Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a demo ride on the Scout today at Mancuso in Houston.

My impression from the 25 minute ride is: Damn what a bike.

Im 6-1 270ish, so not a small guy, and I felt really comfortable on the Scout. Power was fantastic. Handling was great. I was initially wondering how the seat would feel under my fat butt, and was really happy with how comfortable it is. The forward control position also felt pretty good. I was thinking about getting the "extended" reach controls and seat, but now I think I may not need them. Of course after I get my bike and put some miles on, that may change.

The only thing I did not like was the handle bar position, way too low for me, but that should be easily adjustable, and the mirrors were worthless for anything except looking at my arms (thou I dont know if I have ever ridden a bike thats stock mirrors were usable for me).

All in all, I CANT WAIT for mine to get here.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

Im 6-1 270ish, so not a small guy, and I felt really comfortable on the Scout. Power was fantastic. Handling was great. I was initially wondering how the seat would feel under my fat butt, and was really happy with how comfortable it is. The forward control position also felt pretty good. I was thinking about getting the "extended" reach controls and seat, but now I think I may not need them. Of course after I get my bike and put some miles on, that may change.

The only thing I did not like was the handle bar position, way too low for me, but that should be easily adjustable, and the mirrors were worthless for anything except looking at my arms (thou I dont know if I have ever ridden a bike thats stock mirrors were usable for me).

Can't wait for spring to demo one. Gonna keep my Chieftain tho

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

Glad you enjoyed the demo ride. My dealer is having an Indian demo day on the 21st, can't wait to try that Scout. :D

Reactions: aln.brown

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Thanks for letting us know that a big guy like you loves the Scout. I don't like to hear folks saying the Scout feels like a mini-bike. My test ride is next week and if it lives up to it's hype I will lay my money down. Did you buy if so what color? Also, what about the warranty, two or five yrs ?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the demo ride. My dealer is having an Indian demo day on the 21st, can't wait to try that Scout. :D
Wish I could be there... :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's a shame, what about Sat? Because the demo is for Fri and Sat
I got to work all weekend. Company is moving to a new office and they won't be happy if their IT guy isn't there to make sure everything comes on-line and ready for work Monday am. Oh well... :(

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I got to work all weekend. Company is moving to a new office and they won't be happy if their IT guy isn't there to make sure everything comes on-line and ready for work Monday am. Oh well... :(
Ah, ok. Well at least now you will have that very first ride on your brand new Scout to look forward to. :D

Reactions: aln.brown

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put down money for a red one back in September, so 5 year warranty.

Another thing i remember. Im used to fat Kury iso grips, so the stock Scout grips felt really skinny, not bad, i just like a thicker grip. Of all the things on the bike, the first two things to change will be the grips, and either new mirrors, or some kind of extensions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a little bit of video from my helmet cam. Does anyone want to see it? nothing special, just 20 minutes riding down the freeway and back.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The video sounds good ioo, something to pass the time while we wait for our Scouts.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I led some of those demo rides in Houston and after the RM the Scout felt like a 250 or 175 Tinker Toy (to me) albeit a fast one. I kept waiting for it to fall apart on me; but no, it was rock solid...

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Think you can make it up to Ocala on Saturday or Sunday they are having Test ride there Nov 15-16 .. I will be going on Sunday the 16th as am committed to a local Toy Run in Lake City the 15th ..

·
Registered
558 Posts
15th is out for me Jay as I have a very good friend of mine coming in to Orlando for a conference and that was the only day he had free. So, maybe Sunday? That is great they are doing demos on Sunday! Do you know if they are requiring reservations?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Think you can make it up to Ocala on Saturday or Sunday they are having Test ride there Nov 15-16 .. I will be going on Sunday the 16th as am committed to a local Toy Run in Lake City the 15th ..
15th is out for me Jay as I have a very good friend of mine coming in to Orlando for a conference and that was the only day he had free. So, maybe Sunday? That is great they are doing demos on Sunday! Do you know if they are requiring reservations?
Looks like they are asking you to on their page which translates "you better or you may not stand a chance of riding one..." I might be able to... If I do, I'll let you know the time and maybe we can catch up... Thanks for the heads up!

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Looks like they are asking you to on their page which translates "you better or you may not stand a chance of riding one..." I might be able to... If I do, I'll let you know the time and maybe we can catch up... Thanks for the heads up!
From what I was told best thing to do is be early .. I am usually up at 5 AM anyway so plan on being there around 9 AM .. Rides Start at 10 AM

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went this past Friday in Concord NC. I really like the bike. First low seater i've been on so compared to my Triumph Bonneville it was quite comfortable from just sitting on it to riding full throttle. I wish i could say i put my $500 down but its unfortunately not in the $$ cards right now since we just bought our 2010 Triumph a few months back. Love the bike and its still my top choice. I don't want a Harley due to the weight and everybody around here has one. I want something on the lighter side that has that "fun" factor and on paper I just havent seen another with the power, design and great look that is even close. I looked at the Victory Gunner while at the Indian dealer and I do like it.....its just at least 100 lbs heavier and costs more than the Scout so why even think on it!

So I shall just continue to dream up schemes to fund it....that's what I get for being a Dave Ramsey instructor! But i'm relatively close if a few things come into place....biggest is the CEO has to not kick my ass for buying one.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I bought a Scout today, couldn't help myself. I don't care what anyone says from now on. I made the right choice, it's my ticket to personal freedom. Not much of that around, get it while you can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts