Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

8081 - 8100 of 8118 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
Yup! And my first BRANDY new scooter was a 1966 Honda,305 DREAM,twin cylinder,[ which made a blistering 23 HP ] white in color,chain drive,and bought brandy new in 1966,and BOY,I thought I really I had something!! lol lol Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
I forgot to mention that the wife also had a motorcycle,a brandy new 1982 Honda Silver Wing Interstate,500CC,water cooled twin which was also shaft drive and it never gave us any problems.

·
Bronze Member
1,592 Posts
These are just a few of the reasons why some dislike shaft drives.
Shaft drive units are heavy. They add roughly an additional 30 - 35 lbs. to the weight of the bike.
Shaft drives are disliked by the motorcycle customizing community because installing wider tires or extending the swingarm is prohibitively expensive.
Shaft drive units are not appealing to the eye.
There is an inherent risk when exceeding the threshold of their designed engine HP and torque specs, then risk damaging and\or destroying the shaft drive components.
Shaft drive motorcycles handle differently than belt or chain driven motorcycles when ridden aggressively due to the physics of the pinion trying to crawl up the ring gear upon acceleration (making the back of the bike stand-up)

I have had a few shaft driven motorcycles and never had an issue. As long as it isn't leaking, check the grease in the shaft drive unit yearly. No chain\belt adjustment or alignment needed. All components are sealed. They are quiet. Dropping or reinstalling the rear wheel is easy.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,502 Posts
I've had all three types of final drive in my 50 plus years of riding. The worst one of the shaft drives for changing the height of the rear (changing the steering geometry as it did so) was a 1996 Honda Shadow ACE 1100. The best was a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim go figure. Most of my bikes were chain drive and as long as the chain was kept clean and lubed there was never an issue. My belt driven bikes have been pretty much flawless and maintenance free. The biggest bike I ever owned was a 2010 Triumph Rocket Three Touring and it was a shaft drive.

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
The guys who like chain drive forgot one negative thing about em.They make a mess all over the wheel and other components in that area cause they need to be lubed,and that lube usually ends up all over everything in that area..And I otta know cause the first few bikes I owned were all chain drive and always made a mess of the rear wheel as well as other components in that general area.

·
Silver member
4,201 Posts
The guys who like chain drive forgot one negative thing about em.They make a mess all over the wheel and other components in that area cause they need to be lubed,and that lube usually ends up all over everything in that area..And I otta know cause the first few bikes I owned were all chain drive and always made a mess of the rear wheel as well as other components in that general area.
Oh. boo hoo... an oily mess ROLMAO :ROFLMAO: ;)
Lube is good, gets thangs into tight places :p

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
Lubrication IS a GOOD thing ,just NOT all over the BACK END OF THE MACHINE,that is,unless you're one of these guys who just doesn't give a s***. And I've known a lot of guys like that.But if ya did,you too would be goin BOO HOO!!!But,obviously,ya don't!! So I wish you luck with your DIRTY scooter!! lol lol But looking on the brighter side,the bike will ALWAYS be WELL OILED!! lol lol lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Speaking of shaft drive - my buddy has a '42 HD XA (the BMW clone developed for the Army).
It took him almost 20 years gathering parts from numerous sources. He finally found the second carburetor at a swap meet for $75. The guy selling didn't know what it was (or could have charged a LOT) more - said his dad had it sitting in the garage window for 40+ years. Many here know that they should be olive drab, outfitted with a rifle scabbard, leather bags, etc. Since this one never had been a complete, pristine example, nobody should hate on him when they see that he "hotrodded" it. Painted black with tasteful amounts of chrome, it's stunning. Still - some purists get really upset and tell him he ruined it. He just laughs and says "build your own - your way!" I was interested in buying it back when the price was 30K, but the last time I asked it was up to 50...:oops:

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts

Very short ride on a nice Sunday.
Was out yesterday, also not very far, Stopped at a ball park to watch games for a while. Got caught up in a drizzle of a rain but I didn’t want to ride without rain gear so I waited it out.

In the news today a motorcycle trike hit the gas meter at a house in Huntsville. So watch out for houses everyone.

Something else I wanted to mention before. When I opened my motorcycle shed door today a baby timber rattler slithered out.
Disappeared into the leaves on the ground nearby otherwise I would’ve had a picture.
I came face-to-face with a fully grown one years ago. Another was crossing the road just before I pulled into my driveway on my Scout at the start of summer last year.
So probably a good time to watch out for snakes as the temperatures get colder.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Took a ride today with my IMRG to the Blackhawk Museum. I had never been there and it was a really cool place.

20201114_152634.jpg
20201114_131939.jpg

The museum had cars, artwork from different countries, wildlife taxidermy and wild west exhibits.

Here's Eleanor from Gone in 60 seconds.
20201114_134617.jpg
20201114_135624.jpg
20201114_135602.jpg
20201114_134625.jpg

Phil

8081 - 8100 of 8118 Posts