Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

7981 - 8000 of 8062 Posts

·
Rider
1,040 Posts
So, after photographing rural churches around central Kentucky I decided that the one in Holy Cross was the one for our Christmas card this year. But I needed better angles and light so I played hooky this morning and rode out there. Well, I couldn't believe it, there was a truck and some men working in the cemetery right next to it.

So I rode about 30 minutes to Lebanon to grab lunch and hoped when I got back they'd be done & gone. And they were. Except now, in the middle of nowhere a semi with a flatbed had stopped in the empty lot across the street. As luck would have it I was able to stand on the flatbed and get my pictures.

Holy Cross was the first Catholic church west of the Alleghenies.About 12 miles south of Bardstown (the bourbon capital of Kentucky)

Many people don't realize how heavily Catholic central Kentucky was and is. Bardstown (currently about 13,000 people) was made the Diocese of Bardstown on April 8, 1808. This was the largest diocese ever formed in the United States and comprised an area now covering 10 modern states, including Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Michigan, Indiana and others.
In 1841, the Diocese was transferred from Bardstown to Louisville.

Hope you don't mind the history lesson. The history of Catholicism and bourbon in central Kentucky is fascinating.

holy cross.jpg

holy cross 03.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I was in grad school in Louisville, it appears to me that the system of private Catholic schools seemed to rival the public school system in terms of size.

·
Founding member
916 Posts
Agreed, JAMADOR. Our best riding weather is here for us in the Houston area. I had a nice ride today and am looking forward to many more of the same over the coming months. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ran up to Latrobe, PA (the home of Rolling Rock beer👍) to the Indian dealership. Just cuz it’s there and I didn’t feel like working

Took 119 out of Morgantown and a bunch of back roads that were new to me

Gotta say, some pretty good guys working in there. Hope “yinz” had a great day. Tomorrow... motorcycle safety class. Stay safe out there!

·
Bronze Member
1,581 Posts
My wife had foot surgery 2-1/2 weeks ago, so I've been riding the 90 mi. round trip to work almost every day since then. A cold front is coming through next week and I hope that I can ride to work for a couple of more weeks before it dips down into the 30's. I usually stop riding to work when the thermometer drops below 40°. (it gets a little too cold after 20 -25 miles and I'm too cheap to buy heated gear)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had a great 1965 mile week with a bit of walking for sightseeing. Rode from Boston to DC to meet my brother . From there we hit Harpers Ferry, completed Skyline Drive, Appomattox, Petersburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Colonial Parkway, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Chincoteague Island, Ocean City MD, and Rehoboth DE. Great weather all week.

·
Rider
1,040 Posts
Central Kentucky is having a banner bug season, supposedly due to wetter weather this summer.
When I got home after a 38 mile ride before dinner, this is what I had to clean off. The bike picked up its share also.
Ask me again why I wear a full face helmet.

buggy.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Had a great 1965 mile week with a bit of walking for sightseeing. Rode from Boston to DC to meet my brother . From there we hit Harpers Ferry, completed Skyline Drive, Appomattox, Petersburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Colonial Parkway, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Chincoteague Island, Ocean City MD, and Rehoboth DE. Great weather all week. View attachment 607061 View attachment 607062 View attachment 607063 View attachment 607064 View attachment 607065 View attachment 607066
Looks like a fantastic trip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,372 Posts
Had a great 1965 mile week with a bit of walking for sightseeing. Rode from Boston to DC to meet my brother . From there we hit Harpers Ferry, completed Skyline Drive, Appomattox, Petersburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Colonial Parkway, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Chincoteague Island, Ocean City MD, and Rehoboth DE. Great weather all week. View attachment 607061 View attachment 607062 View attachment 607063 View attachment 607064 View attachment 607065 View attachment 607066
Great shots

·
Registered
85 Posts
Central Kentucky is having a banner bug season, supposedly due to wetter weather this summer.
When I got home after a 38 mile ride before dinner, this is what I had to clean off. The bike picked up its share also.
Ask me again why I wear a full face helmet.
Got lucky 2 weekends ago. Friend of mine got out on Saturday & was pelted with lovebugs.
We went out the next day & nary a one to be found.

With the cool front rolling through Houston this week, hoping to get out for a nice ride this weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rode to the marina for the weekend, didn't ride to work this morning because of storms rolling in... Although now it looks like they'll be here after I get off work.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Just got back from a 600 mile round trip to the Mackinac bridge. Rode across the bridge in a heavy fog, it was beautiful. I love crossing that bridge on a motorcycle.
Grew up in St. Ignace, the town on the north end of the bridge. Great place in the summer and fall, not so much in winter. Great picture and thanks for the memory.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Grew up in St. Ignace, the town on the north end of the bridge. Great place in the summer and fall, not so much in winter. Great picture and thanks for the memory.
We spent the night at the old Normandy motel in St Ignace. It's sure no place for me in the winter!! Great riding up there. The day we crossed the bridge was shrouded in fog, as you could tell and probably have seen many times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7981 - 8000 of 8062 Posts