Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

Although I am new to the forum I praised my dealer in Melbourne for how great they handled me and my purchase of my new Roadmaster on this site a few days ago. I still really like the owner and the team at the dealership! Here is my issue....

I ordered my bike and was told it might come in early. I dropped in to spend more money on apparel....(wow...well over 1k so far) and was told my bike had been shipped a week early!!! Yes!, 5-7 days for delivery!! As the week wore on we kept checking in and due to a big weekend we had planned was told our bike would be in prior to this weekend..."Plan your Trip"

Ok....Thursday..no bike,,,,Friday (it will be in) no bike....Saturday (it will be in first thing in the morning.....) NO bike...Now we can't even find the bike or the truck...NO where to be found and no one can get in touch with the trucking firm. No one from Polaris to talk to about the delivery...Regional Sales Rep...not available on Saturday....."This is completely out of our control,,"

Ok, I love the bike and I am willing to TRY to hold my month...however, I am quite sure that in 2014 the trucking firm they use has GPS on the truck. If I was not told on three different days that the bike was going to be in it would not be a big deal. Why would this communication be so poor.

I have been in retail for over 30 years and understand the supply chain process and if I did not want the Indian bike I would have asked for my money back...and yes, I have paid in full for the bike plus the 1k+ in apparel. I love this bike.......I really like my dealership...I know it does not sound like it but I really do like these folks..Here is my concern.....I hope that this is not the start of a very disappointing relationship with Indian. I have 10 friends lined up that want to ride the bike when I get it. I have never seen so many people interested in a bike purchase!

Indian could go the extra mile for those of us who are jumping in with both feet and choosing to buy Indian over Harley. Here are a couple of ideas that would make me and maybe some of you feel a little more warm and fuzzy for ordering and waiting:

1. How about an email thanking you for ordering and waiting from Polaris and Indian....No cost to do this email.
2. Have a tracker updated daily on where your order is in the process --- simple daily update....you could do it like a pizza tracker and tell us where the bike is in the process and who is working and testing the bike. I would really add value to the experience.
3. When shipped send us and email when it leaves the factory and daily updates on where the bike is like Fedex and UPS gives you on their site.....This might not be as detailed but would really win us over.

Finally, bikes are a real special purchase for most of us. Indian can become a real special motorcycle with Polaris behind the brand. But, we need to also feel "special" as some of the early adaptors. We will be the best Demo people out on the roads. Harley is a club and you pay for that...I am really ok with that part of it. I think Indian can have the same "Special" feel for those of us who ride an Indian. It is the small little things that will be the difference in us loving the purchase, the bike, the brand and the entire experience.

I hope people buy from Melbourne, Fl they have been wonderful and I want them to do well and I hope Indian (Polaris) can take a couple small things away from my experience to make someone else's better.

Thanks!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
So,

Although I am new to the forum I praised my dealer in Melbourne for how great they handled me and my purchase of my new Roadmaster on this site a few days ago. I still really like the owner and the team at the dealership! Here is my issue....

I ordered my bike and was told it might come in early. I dropped in to spend more money on apparel....(wow...well over 1k so far) and was told my bike had been shipped a week early!!! Yes!, 5-7 days for delivery!! As the week wore on we kept checking in and due to a big weekend we had planned was told our bike would be in prior to this weekend..."Plan your Trip"

Ok....Thursday..no bike,,,,Friday (it will be in) no bike....Saturday (it will be in first thing in the morning.....) NO bike...Now we can't even find the bike or the truck...NO where to be found and no one can get in touch with the trucking firm. No one from Polaris to talk to about the delivery...Regional Sales Rep...not available on Saturday....."This is completely out of our control,,"

Ok, I love the bike and I am willing to TRY to hold my month...however, I am quite sure that in 2014 the trucking firm they use has GPS on the truck. If I was not told on three different days that the bike was going to be in it would not be a big deal. Why would this communication be so poor.

I have been in retail for over 30 years and understand the supply chain process and if I did not want the Indian bike I would have asked for my money back...and yes, I have paid in full for the bike plus the 1k+ in apparel. I love this bike.......I really like my dealership...I know it does not sound like it but I really do like these folks..Here is my concern.....I hope that this is not the start of a very disappointing relationship with Indian. I have 10 friends lined up that want to ride the bike when I get it. I have never seen so many people interested in a bike purchase!

Indian could go the extra mile for those of us who are jumping in with both feet and choosing to buy Indian over Harley. Here are a couple of ideas that would make me and maybe some of you feel a little more warm and fuzzy for ordering and waiting:

1. How about an email thanking you for ordering and waiting from Polaris and Indian....No cost to do this email.
2. Have a tracker updated daily on where your order is in the process --- simple daily update....you could do it like a pizza tracker and tell us where the bike is in the process and who is working and testing the bike. I would really add value to the experience.
3. When shipped send us and email when it leaves the factory and daily updates on where the bike is like Fedex and UPS gives you on their site.....This might not be as detailed but would really win us over.

Finally, bikes are a real special purchase for most of us. Indian can become a real special motorcycle with Polaris behind the brand. But, we need to also feel "special" as some of the early adaptors. We will be the best Demo people out on the roads. Harley is a club and you pay for that...I am really ok with that part of it. I think Indian can have the same "Special" feel for those of us who ride an Indian. It is the small little things that will be the difference in us loving the purchase, the bike, the brand and the entire experience.

I hope people buy from Melbourne, Fl they have been wonderful and I want them to do well and I hope Indian (Polaris) can take a couple small things away from my experience to make someone else's better.

Thanks!
Steve, dude, take a breath.

You know what I do for a living?
I manage a company that delivers new cars to the dealerships.
On any given day I can have hundreds of brand new cars in my inventory to ship and every single car has a story and I have heard them all.
Not only do I have customers calling to micro manage the delivery of their new car, I have salesmen calling me who get paid their sales commission when the car is delivered to the customer.

Things beyond the control of your dealer happen. Delivery trucks break down and drivers hours of service are regulated by the DOT. The drivers are required to take rest breaks and generally these breaks normally occur on the week end.

You are about to embark on a relationship with Indian Motorcycle like I have never seen before. You talk about responsive? I have gotten more phone calls, e-mails, discounts, and just outright free stuff from the purchase of one bike than a lifetime of Harley ownership. I can't speak for your dealership but Indian won't let you down. Sometimes they don't move as fast as you think they should but they do respond and it is generally in a way to provide customer satisfaction.

Trust me, you'll see.
Sorry you missed your trip.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So,

Thanks!
I think Steve has a point. I mean, I ordered a new set of nerf bars for my pickup a few weeks ago from some company in the upper Midwest. Somehow they managed to keep me posted almost to the hour on the location of my rather small order. That was for a first time customer on what I would cal a rather insignifIcant order. Indian, on the other hand, is selling me a multi-thousand dollar single item and has the opportunity to create a rabid lifetime customer, with a fair bit of disposable income, who would likely be inclined to spend it on their products given just a little encouragement. Want to create the customer base that will keep you in business when times get lean or you have a model rollout that doesn't quite go the way you envisioned? The opportunity is there, if only you are willing to recognize it and act accordingly. There are lots of companies out there that treat the customer as if they have no other option (I'm looking at you, Time Warner cable). What I want is a company that recognizes that I share the same love of classic machinery as Mike Wolfe, and treats me as a valued partner in this process of writing,the next chapter of Indian history. Is that too much to ask?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gotta go with Steve on this one. If I was in his shoes and prepaid for a Bike, I think an exact delivery date should be part of the equation. Shouldn't be hard in this day and age.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry Big Daddy, your on your own on this one !
Have to agree with the others that it should be possible to provide tracking for such a large purchase. I know trucks can break down and other shit happens but you gotta let your customers know if you slip on the agreed delivery dates.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am a Truck Driver my company knows where I am at all times. Every Item on my truck has a tracking number. I am very surprised they do not have Tracking system in place for the customers. I do agree with Big Daddy about the support. They went the extra mile for me several times. Steve hang in there I know its not easy, but I am sure Indian will give you a Gift certificate for your troubles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,

Here is my update. It's Monday and they have found the truck. It's in Ft Myers Florida. This is about four hours away. That was at 9:30am this morning. The dealership has called me twice this mornings to update me. Let's cross our fingers that I will get it today. The way it's going I doubt it.

To address some of the comments - I understand DOT rules however so do the truck lines. Four days late is not a DOT rule problem.
If you read the first post I am not MAD I am more concerned about the process.

Next - I have not received any "free" stuff??
I will be happy to have some!

Guys, my issue is this should not happen if we want the brand to compete with Harley. My guess is the majority of us on this site don't "run" with the crowd. We are the early adapters and jump on things prior to them being popular. We don't have to be in the "club" or we would have purchased a Harley.

I just want the experience for others to be better so we can grow the Indian brand.

I want the bike however, I can't ride it till this weekend much anyway. However, if Indian can read these post...maybe just maybe they will change this process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.... I arrived late this afternoon...... Only got 25 miles on it.... Spent another 1k on apparel and a back rest. Bike rides great! Still stand by my comments earlier...this should be a better experience. Once again the dealer was great! Go see the Melbourne team if your close...however they need a few days to stock up on apparel... My wife enjoyed the shopping experience!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Anyone know what the average miles on a new factory bike is?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine had 2 miles on it and those two I watched the guy test it and come back. I had some fun watching it being detailed when it came in today.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
So,

Thanks!
Steve,
Slow your roll. Please don't let this ruin this purchase for you and your relationship with your dealer. A good thing is worth waiting for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steve the wife and I rode to Melbourne on Saturday nice looking dealership, people were friendly, but it was very apparent that something was. amiss as I overheard a number of times management looking for a truck. Glad you finally got it, love mine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that's funny! They were scrambling to find the truck. I might have seen you if you were riding a red and cream Roadmaster. Let's just say Saturday was a long day!

See is in the garage and do fine tonight!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep that was us, was on Red & Cream, (woo) son, wife and sons service dog were all there checking out the store. Glad it turned out well I am sure we will cross paths in the future. Just checked on mine in the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts