Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2019 Chieftain Limited (build date = 07/19) has some features the salesman/owners manual missed or did not know about. Here are just a few that I noticed hopefully you can add more to this list or correct me if I made an error.

1. The engine takes six quarts of oil instead of 5.5.
2. At a certain high temperature the rear cylinder shuts off to help with cooling at idle but fires right back up when you take off for a seamless operation. It gives you a little icon (cylinder head with a red "x") on your touch screen to show you when it is activated.
3. You can override the "automatic" shutdown of the electrical system through the touch screen but as soon as you shut the electrical system down it defaults back to the "auto" shutdown and must be reset again. This is helpful when trying to add a new route to your GPS as it will be lost if you don't save it before it automatically powers down.
4. The front headlight is a true LED along with all the turn signals and stop lights.
5. If I activate (Bluetooth) my helmet intercoms you can no longer hear the bike's radio or GPS audio.
6. I am struggling with the Ride Command GPS as it does not like to down load routes without changing them (including "in route") and I think there seems to conflict between the two files. If I select "avoid highways" or "scenic route" it changes the file that is imported into the bike's GPS. (I have yet to have a successful planned route by way points.)
7. If you are "in gear" at idle and put the kickstand down it will kill the engine even with the clutch pulled in.
8. Indian's website does not sell the factory manual (it does for the Scout) but you can get it though a website not associated with Indian for a lot cheaper price but you can tell it was copied from an original manual (counterfeit?).

Tim

Reactions: evallade

·
Registered
51 Posts
Regarding the maps issue: Had the same problem. When I went to Texas from Vegas last July, it really screwed me up. I use “InRoute” as well. When you download it to the bike, don’t make any route selections (“avoid highways etc) and it may be ok. I think the last time I did a big trip, I went through the trouble of recreating the InRoute legs on the Ride Command webpage, sending it to the app, then uploading to the bike. Only did the daily legs, not the whole trip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Regarding the rear cylinder deactivation, that was one of the selling points when the 19 models came out so I assume the salesman figured you already knew it. I also understand you can turn that feature off if you choose to do so. Also, the automatic turn off can be overridden in the 18s as well. Not sure about the 17 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Livrocks! I guess I have not tried to turn the avoid highways and tolls off at the same time.
What should the top choice be?

Tim

F9C3FED3-E4DD-4292-B907-E226638D6DC9.jpeg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Livrocks! I guess I have not tried to turn the avoid highways and tolls off at the same time.
What should the top choice be?

Tim

View attachment 586610
I don't select anything. I leave whatever it defaults too. Once it's loaded I just hit "go". I try to look through the route & make sure it resembles what I originally created.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It treats waypoints as stopping points. When I tell it to pass and save it which route is the latest modified route as it keeps duplicating the same route. Is it the first route or last route?
Tim

BADA5D71-9E9D-4CA9-A91F-FDF8DCF3CB5C.jpeg
36939726-821C-4034-AE1A-96D7C6204643.jpeg
77270985-ABE0-47BE-BD7E-8EB0B2DA3F94.jpeg

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
#5 can be fixed by going to the Bluetooth screen. There are selectible toggles for routing the music and GPS to your helmet or the bike's speakers. Unfortunatly, you cannot choose one or the other: if you route the music to the bike, the GPS also goes to the bike. It would be nice if I could route the music to the bike, and the GPS to my helmet. As it is, I usually just keep the voice off on the GPS.

So far as your route choices: Fastest is going to route you to what the bike thinks is the fastest route to get to your end point. Shortest is similar, but instead of computing by time, it computes by distance. Many times, these two routes will look very similar depending on where you are riding. Scenic tosses the time and distance out the window and takes all back roads to get where you are going.

If you select Avoid Highways and/or Avoid Tolls, it will avoid adding those roads into the calculation when computing the route.

Now, that being said, those 5 selections don't always work together the best, and sometimes the result is less than desirable. For example, I had selected Scenic, and Avoid Highways, to go from Ansbach to Grafenwoher. While it did keep me off of the autobahn, it also routed me through the middle of downtown Nueremberg during rush hour. What I have found is that if I have the time, I will plan my route on the computer and then upload it to the bike through the app on my phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts