Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was extremely impressed with TechRider’s write up “challenger Fog Light Install (Detailed)” and I’m quite sure that this write up will not be anywhere near as informative as that one is, but I’ll try.

I really liked the idea of adding fog lights, but I am not a fan of the Indian pathfinder driving lights. I was looking for a light that would light up as much roadway as possible as well as improve my ability to be seen by other drivers. I found TechRider’s write up and decided I wanted that. He talked about other lights and how his set up could work for most any light. I began looking for other lights to see what was out there. With the sharp edges and angular look of the challenger I liked the square look over the round look and was about to go with a pair of rigid off-road lights. I was familiar with their quality and ability to light up the road the way I wanted. As I continued to search I ran across Denali Lights. Wow they are pricey, but these lights have a high and low beam which they advertise will work with the factory high low beam. How cool would that be if they could work on the Challenger. I contacted Denali lights and was quickly bummed. They told me that the dual light function on their lights would not work due to the unique electrical on the Challenger.

This is where I draw inspiration from TechRider. I have done some electrical work on previous bikes and a fairly extensive electrical project on my Polaris RZR. If TechRider can do some cool stuff I can too. At least that was the plan.

I did not really want to be splicing into the factory wiring harness or using the quick connectors that pierce the wire. I’m always afraid of corrosion or breaking the wire and I’m pretty sure that harness would be very expensive to replace or fix. So, I figured I could make an adaptor to work with the factory head lights and the Denali lights.

My only real problem was that I am not familiar with the Molex connectors. So, I asked the forums if anyone knew which ones Indian used on the headlights and of course, TechRider came to the recuse and provided me with the part numbers. I later realized that the part numbers are marked on the Molex pieces. Once everything arrived I realized this would be way easier that I thought. As much as I like a project I was not bummed by this realization.

Wow These lights are awesome!! I don’t like unboxing reviews as they don’t really tell you much, so I won’t do that, but the quality of these products is top notch. The quality of the lights, wiring, and the connectors they use are awesome.

Here is my parts list:

• Denali S4 2.0 LED Light Kit with DataDim Technology
• Denali Switch Eliminator Plug
• Denali 2.0 DataDim Dual-Intensity Controller
• Denali Auxiliary Light Crash-bar Mounts
• Molex 33471-0306
• Molex 33481-0301
• Yetor one pin water proof connector

I got the Molex connectors on Amazon and they came with the needed pins. These are three pin connectors and here is how Indian has them pinned. Pin 1 = low beam (Green), Pin 2 = Ground (Black), Pin 3 = High Beam (Yellow). I added a trigger wire off of pin 3 on the Molex 33481-0301. This is needed to trigger the Denali 2.0 DataDim Dual-Intensity Controller. The only other non-plug and play was to find a wire connected to the ignition switch. I used the quick connector that Denali supplied in the kit to tap into the headdress light wiring. I was less concerned with this and figured that if this had corrosion or breaking issues it would be cheaper to fix of replace.

From there on I plugged everything in and routed all the wiring to inside the faring. The entire install took maybe 4 hours. 1.5 to 2 hours was dedicated to removing the battery cover that did not want to come off. I wonder if this is a red Loctite issue. The screw would not come out even after removing the plastic around the nut and putting it in a clamp.

Super easy and a fun project. I have not been able to test these lights at night but so far, they work with the headlight switch. The lights are crazy bright in my garage and I’m expecting them to be great on the road. As soon as I have some videos or pics of them on the road I’ll add them to this post.

Here they are in my garage.
Lights off.

lights on low beam:

Lights on high beam:

A few pic close up of lights:

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
102 Posts
Great write up, I'm putting together ideas for a future install of my own. Do you have any pics of the bike in a dark space with the driving lights on/off to see how much they actually aid in seeing down the road? Any help would be great

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I liked about these lights is that the two bottom LEDs have a defused on them and the top are spot. So you get the best of both worlds. There is a total of just over 6000 lumens so I would think these should light up the road pretty well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not to steal the thread but to give another option. Clear Water also makes high quality fog/running lights. I used them on my Scout and they transferred over to my Challenger with a similar hook up. I am very pleased with them. (Called Clear Water to see if they were compatible with the Challenger and they told me exactly how to hook them up.) (Fantastic customer support just like Custom Dynamics.) They have their own small handlebar mounted controller. You can dim them to almost any level, or take them up to half their brightness with the dimmer switch. When you turn on your bright switch they come up to 100%. I did not do a write up on them because they come with full instruction for hooking them up. You don't really have to figure anything out except where to put the switched wire. I ran that wire to the hot side of the head dress light.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Clearwater lights are nice. I was looking at them also. I just liked that the Denali were half the size of most of the other lights out there but still had 6000 lumens. Most other lights with that power were close to twice the size. I liked how I could do a switch delete with the Denali lights. I wanted my set up to look as stock as possible. And this seemed like the best option for me.

I love hearing what people are doing with their bikes and making them their own.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
Great write up! :) Glad I could inspire someone.

Did they give you any guidance on aiming them? I recently properly aimed my Indian driving lights and headlight and that made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great write up! :) Glad I could inspire someone.

Did they give you any guidance on aiming them? I recently properly aimed my Indian driving lights and headlight and that made a HUGE difference.
I really need to pull out the measuring tape and setup my guidelines for aiming my headlight. I've turned those bolts in like 3 times now and my headlight still seems way to low. The edge of light with the low beam is about even with the top of my windscreen, so maybe 30ft in front of the bike?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks TechRider, they provided some instructions on aiming the lights in the box. I have yet to follow the instructions but will do that tomorrow. Fingers crossed!! If I can get them aimed the way I want them then I will get out to a dark road and see how the look. And of course take some pics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That depends on how you mount them. You could mount them in the cut out in the closeouts. Denali makes a bunch of different mounting brackets or you can mount them on pretty much any universal mount.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok finally got some photos of the lights. It’s difficult to see the huge difference in these photos but it’s night and day in person. The wide beam of the Denali s4’s light up the road in a turn just like the adaptive headlights from JWSpeaker I had on a previous bike.

Low Beam Denali lights off.

Low Beam Denali lights on

High Beam Denali lights off

High Beam Denali lights on

·
Registered
80 Posts
I rode home the other night on the freeway with zero lighting. Never realized how crappy the stock headlight is. Any additional lighting would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
I rode home the other night on the freeway with zero lighting. Never realized how crappy the stock headlight is. Any additional lighting would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd make sure your headlight is aimed properly. I put the Indian Adaptive on mine and didn't think it helped much until I adjusted it. We moved it a ton to get it to spec. It was a huge difference.

Reactions: BIGMAC116
1 - 14 of 14 Posts