Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Have you had battery issues with your Challenger already?

• Yes

• No

• Everyone has or will have issues

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indian seriously needs to get this battery draw issue fixed on their bikes. I’ve been riding for over 20 years and have never had to keep a bike on a tender non-stop. Any bike that requires this has a design flaw. What good is having a gas powered vehicle that I have to plug in all the time. If I wanted to do that I would have purchased an electric vehicle.
I love the ride and power of this bike, but you can look for mine being for sale soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't get my battery tender plug to work on my 21 Chally
Customers shouldn’t be having issues like this on new purchases. I wanted to give Indian a chance, but they are letting me down. I’ll probably be back with Harley soon. It didn’t have the great suspension like this bike, but at least it was reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not had my Base Challenger on the trickle charger all summer and sometimes I only ride once a week. It generally kicks right off the first tap of the start switch.
Mine had been the same way. I thought all this battery discussion business must be a few speaking out. But then I didn’t ride mine for two weeks and the temperature dropped. Boom…I’m the newest member of the dead battery club.
What year and model? There was an issue fixed years ago in firmware.
2021 Challenger

·
Bronze member
5,269 Posts
Indian seriously needs to get this battery draw issue fixed on their bikes. I’ve been riding for over 20 years and have never had to keep a bike on a tender non-stop. Any bike that requires this has a design flaw. What good is having a gas powered vehicle that I have to plug in all the time. If I wanted to do that I would have purchased an electric vehicle.
I love the ride and power of this bike, but you can look for mine being for sale soon.

Its not a battery draw problem, it a bad battery from Polaris problem. These batteries have been sitting months to a year and have been damaged due to not being actively charged.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Customers shouldn’t be having issues like this on new purchases. I wanted to give Indian a chance, but they are letting me down. I’ll probably be back with Harley soon. It didn’t have the great suspension like this bike, but at least it was reliable.
Sorry you are having an issue. In all my years riding, I have found that batteries are fickle. With that said, pretty f-ing stupid to say you would give up on the bike and buy a HD that you know is inferior. Spend the $40 and get a battery tender. I plug mine in every time I pull in the garage. They put the tender cord on the bike for a reason.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I cured mine after long rides. Some batteries are fine, some can be brought back to life and others are too far gone. They’re just low grade batteries that have been sitting too long. Mine died after half a day of not riding when I first got it. Now I can leave the country for over a month, come home, and it starts right back up first try. Just the battery. Get a new one if you need to. Doesn’t reflect on the bike at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 20 with that being said I notice that I had issue with trying to crank it up when the weather dropped. Being that the battery is inches from the ground whether dirt or concrete it'll drain the battery. I totally agree it's a design flaw, but I'm surely not going to Harley anything. So I purchased a mat for my motorcycle purchased an aftermarket battery and I have yet to have that same issue. Hoping that either of my solutions corrected the issues but as of now I'm not worried about it not cranking. Plus I throw it on the tender as often as possible.

Also I'm still trying to figure out about the heated grips, do they stay on from the last ride causing the battery to use more volts to turn over. I've had issue with this also.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
If one think HD puts better batteries in their bike then they are mistaken. HD batteries are dead 9 months to a year with you needing to get a new one.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,959 Posts
If one think HD puts better batteries in their bike then they are mistaken. HD batteries are dead 9 months to a year with you needing to get a new one.
I have to disagree with that statement. My batteries in my Harleys have all lasted past 4 years. Little known fact is that Harley batteries are actually made in the USA by a family owned business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,269 Posts
Harley batteries are made by Decka - East Penn and Indians are made by Yuasa. Both great batteries and made in the US.

This is why your Indian battery dies most of the time.

1. The battery has been sitting in your bike at the dealership in a discharged state, this damages the battery, the dealer throws a quick charger to get you out the door but the damage has been done. When you complain, they say oh you need to keep it on a tender, that's BS. If you have to keep a battery on a tender so it will start your bike. THE BATTERY IS DEAD AND BAD!

2. When a battery drops below 12 volts for long periods of time, it becomes damaged (dealerships sitting)

3. The batteries used in these motorcycles are ADVANCED GLASS MATT (AGM).The Walmart or harbor freight "trickle charger" is usually design for standard lead acid batteries and is crap.

4.One thing that kills batteries is charge and discharging.

5. A battery tender is always charging your battery when it falls below a certain voltage threshold, this means you battery discharges, and then charges and so on, this increases cycle time and will damage the battery over time. No its not like the charger is always supplying voltage, but you are basically "cycling" the battery over and over again. What's funny is guys who hardly use tenders aren't bitching about battery issues like guys that are....

6. The best way to take care of the battery, is ride your bike at least once a week. But what about winter? check the battery one a week if the voltage is 12.5 your good, if it falls below that put it on a tender until charged and then remove the tender, again check it in a week. rinse and repeat id necessary.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I have one of the initial 2021 Challengers that I bought in December 2020. If I let the bike sit in the garage for more than 4 days it would be dead the next time I went out to start it. Very frustrating. I put up with that way too long before I bought a new battery. Since having this new battery I've let it sit for 2 weeks at a time a couple times with no issues. Yeah, unfortunate that on a $28,000 bike you need to go out and get your own new battery.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts