Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I didn't think it was going to happen, but unfortunately it did. I got a Stebel air horn, and I thought it was tucked in well enough in the front of the frame near the stock horn location on a 2019 RM and woe is me. Its one of those 2 in 1 kind of units, the pump connects directly to the horn unit so there's not any hose to run to the horn. So I removed the horn and figured I could separate the pump from the horn. I was able to. But in the process of doing so, the portion of the pump that went in to the horn, broke off entirely.

Now I think I can get them mounted separately, but I need a new pump. This little pump puts out some good psi, which I imagine is like 13-15 or something like that (of course the manufacturer doesn't say). I have an old pump that came with my Rivcos I had on my Honda that I left on it, because I thought the Stebel would work on the Indian. It still might. On the left or right side of the frame I can zip tie it or hose clamp the pump to the down tube there out of the way of anything moving. And I think there is still enough room to mount the plastic horn portion back where I had the whole unit to begin with. I'll have to order a new pump, and then some how get it rigged up. I went to get my superglue to try and get something to work as I had a piece of .30-30 brass I cut in half, and stuck the neck in the hole on the horn with some rubber hose over it. Well my unopened tube of superglue, was super dead and hard in the tube. So I couldn't just get something put together for a couple days to at least have a horn to use. I guess I lost the stock horn I can't find it to just throw it on for now.

Or my other option I was looking at was one of the two I used on my Honda before. I parallel relay wired two air horn units on it and let them both go with it when I traded it, one the Rivco and the other an Amazon special that was pretty decent. I was looking at the similar 18 inch trumpet. I was thinking maybe I might be able to run it down the tube on the right side of the frame and point the bell to the ground by the leg fairing. Mount the pump on the other side of the frame and a short hose to the horn. I guess the only way to know is to order it and see. Because I need the pump anyways if the trumpet is too big or whatever. Then I can get some parts to fit in and glue or something in to the horn to get a hose on.

I know there are the Buffalo Brand horns and others that mount on the right side of the stock location of the horn at the motor just below the tank. I don't even know what is over there under that cover on my 2019 RM, as I don't think it's the horn since it was mounted in front. In addition, I'd be interested to hear from those that have used that stock location to mount air horns on older model Indians, if the horn hits the leg at all. Since I'm short, I don't know if I leg would hit it. If you made it this far, thanks! Long winded but trying to weigh as many options or ideas from others' experiences.

Heres a pic of the horn tucked in behind the cooler and motor against the frame near the stock location of the little stock meep meep horn. I don't know if the dent can be seen, I couldn't get a good look at it on my phone cam. Maybe it's just the light reflecting off the fender. But there is a big ole dent in it now. And the other pic of the broken piece on the pump when I separated the plastic from it. The plastic was glued on 3 areas. Both sides of the horn the black plastic wraps around, and then in line with the air output port if anyone else was thinking to try it. Probably better not.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
I just installed the screaming banshee which looks similar for mounting. I thought it was too tight of a fit there, didn't want it pushing on the brake line. So I mounted it to the top mounting bolt of the lower fairing using one of the horn brackets.

Might try that for a little extra room.

Sorry you got a dent in the process!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a pic, and it's also on a RM? Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know if I like the pulse sound, but it sure does sound pretty loud in the videos and stuff I saw on YT from the company. Pretty steep price though too. Used to live not far from Lacey!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have discovered a solution, we will see if I can't get this Stebel to go back together enough to work. I ordered another pump, it will arrive on the 22nd. Going to need to get the relay all hooked up and going too. Got a few days off, hope to get it shored up and operational. But the underside of the frame just in front of the motor, I think would accommodate a single longer trumpet for others that may be looking for a place. The best mock up I could do was with my measuring tape. But it looks doable, and I don't think it would hit anything either. More soon.

·
3,072 Posts
Do you have a pic, and it's also on a RM? Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know if I like the pulse sound, but it sure does sound pretty loud in the videos and stuff I saw on YT from the company. Pretty steep price though too. Used to live not far from Lacey!
Here ya go. 2019 rm. I loosened both bolts on the lowers, and slid the bracket behind the one on the right in the photo. Leaves about 3 inches of room. It's far enough up, I don't think I'll have to worry about dirt getting inside the horn opening.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh great pics, thanks! I'll have to see what I can do when it gets here and get more pics, too. I like the sound of that horn, if it had a solid tone I think I might have considered one. Did you wire yours to your headlight, too?

·
3,072 Posts
UPDATE! DONT MOUNT IT THERE!!!
@Lord Bard Prime
Apparently, there's more wheel and fender travel than I anticipated. Now I have the dent as well, and half the horn is gone.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no :( It's becoming a fender dent thread! But hopefully a warning to others. Maybe that's why these things feel like riding the couch down the highway, with all that suspension movement. Were you able to retain the broken off piece?

·
3,072 Posts
Oh no :( It's becoming a fender dent thread! But hopefully a warning to others. Maybe that's why these things feel like riding the couch down the highway, with all that suspension movement. Were you able to retain the broken off piece?
Nope. Heard a clink when it fell off, thought I ran something over in the road. Didn't notice it gone until 3 hours and 120 miles later...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh damn. Sorry to hear. Is it still salvageable or does it still work at all? Maybe the pump is still good for something.

·
3,072 Posts
Even without the plastic piece, the compressor was still hitting the fender over speed bumps, e.t.c.

Decided to do the screaming banshee mini. Still much louder than the stock horn. Perfect fit. No more dents

At $1000+ painting and installation, I think I'll leave the dent in the fender. Can't really see it unless you're looking for it. I'll consider it a battle scar reminder.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Even without the plastic piece, the compressor was still hitting the fender over speed bumps, e.t.c.

Decided to do the screaming banshee mini. Still much louder than the stock horn. Perfect fit. No more dents

At $1000+ painting and installation, I think I'll leave the dent in the fender. Can't really see it unless you're looking for it. I'll consider it a battle scar reminder.
That dent could be pushed out by a dent less repair guy. Much cheaper. Had it done to a Harley tank for a couple hundred bucks...if your not familiar just google dent less repair..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the update. Was thinking about probably leaving mine there too haha. May look in to dentless repair, but time will tell. For now, I think I got some hooked up and out of the way. No issues yet I can see or hear. The suspension travels below the edge of the fender, and these are a little more tucked in the bells in the front edge of the mount for the highway bars. Good loud sound just a wolo from the auto parts store. I went with plastic so if they hit the fender hopefully they'd just break and not make more dents. Here's a link to a video I did on my RM after the first 1000 miles. Horn test time in the description.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts