Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

8061 - 8080 of 8118 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
Buc-ee’s will be adding a new location over here in north central Alabama along I-65.
And there’s a curiosity about the spot they chose. It’s the site of a EF5 tornado during the “Super outbreak“ April 2011, which by coincidence was the same path of a F5 tornado from another super outbreak in 1974.
There was also a tornado that followed the 2011 one just half hour later.

I was almost there at the same place with the intent of recording a tornado on video camera, thinking it was the best chance of getting that one. Was just going to wait ahead of it at the overpass.

Changed my mind at the last minute and went to the small town of Arab to the east instead. Got there just behind another one. Probably only 5 to 10 minutes afterward. Even though that much time had past, as I turned my car around in the traffic jam that was building up, I saw something that looked like a plywood panel fluttering down out of the sky. Got that on camera.

Of course, it wasn’t until I got home and found out, I would’ve been in the worst possible place had I gone north to the I-65 overpass.
Or best for the video if my life didn’t matter. Also didn’t know how powerful of a tornado it was going to be either. That one left only foundations of houses after it was over.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Chief is down for the winter. It's in its trailer for the winter. I did get out in the Polaris Ranger though. I'm seeing the countryside from county seasonal roads. Those are roads not maintained by the road commission. I had the heat and radio on and broke 35mph once. Life's good in northern Michigan.

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
NO!! Why?? Because it's FRIGIN snowing and there is atleast a couples inches of that white sh** on the ground right now!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Woke up to temps in the high 20's this morning, we might make it into the 60's today...bright and sunny.

OF COURSE I RODE TO WORK!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would have (33 here), but my clutch cable snapped on the way home last night. :mad: (see post in Tech Q&A)

Next week supposed to reach low 60's in Mn - should have the new cable by Sat. or Sun.

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
Riding tomorrow in Florida. Supposed to be 84 degrees and perfectly blue sky
GRRRRRRRRRR!!

84*??? May the blue "bird of paradise" fly over you while you're out enjoying your 84* temps [while the rest of us are feezing our,you know whats off, :giggle: ] and take a dump as he's flying over you!! lol lol

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
Sorry to hear about some of you already staying off the road, although that might’ve been a good thing around here recently.

One reason was a stretch of highway strewn with metal debris that left a hundred or more vehicles stranded with flat tires, another was someone running over an alligator (yep, they are here in areas along Tennessee River).

And the passing of what remained of hurricane Zeta ushered in a cold wind. Well, maybe not bad enough to quit riding. Looks beautiful out today, I just tend to avoid temperatures in the 40s and 50s.
:giggle:
Going riding tomorrow for sure, temps back into the 60s!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Went for a 125 mile ride with a couple friends. Beautiful fall day. I tried out my heated Gerbings gear that haven't had on in probably 15 years. It still works great, didn't really need it today. I just wanted to be sure it still worked if I do need it. I love that gear on those cold starts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,502 Posts
Got up to 52 degrees late this afternoon. I took a short 10 mile ride and filled up the gas tank before returning home. That was my Halloween ride this year.

·
King of the nuts
257 Posts
Took delivery of our newborn last week so now that my wife is no longer pregnant, this is her first time on the dark horse. Took her to her favorite restaurant.

Here’s a pic of my daughter Vivi.

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
my daughter Vivi
Sister of my mother’s mother also named their only child Vivi, or Vivian. Great name.

I went out for a ride to see my dad and what’s known as Vintage Market Days.

Bought this patent print of unnamed motorcycle after a little research that tells me it might be from Indian, around the time they were making motorcycles for the army.
I think it might be a version of the 441 or 841 that never went into production, possibly only test models made circa 1947.
I guess Indian went with transverse V-twins with shaft drive for WWII instead of the in-line four.

Reactions: WarSquirrel

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,502 Posts
Indian and Harley Davidson both had shaft drive bikes purpose built for the Army at that time. They were developed for the war in North Africa. The Harley had a horizontal opposed boxer twin and the Indian had a V-twin across the frame like a Moto Guzzi. Both were dropped after the the Africa war campaign was over with.

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
Harley had a horizontal opposed boxer twin and the Indian had a V-twin across the frame like a Moto Guzzi. Both were dropped after the the Africa war campaign was over with.
Makes me wonder why the shaft drives were discontinued.

Out at the park today I left spacing for another motorcycle or two and to my surprise I had a Chief Vintage park next to me.
They were having a Trump/police appreciation event.

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
I see nothing wrong wirth shaft driven machines.I owned four of em,all bought brandy new: a 1982 Yamaha, Virago 920, Vtwin,a 1983 Yamaha 1200 V4,[standard model] a 1993 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 V4,and a 1999 Yamaha RSV [Royal Star Venture] also a V4 1300,and all four used the shaft drive,and other then lubing the splines in the rear wheel which is supposed to done on every rear tire change,[and no big deal to do] there "were" NO PROBLEMS with the shaft drive,what so ever.And I racked up close to,if not over, three quarters of a million miles with those four machines,alone.But,for what ever reason,the new Ventures with the 1854CC,V twin air cooled motors use a belt drive just like the Indians and HD's do.Why?? I don't know?? But I suspect it's because the belt drive is cheaper to manufacture,but not better.All the Honda Goldwings,and BMW's also use shaft drive and have for years,and I've spoken with many of em and have never heard any complaints about it from their owners!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
I suspect it's because the belt drive is cheaper to manufacture,but not better.All the Honda Goldwings,and BMW's also use shaft drive
Yep, I was thinking that too. I think it’s interesting Yamaha used it. Never thought of them as a high-end motorcycle.

I didn’t realize you had a bunch of Yamaha’s.
I have the last model year (‘97) Virago 750 with shaft drive and that was a secondary reason I chose it. Sure liked the idea of not having to deal with a messy chain anymore.
First reason was because I liked how the engine was part of the frame. Different. Of course like I’ve said before I never knew much about motorcycles, only enough to work on what I had.

8061 - 8080 of 8118 Posts