Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your RM surge when you are slowing down and let the engine speed get a bit low? Mine does and it is a bit more than distracting. In the beginning it was annoying but now I pay attention to it and it is manageable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I get that. It can be disconcerting on a steep switch back, but like you said, we just deal with it.

·
Silver member
4,815 Posts
PV3 with tune from Fuel Moto stopped the low RPM surge of my '15 Vintage.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
AH, the Indian Surge or aka the decel lunge. From what I read all the TS111 do it, has something to do with the ECM programming to keep the engine from stalling.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does this happen in all riding modes on your RM?
My RM has only one mode that I know of. It does happen at all speeds. If you let the speed get down too low, the engine will lurch. I think it's a computer thing where the engine thinks it's about to stall so it gives a kick to get back up to speed.

·
Bronze member
3,938 Posts
This is normal and present on all the bikes. Its called fuel cut. The EPA requires when the throttle is let off or idle at speed (bike is moving), the fuel injectors are shut off, and are switched back on again around 1200 RPM, this causes the surge if the clutch isn't pulled because basically the engine starts back up. Guys with the PV3/PVCX can set that valve when the injectors come back on to around 800 RPM which works well as most people have the clutch pulled by then.

If you don't have or want a tuner, simply pull the clutch before the RPM drops to 1200 rpm.

·
Rider
1,205 Posts
Man! I, myself and my service manager went back and forth so many times with a particular customer that had issues with this. He was very upset about the surge and said in all his 40 years riding. Never experienced this. We did our best to explain to him that he needs to pull in the clutch when coming to a stop. when rpm's come down. He refused and kept fighting us. Was wanting us to take the bike back. Claimed it was gonna get him killed one day. Ultimately my manager got a bike as well and rode around with him, to watch his riding habits. They even switched bikes. Finally the customer conceded and learned to pull the clutch in. No more issues.

That's always been the way I was taught to ride and drive my manual transmission vehicles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man! I, myself and my service manager went back and forth so many times with a particular customer that had issues with this. He was very upset about the surge and said in all his 40 years riding. Never experienced this. We did our best to explain to him that he needs to pull in the clutch when coming to a stop. when rpm's come down. He refused and kept fighting us. Was wanting us to take the bike back. Claimed it was gonna get him killed one day. Ultimately my manager got a bike as well and rode around with him, to watch his riding habits. They even switched bikes. Finally the customer conceded and learned to pull the clutch in. No more issues.

That's always been the way I was taught to ride and drive my manual transmission vehicles.
Yes, of course you have to pull the clutch. But with the Indian, if you don't do it soon enough, you get this kick in the pants. With my Vulcan, the engine would just start to groan and shudder until it stalled. I think the Indian situation is dangerous until you realize that you have to pull the clutch a lot earlier than usual.

Reactions: MRGUB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts