Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m fairly certain my 2017 Scout Starter is bad but before my dealer replaces it under my Indian Extended warranty they want me to pay a $125 diagnosis fee? Does that sound right? It seems to me that if the problem is a part that is covered under the warranty then they shouldn’t charge me for the diagnostic. Wouldn’t Polaris cover that? If any of you have experience with this please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
If you are under your extended warranty plan. You should only pay the 50.00 deductible. The dealer should know if your starter is bad without a "diagnostic" test whatever that is.

If the dealer can't tell you if it is the starter, battery, stator, or voltage regulator then you need to find another dealer.

Ridiculous!
Indian needs to clamp down and reel-in on these dealers adding weird costs into simple repairs that any good tech should be able to determine what the problem is within 30 minutes if they want longevity with their customers. And frankly the diagnosis is part of the warranty repair.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Yeah thats what I also believe but 120 as a copay? The feeling here is dealer service is ripping him off. Could be a unscrupulous dealer is charging this fee and the command head dont know anything on that happening which is why my suggestion is another dealer.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Have you ever had the dealer look at the starter before?

I would think that the dealer is covering themselves. Is the $125 their base labor rate? Did they state that that $125 would be returned if the starter motor was indeed bad and was being replaced under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m fairly certain my 2017 Scout Starter is bad but before my dealer replaces it under my Indian Extended warranty they want me to pay a $125 diagnosis fee? Does that sound right? It seems to me that if the problem is a part that is covered under the warranty then they shouldn’t charge me for the diagnostic. Wouldn’t Polaris cover that? If any of you have experience with this please let me know. Thanks.
Here is my assumption on what is going on Mc. The $125 diagnostic fee is for the dealer to ascertain what is actually wrong. Are they actually expecting you to put down $125 to look at it or are you signing for $125 diagnosis if it is ascertained it is not a starter or any other warrantable item? If you put cash down and it is the starter or some warrantable item, they should give you your money back. No different that you taking in your brand new car for diagnosis, you are required to sign for the diag fee, however if it is a warranty claim, you are not charged.

This is something a good service writer would have explained to you. SMH.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, everyone. Emboldened by your advice I searched the internet and found the service notice for the Starter. I’ll post the email I sent to the dealer late yesterday afternoon. An hour later they called me back. They said they had made a mistake about my eligibility and they didn’t realize the notice went back 5 years. Anyway, the starter is replaced, no fee. No copay. It really helps to check in with this group. Thanks to all of you I saved a chunk of change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts