Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled in to Menneto Powersports / Indian of Albany about 10:30, demo rides started at 9AM and there was already a crowd by time I arrived. Weather was absolutely perfect for upstate NY in September, mid 70s and sunny. Most demo riders seemed to be HD guys wanting to ride a Chief, but the Scouts were getting lots of attention too. They had a red, black and gray Scout and probably 10-12 Chiefs available. I was told that the wait for a Scout would be an hour or so, but luckily 1 rider didn't show for next group leaving so I jumped right on. When we got back from that ride (about 20 mins) I stayed with the bikes and nobody claimed the Scout I had ridden so I went back out for a second ride.

I've been riding a HD Fat Bob (dyna) for 2 seasons, rode a 3rd generation Honda Magna for 3 years before that, and various metric sport bikes for 30 years before that. The Scout reminds me of a more refined Magna in many ways - which is a compliment - very light, smooth, plenty of power available with a wrist twist no matter what gear/RPM you're in, nimble at parking lot speed and handles great in the twisties (for a cruiser). Brakes were excellent, much better than the Fat Bob with dual discs. Seat is even lower to the ground than my Magna, much lower than the Fat Bob. And foot controls aren't very "forward"... not quite mids either, but much closer than my HD. I could probably stand up on the pegs if I really wanted to. I've got a 30" inseam and reach was perfect. Transmission is silky smooth, much better than HD and even Honda. Seat was comfortable for the 40 mins or so I was on it. Suspension never bottomed even though I tried... much better than I expected. Fit and finish are exceptional. Only thing I was disappointed in was the exhaust note... it sounds too much like a stock metric bike to me. My HD had a set of V&H pipes, and I was definitely envious of the growl coming from the Chiefs I rode with. The engine is really smooth up to about 4K RPM, then starts to vibrate some as revs climb... but the vibes are NOTHING compared to the Fat Bob. There's plenty of power available in lower RPMs, but this engine really sings when you get above 4K. I didn't get a chance to really wring it out on the test ride, but it's definitely a FUN bike to ride.

When I ride these days it's for fun, mostly to unwind after a long day/week at work. I always ride solo, prefer feeling the wind instead of hiding behind a windshield/fairing, and prefer quiet country roads to riding in traffic. I buy American whenever possible, but I like riding on my bikes rather than working on them. I like water-cooled vs air-cooled engines. I don't have or want any tattoos, or skulls on my clothing, or feel the need to ride a certain brand to fit in with the crowd. Been there, done that, bought the Tshirts... and got rid of them last month. I'm in my early 50s now, but still like to play a little when I get on a road with curves. For my style of riding, and lifestyle, the Scout is almost the perfect bike. I'm not sure that I'd want to spend much time on an interstate with it, or carry a passenger, but I'd rather have root canal than do either on any bike.

In my opinion, Polaris absolutely nailed the new Indian Scout. It looks in every color, but especially in red. The demo truck's still there until tomorrow evening, and I'm gonna try hard to find an hour to get back there for another ride. Can't wait until MY Scout shows up sometime in December!

·
Registered
558 Posts
CecilP! Woot! Woot! Woot! My kind of biker! Nice, "real world" write up! Thanks for that report! I'm so looking forward to my Indian Red Scout in December!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I managed to sneak back for a couple more rides today... took a Scout on the first ride and our leader set a faster pace than yesterday's so I got to push it a little more - all I can say is wow, that's a fun bike. I tested the lean angle a little more on some curves today, and came out grinning on the exits. The drive-by-wire throttle will take some getting used to, it's pretty sensitive. Clutch pull is easy, brakes are better than I expected (and I tested them hard a couple times). Tranny is awesome. Only changes I expect to make are a better set of pipes and maybe some larger diameter hand grips for my XL mitts.

For the second ride I jumped on a Chief Classic with no windshield and took a leisurely cruise. I still don't feel old enough at 53 for a big cruiser, but what a nice bike. Fit and finish are outstanding, it handles and stops well for it's size, and that Thunder Stroke 111 is a beast. When I finally grow up I'll be looking for a Chief to complement my Scout!

FWIW I chatted with Mike Menetto for a few minutes after the rides, he confirmed that the Scout pre-order target delivery date is still December. I asked how the Scout has been selling and he said very well, and that the First Run is almost sold out. He said he didn't know how many bikes were being sold in the First Run, but that he's been told it will be shut down before the end of September.

I noticed that the demo truck is going to be moving around New England in the next couple weeks... I might need to make a road trip to get a couple last rides before winter!

·
Registered
17 Posts
CecilP, great write up and thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. I did the demo ride they had there back in April and put a desposit on a Chieftain before I left that day. I couldn't be happier with the bike or the dealer. Look forward to any ride time I get and Menneto's has been a great dealership for service and accessories.

Enjoy the Scout!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sept 18 from 2pm-6pm at American Biker Indian of Charleston. Come on by to see the NEW 2015 Indian Scout. Ask for ROB to put down your $500.00 deposit to hold yours they are going fast.

Rob
American Biker
Indian of Charleston
679 TreeLand Drive
Ladson SC 29456
843-641-0258 ASK FOR ROB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts