Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Riders,

Rode for almost 6 hours in 97F + on my last leg of the trip I experienced pining under-load so I took my time and keep the bike at low load much as possible to reduce pinging. Is this considered detonation?

Bike specs: Stage 3 with TAB exhaust zombie baffles not dyno mapped due to no maps for the bike as of yet. I have scheduled a dyno but they're backed up for couple weeks.

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Heat or rising intake temperature will make an engine more prone to knock, pinging or detonation which all refer to the same thing. As will a tank of sub-standard octane rated fuel with an octane rating lower than ideal for our 111's. What did you use in your last leg of your trip? Now that you have gone to Stage 3 with much higher compression than the standard 111 your engine will be more prone to knock as higher compression = higher heat. Also an engine is more prone to knock at higher engine loads due to higher heat generation. A well tuned Stage 3 will probably not suffer substantially from knock. We do have a knock sensor in our bikes which will retard timing during those knock events anywhere from -0.75 to -6.75degrees. A richer tune with its inherrent ability to cool the intake charge will lessen the tendency for the engine to knock. As will using a fuel with a much higher octane rating or adding octane addititive to your fuel. Make sure that you have your exhaust flanges tight as this can cause the engine to run lean at WOT causing cylinder engine temperature to rise and thus making engine more prone to knock. Your tuner may need to revise primary ignition table in WOT section to take out timing to reduce prevalence of knock and or adjust fueling in those areas to richen mixture. Hope this helps.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Don't ride too hard and make sure you listen for anything that may not sound correct till you get your Dyno Tune and use the best quality highest rated octane fuel you can till then I take it you have or are getting a PVCX and Dyno Tune?

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
Drop down a gear. Makes all the difference in the world. These bikes can do highway speeds in 5th gear if that's what you are worried about. Or at least mine can. I have to ride in that kind of weather all summer. And I can't get the higher octane it should have. I heard mine ping once when the temps at several bank signs were all saying 105-107. I was going up a slight incline. Dropped a gear and no more ping and I was doing 70mph. I find myself in 5th gear lots of times after I forget to shift back up after going through a town. I suspect a lot of riders stress these engines by being in too high a gear.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,920 Posts
Ok here we go. This will still up some dissenting opinions. If you add a Tier1Tuner to your bike. This can be done even if you have a Power commander or other device already in place. The Tier1Tuner will automatically add more fuel as needed. The will solve this problem and add power. It measures every time the crank goes around and adjust the fuel up or down during acceleration. It does not interfere with the tune, it simply adds more fuel when needed. Many conditions can require more fuel. Most tunes can't make these adjustments. They go by what was set up in the tune and that is it. If you have a PCVX or PCV and want to try adding the Tier1Tuner, I will give you a buy back guarantee. If you don't like what it does, I will refund your money. LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/tier-1-tuner.html This offer applies to anyone as of July 2019 but can be withdrawn at any time in the future. Call if you want more details.
954-247-1450

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't ride too hard and make sure you listen for anything that may not sound correct till you get your Dyno Tune and use the best quality highest rated octane fuel you can till then I take it you have or are getting a PVCX and Dyno Tune?
I have Power Vision 3, the dyno technician said that was fine for his Dyno 250i equipment.

·
Rider
724 Posts
Fellow Riders,

Rode for almost 6 hours in 97F + on my last leg of the trip I experienced pining under-load so I took my time and keep the bike at low load much as possible to reduce pinging. Is this considered detonation?

Bike specs: Stage 3 with TAB exhaust zombie baffles not dyno mapped due to no maps for the bike as of yet. I have scheduled a dyno but they're backed up for couple weeks.

I appreciate any input.
I wonder if you got some ethanol in your gas. I had that happen on a fill up out of town, their pumps weren't posted with Ethanol warnings. Ran that tank low, filled with better gas, and issue went away.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if you got some ethanol in your gas. I had that happen on a fill up out of town, their pumps weren't posted with Ethanol warnings. Ran that tank low, filled with better gas, and issue went away.
That's definitely what I did, pumped from an mom/pop station off the beaten path.

·
Rider
1,242 Posts
Regardless of gas, I'd never recommend someone ride 6 hours without a dyno tune...

Don't put anymore miles on that thing man, you could potentially be scarring up your cylinder walls, or something even worse...

It's like putting heads/cam in a car and not even bothering to tune it...

Sounds painful

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Stock motor same temps 91 octane across Sd and WY, MT no pinging at all loaded down 6th gear at 75mph. But as mentioned if I got down around 2600 rpm on my Harleys in that heat if I didn’t drop 1 they would rattle every time

·
Founding member
2,171 Posts
That's definitely what I did, pumped from an mom/pop station off the beaten path.
Ethanol has a higher octane than pure gas. The engine is designed to be run on E-10 (user's manual states that E-15 is also acceptable!), so if you are using E-10 with a 91 octane rating then fuel is not the problem. Ethanol will slightly reduce fuel mileage, but it won't impact performance (assuming equal octane ratings). IMO here in the Midwest, there is a greater concern that the pure gas you get will be much older (sitting in the station tanks longer) than using ethanol which most people purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts