Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you guys take your Indian in to the dealership for the break-in service after 500 or so miles? If so, how much did it cost you? I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow... I had a feeling I was getting the wool pulled over my eyes... Mine cost $417. I still paid it because I'm not qualified enough to check literally everything on the bike (I'm still learning), but I decided after that financial hit that I'd do all subsequent services (oil changes etc.) myself and save $350+...

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Wow... I had a feeling I was getting the wool pulled over my eyes... Mine cost $417. I still paid it because I'm not qualified enough to check literally everything on the bike (I'm still learning), but I decided after that financial hit that I'd do all subsequent services (oil changes etc.) myself and save $350+...
I did the first one due to warranty I don’t want to hear any BS. I’m no mechanic but I’m pretty mechanical thanks to all my years on HD. This ain’t rocket science get a manual if you can read and follow directions. You’d be amazed at what you can do. Most of us learned same way

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Yes and I do not recall the price. I do know it raised my eyebrows a bit. Manager said that one (500) and the 5k one were the most expensive until I think the 20k one?

I'm ok with it. I bought a Premium motorcycle. If I couldn't afford it, I'd have stayed on the porch.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Yes and I do not recall the price. I do know it raised my eyebrows a bit. Manager said that one (500) and the 5k one were the most expensive until I think the 20k one?

I'm ok with it. I bought a Premium motorcycle. If I couldn't afford it, I'd have stayed on the porch.
lol no you wouldn’t stop it !

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
$290. I've done the subsequent ones my self. Do the oil change yourself as that is the bulk of the cost.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Did they give you an itemized receipt? It would be interesting to see where the costs were at. $75 for oil change kit. Hard to imagine $342 in labor and tax to change the oil and inspect the bike. The biggest issue, especially for new Indians is the battery terminals are loose and the exhaust header needs a little tightening. Also you may want to check the seat bolts but since you have to take off the seat to check the battery terminals...
I see that you are in Orlando but when you are ready for tires I would recommend making a trip to Daytona. Their tire prices are about average of everyone else but labor is free if you buy a tire from them. I got charged 1.5 hrs labor by my local dealer for a rear tire on my Vic so I went to Daytona and had it done on my Indian. I'm on the email list for the dealership and read about the free labor. Sometimes some of the independents will change a tire for a flat fee even if you bring your own. Just keep all of your receipts for warranty purposes.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did they give you an itemized receipt? It would be interesting to see where the costs were at. $75 for oil change kit. Hard to imagine $342 in labor and tax to change the oil and inspect the bike. The biggest issue, especially for new Indians is the battery terminals are loose and the exhaust header needs a little tightening. Also you may want to check the seat bolts but since you have to take off the seat to check the battery terminals...
I see that you are in Orlando but when you are ready for tires I would recommend making a trip to Daytona. Their tire prices are about average of everyone else but labor is free if you buy a tire from them. I got charged 1.5 hrs labor by my local dealer for a rear tire on my Vic so I went to Daytona and had it done on my Indian. I'm on the email list for the dealership and read about the free labor. Sometimes some of the independents will change a tire for a flat fee even if you bring your own. Just keep all of your receipts for warranty purposes.
I just got another recommendation less than an hour ago for Daytona...sounds like they do good work up there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got another recommendation less than an hour ago for Daytona...sounds like they do good work up there.
Been having Daytona Indian service my Chief since I've owned it (August 2018). Bike sat for over 7 years (last tagged in 2012). After my Division Chief towed the bike to Daytona for/with me (full enclosed trailer), I talked with the service dept. with them suggesting the things I should have done, and I suggested the things I wanted done.

Fluids, tread/tubes, tune, recalls if applicable, 10K service check, headlight wiring, etc., and other assorted do-dads that needed attention, was all fixed. I knew what I was walking in to and figured I would have to have $2000 ready to invest in repairs. Came in under $1500 and I now have full confidence in operating the bike. If the service dept. didn't have the part for my Gilroy, they knew where to get it...and told me the same information...they didn't hide a thing from me. They had the bike for a month waiting for those OEM parts to come in...and gave me at least 1 call a week to keep me updated. Recent runs to Vero Beach and another up to Daytona, I put on a good 400 miles over the past weekend, and never ran better.

Armed with the information given to me by the service dept., I now have over 20 OEM Indian (in original packaging, never been on a motorcycle), parts sitting on the shelf. Those guys didn't have to do that. They hid nothing from me.

IMHO, if you want to deal in the motorcycle business, and have a dealership/shop in Daytona (the Mecca of the bike world), you better have it together in Daytona! I think these guys at Daytona Indian understand that. So far, I highly recommend Daytona Indian. Somewhere around here I mentioned how many bikes they sold during Bike Week 2019 (well over 200 in a 10 day period). They must be doing something right!

·
Rider
424 Posts
Mine was around $265 tax and all. Have another new 2018 Chieftain Classic that I'm breaking in now. I will probably have them do the break-in service and then I'll take over after that. $417 seems excessive to me.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
$180 for the service, plus another $140 to put a war bonnet on the fender. The cost wasn’t bad, but the 89 mile one way ride in the rain was a sumbitch.

Bubba

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, apparently, it was $66.93 for the oil change, around $50 in tax, and $300 ($100 an hour for labor) to get it to that price. That seems pretty high for labor to me. I definitely think that I'll be doing any and all service to this bike from here on out unless it's extremely advanced work.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few of y'all have mentioned "warranty." That's different than the protection plan, right? I got protection plan coverage when I bought the bike, but I don't think that covers maintenance plans...just if stuff breaks down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts