Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tire has raised areas and what look like irregularities in sections along the running surface of the tire. Do I have a defective tire or something to be concerned about? Follow the red arrow. It’s an Avon Cobra with about 4K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,026 Posts
My tire has raised areas and what look like irregularities in sections along the running surface of the tire. Do I have a defective tire or something to be concerned about? Follow the red arrow. It’s an Avon Cobra with about 4K miles.

That is just normal cupping of the tire. It will happen as the tire wears. Minimize it by making sure the tire is at the proper pressure when the tire is cold. Dean

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If the pattern of cupping runs consistently all the way around the tire, then what you have there looks to me like the result of running it under inflated (air pressure too low) for an extended period. On the other hand, if the cupping is only part way around the tire, or is much worse in one spot, then you may have a damaged tire. This can happen just from hitting a pot hole or road debris. On the trucks I work on we regularly see damaged tires causing driveability issues.

I don't agree with using the word "defective" since that implies that something was wrong with the tire when installed. In most cases tires that look like this are the result of physical damage that happens on the road, not factory defects. Factory defects do happen, but those issues usually show up as vibrations or wobble almost immediately after installation. The real world is a very harsh environment for tires.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
typical cupping . rented a Uhaul truck once once got over 35mph it was bouncing the front end of truck. ended up stopping at a truck stop said it was out of round an defective.

·
Bronze member
1,956 Posts

My MII front tire is wearing similar to that but on left side and I mostly ride toward right side of lane. I feel it could be crown in the lane which is usually higher. But I have around 13k on mine---IMO

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Once you replace the tyre keep an eye on your tyre pressures and just check the tyres before you ride every time. the cupping your seeing on your tyres is not the tyre fault it is pressure as mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Ugh.. that is a bad case of cupping from running at the wrong pressure AND I feel a poor rubber composition of the tire. Over my years of ridin I have noticed some tires are more prone to cupping than others. I bet it is noisy as hell going down the road! I would try to go back to he Dunlop’s as I have had better luck with them over the years (your mileage may vary). Mark

·
Bronze member
2,267 Posts
Motorcycle tires will cup eventually, even with correct air pressure. It's the nature of physics and how a motorcycle tire works, how it's used to corner, etc.

·
3,026 Posts
Motorcycle tires will cup eventually, even with correct air pressure. It's the nature of physics and how a motorcycle tire works, how it's used to corner, etc.
I agree for the most part. That is why I am not a fan of radial tires on a big cruiser bike. With a radial there is some deflection where the tire meets the road. The profile of the round tire means that the biggest diameter of the tire is the center. As you go out from that center the tire has less diameter and travels less distance than the center of the tire. This is where your cupping comes from. A radial puts a bit more contact patch on the ground and gives you a smoother ride but that contact patch (especially loaded up to max weight or a bit under inflated) just puts more of that contact patch on the ground and further out from the center line of the tire. This also gets aggravated by soft compound tires like you get from the Avons. My E3 rear tire on my RM cupped horribly but I am a big boy and do a lot of traveling with my wife riding two up. Even riding with 42 to 43 psi out back when cold. With my Commander 2s there is much less cupping but it still happens. The tire lets me know when it starts to happen when I go into the turns and hear that back tire howl at me. Dean

·
Rider
826 Posts
Heard good things about the Michelin Commander 2, Dean.

Probably going to be the next set....soon as the stock tires wear out

OP, the tire in your photo looks dangerous, I would replace it right away.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
3,026 Posts
Heard good things about the Michelin Commander 2, Dean.

Probably going to be the next set....soon as the stock tires wear out

OP, the tire in your photo looks dangerous, I would replace it right away.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
Oh I did. I had another Michelin mounted up on my spare rim ready to go once I got back from my trip. I was just really surprised how fast the tire wore out. I was getting thin but did not think I would have any issues getting another 1k out of it. Going thru the twisties down in AR on some recently chip and sealed backtop proved me wrong. When I loaded the bike back into the trailer the night before leaving my buddy said he could see the air in that tire! Dean

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh.. that is a bad case of cupping from running at the wrong pressure AND I feel a poor rubber composition of the tire. Over my years of ridin I have noticed some tires are more prone to cupping than others. I bet it is noisy as hell going down the road! I would try to go back to he Dunlop’s as I have had better luck with them over the years (your mileage may vary). Mark
Yes, very noisy especially when I lean. Appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My MII front tire is wearing similar to that but on left side and I mostly ride toward right side of lane. I feel it could be crown in the lane which is usually higher. But I have around 13k on mine---IMO
That is my front. I installed a fat tire. 180-55-18. I had manufacturer's recommend pressure, 36, but may increase to 40 on my next tire. My original tire E3 is cupping but that has 13k miles and recently had to plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts