Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation. Coming from a guy that's purchased at least 20-25 bikes over the last 30 years, I noticed this formula start to develop as the internet starting playing a big part of the consumer research leading up to a purchase.

I have dealt directly with 3 dealers since I jumped into the Indian world in 2017. The distance they are from met are 55, 122,160. I have purchased 1-2 bikes from each one over 4 years. When I'm in the market for a bike I will typically contact all 3 and get a quote. If I have time I will also get a few extra quotes from other dealers that are a little further out.

This last time I started getting quotes from all 3 and suddenly I get a call from the sales manager from the farthest away one. He proceeds to tell me "We should have earned your business by now and since you didn't buy your last bike from us you are wasting our time!" The salesperson subsequently follows up and apologizes for the rudeness of the sales manager and says they will do their best to get a quote ready.

Well shame on me for wanting to get the best deal so that I can afford the payments. If these people want to be in a sales manager position they need to understand that people are going to shop for price. It's nothing personal LOL!

·
Rider
441 Posts
That sales manager is a moron and that being the obvious case management knows. They would never hear from me again.

:eek:

·
Bronze member
2,628 Posts
Car dealer tactics. Some in the vehicle/bike industry are still stuck in the pre-internet decade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Call the manager back and thank him for saving you the drive!

I bought my Indian from a HD dealer for Cheap. My Indian dealer knows I'm going to be in for service and accessories.

Its about making the customer happy. If I get treated nice enough I'll take care of you in the long run. In fact when I'm looking to buy those accessories that are a big money maker for dealers I'll go on a long road trip to buy them.

It's about keeping the business as a whole afloat not just one set of sales.

Ignotus P.

·
Registered
48 Posts
TigerGa said it, car dealer mentality. He wants you in house to show you are serious which increases his odds on the sale 3 fold whether he has the best price or not.

I buy a new diesel truck every year, I travel for business related things and average 70K a year in mileage. I alwats check 2-3 dealers. I was getting an oil change at one I had not checked before so chatted it up with the sales dept. long story short I was still there and my cell phone rang and it was the sales manager I have dealt with on my last few trucks, including one about a month before for my wife. He straight up said "what are you doing talking to them, you are buying from me." I laughed and said I was busy. I called him back after I left and he was right, my next truck came from him. They all have to answer to someone and his boss was notified that a dealer called in for payoff on my truck so he instantly wanted an answer to why I was not in their dealership. He and I have become as close of friends as you can with a "car dealer" and he treats me right and knows I have a number in my head when I start looking and he has beat that number on my last 7 trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts