Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I wonder about that front wheel misalignment? Highest dyno specs I've seen...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Don't know about California h.p. but a friend of mine bought a Kawasaki 900 when they first came out and it had such a major high speed wobble he sold it within a month. That was his first and last motorcycle, but in the short time he had it I rode it once and that thing was a like a rocket in a straight line , but handled like a semi.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That bit about the front wheel misalignment is what concerns me the most. Instability at freeway speeds? That's not particularly promising. Comments from already owners?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Can anyone confirm this on there new scout ? 85mph/4600 rpm
I had mine up to 90 and to be honest I don't remember any vibration, but no wobble or anything. I do remember a big GRIN though LOL :D

Reactions: qbrees and redscout

·
Registered
738 Posts
Mark, good informative article. Thanks. I learned lots I hadn't known before - I found it fascinating that the oil cooler behind the radiator is also liquid cooled. Also neat to see how relatively close in some performance areas it was to the V-Rod.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gordon. The bike is definitely a technological superior design then any in its class but retains a nostalgic yet sporty/cruise look. Think we need a new category .

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Motorcycle consumer news does not advertise for manufactories. They are supposed to be non-bias in their opinions.
You can only subscribe directly. Their mags are not in stores.
I subscribed for years and its a good second set of eyes compared to the other reviews.
Of course the writer has his own opinions and views.
And I'm preaching to the choir here..but

The only opinion that really matters is yours,:D

And their copy of the bike may be different then yours. Just because of variation in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Misalignment doesn't cause wobble, AFAIK. It does make steering pull to one side or the other. BMW R12C cruisers are notorious for having a pull to the right. But no one complains of wobble. It doesn't affect all of the, and it affects some more than others. There's a shim between the rear wheel and drive. Some are able to cure pull to the right by removing this shim or getting a thinner shim. I chucked my shim and lessened my PTTR; but did not entirely eliminate it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for posting this article. I did have mine at eighty five and did't notice anything - perhaps i was focused on the wind bast. I was pretty shocked at how smooth the bike was with only a few miles on it.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
H-D softail models have an offset front wheel. I don't consider ofsets to be alarming.....unless there is not supposed to be one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice to see performance data on the Scout. I don't think I've seen any other 1/4 mile tests. Has anyone else seen any?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Can anyone confirm this on there new scout ? 85mph/4600 rpm
I should not admit this but I had the beat upon demo bikes up well past 100 mph and doing better than 85 in a couple of sweepers and I noticed nothing but a smooth tracking motorcycle. One of the reasons I bought it. Who knows who set that bike up for the journalist.

·
Founding member
1,070 Posts
I've been in the 80s and beyond. Did not have any vibration issues. But maybe my smile counteracts the vibrations. I'll have to try without one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Vibration is all point of reference. Compared to a modern high performance in-line 4, the Scout is probably harsh. Compared to a 100" stroked Panhead, I bet the Scout is a dream!

Great article, thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts