to find out we needed an “acceptable “ COVID test within 72hrs. Julie and I had both carefully reviewed the Canadian guidelines just a couple of weeks ago, and they said “any USA foreign national may provide an accepted proof of COVID vaccination (Moderna or Pfizer) as exempt status.” So we showed up all smiling only to be told we were ineligible. No rapid tests available at this evening hour and they would not be permissible anyway.

So we were immediately out $500 in hotel reservations. Plus they added insult to injury as they thoroughly searched all of our bikes, in my case looking for guns. So much for the brotherhood of police. As Julie said, “F**k those Canadian a**holes. I’m never spending another dime up there.”

So we will make lemonade out of these lemons. Cascade Loop tomorrow, then Hwy 2 to Kaluspell and Glacier NP.

View attachment 647677 View attachment 647678
Julie and I had both carefully reviewed the Canadian guidelines just a couple of weeks ago, and they said “any USA foreign national may provide an accepted proof of COVID vaccination (Moderna or Pfizer) as exempt status.” So we showed up all smiling only to be told we were ineligible
Interesting. It probably is related to the UK placing restrictions on US travelers last week.
I suppose they don't consider your status of Sheriff at the Indian Forums to be "essential." :rolleyes:

Plus they added insult to injury as they thoroughly searched all of our bikes, in my case looking for guns.
Perhaps a change in wardrobe and art decor is warranted? Skinny jeans, with a scoop neck shirt topped with a man-bun? And, that subversive artwork probably alerted them that you may be gang affiliatied. :cautious:

Stay safe.

Oh, your west coast ride inspired us. We leave today for a weekend through Arkansas.

· Registered
131 Posts
@HINK
So yesterday I'm coming home from work, around 2:30 Northbound I5 just south of Tacoma....and I see an Indian.....wait....that's HINK!!!!

There was someone pulling a trailer behind you on a red bike.

And I'm wondering, where's Julie...then whoosh she blows by.
I thought....Damn, I wish I was doing THAT instead of THIS.

Bummer about the border crossing.
Funny times right now.

· Registered
590 Posts
There is still a reservation system to get into Glacier N.P. until after Labor Day. If you are planning on going into the park and riding the Going to the Sun Road, you better see what you can get for a reserved entry pass.

Dates and Locations Requiring a $2.00 Entry Reservation Ticket
Day-use visitors who arrive by private vehicle or motorcycle must have an Entry Reservation Ticket and a current park pass when entering the park through the West and St. Mary Entrances, or via the Camas Road, between 6 am and 5 pm from May 28 to September 6, 2021. Please be prepared to show your reservation confirmation and photo ID at park entrance stations upon arrival.

Entry Reservation Tickets are limited. Approximately 3/4 of the Entry Reservation Tickets will be available up to 60 days in advance with the remaining 1/4 of Entry Reservation Tickets being released two days in advance. Prior to the full opening of the Going-to-the-Sun Road there will be fewer tickets available each day.
  • Entry Reservation Tickets can be secured at www.recreation.gov beginning at 8 am MDT on April 29, 2021.
  • Visitors entering the park at Many Glacier, Two Medicine, Polebridge, or along Highway 2 do not need an Entry Reservation Ticket. Access to these areas may be temporarily limited during times of peak visitation.

Reserving a $2.00 Entry Reservation Ticket Online
Entry Reservation Tickets are available online at www.recreation.gov or:
  • by calling the Reservation Line: 877-444-6777
  • Reservation International: 606-515-6777
  • Reservation Line (TDD) 877-833-6777
  • or by using the recreation.gov mobile app (iOS/Android).

· Silver member
8,000 Posts

View attachment 647677 View attachment 647678
Sorry to hear you couldn't get in. Completely Ridiculous.
This covid / border stuff is becoming a joke.
What's funny is Americans can drive through our border now - if you have the ✌ correct ✌paper work - but I still cant drive into the States - BUT - I can fly into the States. How does that make any sense.
I can't drive in my own personal car but I can enter the country by airplane sitting next to a bunch of strangers breathing the same circulated air in a capsule.

· Bronze member
2,471 Posts
Had a good ride though the fun roads of NW Arkansas, about 300 miles.
For the first time ever, I'm glad I had modern electronics and ABS.
I came to a T in the road and was slowing down when the front ABS started doing its thing, and the bars pulled to the right slightly 3 times.
There was fresh tar oil still in the center of the lane. I usually ride on the left or right, but wasn't paying attention to where I was at that moment. Lesson relearned!
ABS save me from going down.
Other than that good ride.

· Bronze member
4,183 Posts
No riding today! WHY?? Cause we,or should I say "I" had to work on the "HONEY DO LIST" today "AGAIN" !!! GRRRRRRR!!! And then,to add even more insult to injury,today was the perfect day to be out on the scooter,but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,that didn't happen!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

· Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,270 Posts
Being a geographical bachelor for today, sorry @Davetac1 , I was able to get 240 miles with some friends on VA backroads. Upper 70s, scattered clouds, low humidity, you couldn't ask for much better. Heck of a way to break the new bike in ;)

Even when stuck behind slow cars, we still had a good ride. Worst one was a dully going 40 in a 50. There was a semi behind him who had to keep hitting their brakes. You know you're slow when that happens :oops:

· Administrator
25,708 Posts
There is still a reservation system to get into Glacier N.P. until after Labor Day. If you are planning on going into the park and riding the Going to the Sun Road, you better see what you can get for a reserved entry pass.

Dates and Locations Requiring a $2.00 Entry Reservation Ticket
Day-use visitors who arrive by private vehicle or motorcycle must have an Entry Reservation Ticket and a current park pass when entering the park through the West and St. Mary Entrances, or via the Camas Road, between 6 am and 5 pm from May 28 to September 6, 2021. Please be prepared to show your reservation confirmation and photo ID at park entrance stations upon arrival.
My thanx for this headzup. The fun continues as no reservations are available — at all. Sigh…. We will figure out some kind of alternative — mebbe a ride around Flathead Lake? Hotel reservations tomorrow at $263/ nite at Kalispell so we are kinda stuck. Making lemons into lemons is becoming somewhat tiresome, ya? But we are still riding ~~ so that’s always good!

Todays ride was Colville to Polson. Fine weather and great scenery. Got a scare when my check engine light came on. This was right after we filled up at Sandy Point, and I knew from prior experience not to freak out ~~ that it could be as simple as not securing the gas cap properly, or bad gas /not from food, mind you). I resecured the gas cap and the lite was still on, but the bike was running great so I pushed on. At the next fillup the lite went off. Whew!

We finished the day with a perfect evening having dinner overlooking Flathead Lake, followed by a cigar and drinks. We pulled chairs from our hotel room and sat by the waters edge and had a second cigar and some adult beverages as the sun was setting. Simply perfect!

Photo #4 is a wildfire that just popped up across the lake. This has been another constant on this ride. Every state we’ve been in has fires, and the devastation is staggering…

· Administrator
25,708 Posts
So yesterday I'm coming home from work, around 2:30 Northbound I5 just south of Tacoma....and I see an Indian.....wait....that's HINK!!!!

There was someone pulling a trailer behind you on a red bike.

And I'm wondering, where's Julie...then whoosh she blows by.
I thought....Damn, I wish I was doing THAT instead of THIS.
Great to wave at ya! The guy on the red bike is one of our riding buds on a Goldwing ~~ 18,000 mi on his bike since March! Makes me feel like a slacker ~~ only 13,000 on my bike since I got it in April.

· Super Moderator
2,614 Posts
Had a good ride though the fun roads of NW Arkansas, about 300 miles.
For the first time ever, I'm glad I had modern electronics and ABS.
I came to a T in the road and was slowing down when the front ABS started doing its thing, and the bars pulled to the right slightly 3 times.
There was fresh tar oil still in the center of the lane. I usually ride on the left or right, but wasn't paying attention to where I was at that moment. Lesson relearned!
ABS save me from going down.
Other than that good ride.
Leaving Springdale this morning on a loop, to Eureka Springs, into MO, KS, OK and back to Ft Smith for the night.

Reactions: HINK

· Super Moderator
2,614 Posts
Sound like a good ride. I rode home through Eureka Spring on the way home to MO.
If you have a chance, ride 90 from OK to wherever in MO, it's a good ride.
Not to mention a ton of other roads.
Wife and I were just discussing this. We both loved 90.
And, a several others.

Baxter Springs, KS
I FINALLY got to ride 66, even if it was short. Joplin to Miami.

8561 - 8580 of 9531 Posts