Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the any of the decat link-pipes that have come out recently.

I'm thinking about getting the decat link-pipe when I order the PV3 tune. Mainly for looks, weight, performance and heat reasons. Will this make the bike insanely loud? By insanely loud, I mean noticeably louder than it currently is, and offensive to most (normal ;)) people...

I've currently got the FTR 1200 S/RR with Factory Akrapovics w/ baffIes removed. Really like how it sounds right now...

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the any of the decat link-pipes that have come out recently.

I'm thinking about getting the decat link-pipe when I order the PV3 tune. Mainly for looks, weight, performance and heat reasons. Will this make the bike insanely loud? By insanely loud, I mean noticeably louder than it currently is, and offensive to most (normal ;)) people...

I've currently got the FTR 1200 S/RR with Factory Akrapovics w/ baffIes removed. Really like how it sounds right now...
I venture to say it will be significantly louder..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Decat link plus OEM muffler (not Akro).

My uncalibrated ear says slightly louder/deeper at idle, on gentle throttle and steady cruise. Most noticeable increase in dbs is between 3-4K under throttle. There it's noticeably louder. Also on decel there's some snap/crackle/pop going on which according to FM is the absence of the cat.

Really didn't notice a heat reduction. The rear cylinder, right side especially still BBQs your inner thigh and private area.

Slight seat of the pants increase in performance.

Absolute best part is the aesthetic improvement. Bike without has a slender waist and that oven really is fugly.

I went back to stock as I prefer the stealth.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Love the sound with the link pipe and the high mount Akro system. Sounds a lot like a Duc now. Nice rumble. Not too loud. Just right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds kinda lawnmower-ish when watching on my phone. Do you like it in person?
Removing the cat amplified the stock sound. I can really hear how the baffles kill the boom. It's louder than stock and a little deeper.
Edit:
Since the time of original reply I have flashed using Dynojet FM link pipe + S&S slip on tune and lawn mower has been eliminated. Two guys at the dealership I frequent bought FTRs, one has FM link on his RR and the other has FM link with S&S slip on his Smodel . After the tune I went and compared mine to both and the S&S with the baffle doesn't sound as good as stock can with baffle. The guy with the RR took the baffles out of the Akros and it has nice deep throaty bark, definitely twice as loud as stock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I agree as I like to hear the sounds of nature around me without the exhaust still ringing in my ears.
Also to be able to hear those idiot cage drivers coming up on you from behind.
Let's be serious; if you are moving above 50 mph, the wind noise and/or ear plugs means you're not hearing any sounds of nature anyway, and certainly not hearing a car.

Also, if cage drivers are catching you from behind unawares, you need to monitor your mirrors more frequently. Or ride the FTR like it was meant to be ridden.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Let's be serious; if you are moving above 50 mph, the wind noise and/or ear plugs means you're not hearing any sounds of nature anyway, and certainly not hearing a car.
He's since fitted a Bassani, he ain't hearing shit![facepalm]

·
Registered
261 Posts
I live in Virginia which requires an annual inspection of motor vehicles. According to their law a decat would likely fail the inspection?

19VAC30-70-390. Motorcycle muffler and exhaust system.

Inspect for and reject if:

1. Vehicle has no exhaust line or tailpipe if the system is designed for same.

2. A muffler has been repaired with a jacket, a patch or in any other manner.

3. Vehicle has installed a muffler cutout or bypass.

4. Any components of the exhaust system are not properly secured.

5. Leakage of gases is noted at manifold gaskets, muffler and muffler connections, or at any point in the exhaust line.

6. Tailpipe opening is pinched or mashed.

NOTE: If a vehicle is inspected that does not have a muffler, the inspector should explain to the customer that although the vehicle will pass inspection without a muffler, it is a violation of state law for the vehicle to be operated on the highway without it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's a short video of a base model with the link pipe and S&S slip-on. I'll agree with the wind noise being the overwhelming sound at 50 mph plus; even with an exhaust that's this loud, it's not significant at speed. Bystanders may have a different opinion though.:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
I live in Virginia which requires an annual inspection of motor vehicles. According to their law a decat would likely fail the inspection?

19VAC30-70-390. Motorcycle muffler and exhaust system.

Inspect for and reject if:

1. Vehicle has no exhaust line or tailpipe if the system is designed for same.

2. A muffler has been repaired with a jacket, a patch or in any other manner.

3. Vehicle has installed a muffler cutout or bypass.

4. Any components of the exhaust system are not properly secured.

5. Leakage of gases is noted at manifold gaskets, muffler and muffler connections, or at any point in the exhaust line.

6. Tailpipe opening is pinched or mashed.

NOTE: If a vehicle is inspected that does not have a muffler, the inspector should explain to the customer that although the vehicle will pass inspection without a muffler, it is a violation of state law for the vehicle to be operated on the highway without it.
Blah - I'd move to a free state that doesn't do visual inspections or smog checks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts