Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow DFW dwellers. I'm starting down the road to purchasing a new Scout Bobber. I'm looking to get some feedback about your sales experience at the different dealerships in DFW. I'm looking for a dealer that's going to be upfront with me about the costs involved in purchasing from them, as well as giving me the best price. One of my personal pet peeves is the last-minute disclosure of a 4-figure "assembly" cost.

I'm looking SEPARATELY for the best dealerships in DFW to service the bike. I don't care for service advisers that offer worthless add-on services, and of course, like I assume everyone else, I want techs that know what they're doing. I'm not against wrenching on a bike myself, but sometimes you just need to get some service done so you can get on with life.

I live in Ellis County, so there is no dealership that is "close. The closest one is about an hour away, so at that point, who cares if it's two hours away for the right deal.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just purchased my 18 Chieftain Limited from Lone Star Indian, Garland (two weeks ago), no sales pressure... very good experience. They are highly rated on google reviews.

Reactions: Techbrute

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought mine at Lonestar as well. I felt it was a typical dealer experience. The deal wasn't worth raving about but I don't feel ripped off either.
Check prices at Mission City Indian too. They seem to have some happy customers and you can break her in on the best roads in Texas.

·
Founding member
1,515 Posts
I enjoy hanging out at the Garland dealer better than the one in Ft Worth. I have heard though that they have had quite a bit of turn around in shop personel since they opened. They've got a couple of fairly decent mechanics at Ft Worth. I had my cams installed there. Visit both. Trade with the one you like the best. If you don't like either one, call Rob Gregory in Little Rock and he'll bring you a bike of any kind or color and drop it right in you front yard. A lot of boys in Texas have bought from him, including me.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was referred to Lone Star Indian in Garland through the Costco Powersports program. 5 days later and I still can’t get them to give me a price. I’m going to follow up with them tomorrow one more time before giving up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
FYI no salesman that is worth anything is going to give you a price quote over the phone, you need to be in person at the dealership and have a figure in mind that you want to pay. If a saleman gives you a price over the phone, he is not a salesman, he is an order taker, those that have ever sold anything know exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I bought mine at Lonestar as well. I felt it was a typical dealer experience. The deal wasn't worth raving about but I don't feel ripped off either.
Check prices at Mission City Indian too. They seem to have some happy customers and you can break her in on the best roads in Texas.
Mission City Indian sells and ships Motorcycles all over Texas and the US.

Bought my 2015 Chieftain from them even though they weren't the closet Dealer.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
511 Posts
FYI no salesman that is worth anything is going to give you a price quote over the phone, you need to be in person at the dealership and have a figure in mind that you want to pay. If a saleman gives you a price over the phone, he is not a salesman, he is an order taker, those that have ever sold anything know exactly what I mean.
I usually make a cash offer in email. Sometimes they take it sometimes they counter-offer. It's not worth my time to ride/drive half an hour to give a salesperson an opportunity to "sell" something I've already decided I'm going to buy.

Reactions: Techbrute

·
Registered
473 Posts
Only one dealer where I live (New Mexico). Harley is across the street. I bought two bikes and were happy to pay sticker along with some incentives. I'd like to see the dealer make it and be successful.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,014 Posts
IMO your best and most reputable dealers in the DFW Metroplex area is going to be; Lone Star Indian in Garland TX & Republic of Texas Indian in McKinney TX. They both have and provide great service too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bought my 2014 last month at a HD dealer in Paris TX. The next day my wife and I went to several dealers around us (I am in Desoto). We stumbled upon "Republic of Texas Indian" dealer in Mckinney, TX. I was expecting to be treated badly because I did not buy a bike from them but it was just the opposite. I was introduced to everyone (sales, service, parts, managers) and they even took tons of time telling me about my new bike. While I was chatting with the sales manager he mentioned a program they had for 3 years of service (six services). I was expecting a hard sales pitch, but again it was just the opposite. He told me when and if I was ready that program would be there for me. We ended up getting that plan for my bike and then later I found out they would do the same on my wifes 2007 Suzuki (they have techs that have backgrounds in several makes of motorcycles). My wifes suzuki is currently in the shop getting a full service including having the brake lines replaced under their service plan (if its listed as a service item its covered). They also did the paperwork to transfer the remainder of the Indian extended warranty into my name. I would give them a try.
I have been to a couple of other closer Indian dealers and the treatment my wife and I received was enough to never go back. One even told me that I could not transfer the remainder of the Indian warranty into my name as it was ONLY for the original owner. When I asked if I could speak to a manager about it I was told that they were the person in charge and there was no one higher. So for us the 45 minute ride to Mckinney Indian is worth the time and I know the techs will do a great job.

BTW, your just down the road, give me a holler if you ever want to go on a ride or just have some coffee

John

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
I bought mine at Lone Star. Their followup and employee turnover is horrible.

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
This recent or from three years ago?
A year or so they moved Thomas out as Service manager. he was amazing. Since then there has been constant turnover. They seldom followup on what they tell you what they will do. This is still going on. For example. I order something and they never call me to tell me it came in. Last summer they performed a 10,000 file maintenance on my bike at 7,500 miles. I never asked them to do it nor did I need it. I paid for it like an idiot but later regretted it. In all fairness, they did my 15,000 oil change for free (at 11,500 miles). I asked for it, they didn't offer it. I tend to visit every few months and the faces seem to change on every visit.
I moved to Argyle. I have been trying to do business at Bid Tex (Denton) but their follow up is just as bad.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A year or so they moved Thomas out as Service manager. he was amazing. Since then there has been constant turnover. They seldom followup on what they tell you what they will do. This is still going on. For example. I order something and they never call me to tell me it came in. Last summer they performed a 10,000 file maintenance on my bike at 7,500 miles. I never asked them to do it nor did I need it. I paid for it like an idiot but later regretted it. In all fairness, they did my 15,000 oil change for free (at 11,500 miles). I asked for it, they didn't offer it. I tend to visit every few months and the faces seem to change on every visit.
I moved to Argyle. I have been trying to do business at Bid Tex (Denton) but their follow up is just as bad.
Ahh good to know, Well to be fair. Last Weds, I went on there website and submitted a parts request/installation for a mid-rise and some grips with my contact info. About an hour later, I received a phone call from them. They had the handlebar but not the grips in stock. They stated they would order the grips and call me when they came in. I received a phone call yesterday that the grips arrived and asked when I wanted to bring the bike in.
Also, a few days ago I received a call wanting to know if I would like to RSVP for there upcoming 02/24 Spring Clinic with lunch provided.
So far they have been pretty good with keeping in touch.
Maybe a lot has changed over the course of a year or so? I can only speak from my experience from the last month or so.

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
Well that sounds like good news. I hope they really have changed. It just seems to me they move the people around and nothing changes. That of course means the problem is higher up the ladder.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I finally just broke down and dropped by Lone Star. The Costco deal was acceptable, and I went ahead and told them I wanted it. A few days later, and they received a bike like I requested. I put a deposit on it today over the phone and will be picking it up on Saturday. Since it’s about an hour each way, I don’t know that I’ll be using them for service. I grew up wrenching on stuff, so I might just work on the bike myself. The salesperson actually lives near me and makes the long drive every day. He’s done an acceptable job, they keep him hopping. On the day I went in, there were six people that came in and asked for him while I was there.

I am getting 2018 Indian Scout Bobber ABS in Thunder Black Smoke. I got the Bobber Saddlebag as part of the deal I made, and if they have the rack and rear bag, I’ll pick those up along with the bike. As an aside, showing your Costco card gets you 15% off all Indian branded products. I’ve gotten conflicting reports on if the discount is on service.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So they give a 15 percent discount to anyone who buys Indian branded products or just those that also buy a motorcycle from them?

What was the Costco price compared to their regular price?

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts