Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just heard on the radio that the U.S. total for annual traffic deaths from people running red lights has reached a ten-year high -- right around 900, I think it said.

Ride safely, folks, and don't be bolting out into the intersection when the light turns green.

EDIT: Whoops -- this story has already been posted here by SSHardball. No need to duplicate threads!

·
Rider
396 Posts
I always try to pause because you never know. I also wait for the car with their turn signal on to commit to the turn before I pull out. I sometimes get honked at for pausing 3 - 4 seconds after the light turns green. It's like they are waiting with their hand on the horn so as soon as the light changes they lay on it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I always try to pause because you never know. I also wait for the car with their turn signal on to commit to the turn before I pull out. I sometimes get honked at for pausing 3 - 4 seconds after the light turns green. It's like they are waiting with their hand on the horn so as soon as the light changes they lay on it. :rolleyes:
Lol, I wouldn't honk but I'd be yelling at my windshield inside my car if the person in front of me waited 4 seconds to go after it turned green. Patience isn't my strong point:D

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,336 Posts
If definitely worth a careful look before just assuming traffic is stopped when the light turned green .. Lost a High School mate than had done two tours in Nam just to come home and be killed on his Bike from a Redlight Runner and this was back in 1972, so sure isn't anything new ..

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Just heard on the radio that the U.S. total for annual traffic deaths from people running red lights has reached a ten-year high -- right around 900, I think it said.

Ride safely, folks, and don't be bolting out into the intersection when the light turns green.

EDIT: Whoops -- this story has already been posted here by SSHardball. No need to duplicate threads!
Replied there about the crazy 4 way stop on 4 lane intersection next to Southcenter Mall in Tukwila (seeing your located Seattle area). That was mid-1970's. Now it's got lights with left turn lane.

I want traffic moving on green lights, not stopped for the other red light. And as much as I keep watch on cross traffic, I avoid making moves based on their light signals.

Another thing I said in other message thread, I almost turned left one night on cross traffic green. Paying too much attention to the wrong light.
I usually don't get confused by lights facing me for other lanes next to me, but that's a common mistake too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had someone run the light into me earlier this month, thankfully I was in my car, which was totaled. Otherwise I wouldn't be here. And there were 4 cars in front of me that turned right, so she was flying when she hit me.

·
Bronze member
2,820 Posts
Sounds like they are pushing for roundabouts,no real maintenance,cheaper to deal with in the long run.hope not ,these things have taken a Couple of friends ,as thier are no lights on them out in the middle of no where.just a big bolder at the top.and why is that?why would you put something at the top to make sure you dont make it?.i would be fine with posting the many skid marks on the first round about in this town.

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Sounds like they are pushing for roundabouts,no real maintenance,cheaper to deal with in the long run.hope not ,these things have taken a Couple of friends ,as thier are no lights on them out in the middle of no where.just a big bolder at the top.and why is that?why would you put something at the top to make sure you dont make it?.i would be fine with posting the many skid marks on the first round about in this town.
There's several here, new thing. I'm okay with them when there's very little traffic but when there's a line of vehicles on one or more of the incoming roads they don't yield to anyone except whoever is already into the circle. With traffic approaching there I'm always afraid someone won't yield, sure is not like a stop sign/light anyway. More like something for professional drivers only.
Think maybe red light runners came up with the idea to make it legal to not stop. ;)

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Had someone run the light into me earlier this month, thankfully I was in my car, which was totaled. Otherwise I wouldn't be here. And there were 4 cars in front of me that turned right, so she was flying when she hit me.
Good news from bad, glad you're alright.
I consider myself lucky at intersections. My (few) accidents happened from people pulling out from side roads/parking lots... 2 were hit and run.
And then there was the one where I pulled out of a parking lot after a long wait for traffic to ease up and make a right turn, an 18 year old driving a pickup truck changed from left inside lane to right outside lane, clipping my driver side headlight.
Funny thing about that one. Soon after that was fixed, taking 3 weeks to repair, a town mayor's wife crunched that same headlight while backing up in a field where an event was taking place. He was also the owner of a car dealership and had the repair done there. Another 3 weeks. I was glad to get rid of that car, kept waiting for the third time to happen.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
run abouts. had one big one back home in cape cod. nobody adhere's to the rules of the road.
down here in fla they starting to put them in. still same issue nobody adhere's to the rules of the road.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts

Yesterday, sitting at the light I saw two cars speeding to beat the light. I waited for them, and even timed them. The light was red for 3 seconds before they enter the intersection. As soon I took off, there was a third car that (they were stopping so i thought it's ok) decided they can run the light too but wasn't even speeding of course, the light was five seconds for them.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
people always in a hurry. that 5 seconds they get there earlier. just have to wait for what i don't know i'm 5 seconds behind them lol. down here in florida ya see the seniors speeding. my buddy always says what the hell they speeding for death coming soon enough.

·
Rider
396 Posts
Yesterday, sitting at the light I saw two cars speeding to beat the light. I waited for them, and even timed them. The light was red for 3 seconds before they enter the intersection. As soon I took off, there was a third car that (they were stopping so i thought it's ok) decided they can run the light too but wasn't even speeding of course, the light was five seconds for them.
See, this is exactly what I was talking about. 3 -4 secs to make sure everyone is stopped. I'll also try to use other cars as a shield.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts