Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if polaris is just going to drop indian showrooms into standing dealerships for vic or if they are going to be opening independent shops? I've looked and tried to brainstorm what I can but sadly I haven't been spending a lot of time with dealership lately. I spoke briefly with polaris west in katy texas and they said they were 'in the running' for an indian license but it's the ONLY concern I have with indian. According to their website, I see 6 dealerships in the United States. I'm sure polaris will juice this up on more steroids than what hulk hogan randy savage and lyle alzado (sp?) have taken to date but I'm just wondering if anyone has any input or rumors on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did hear that there are curently 27 'authorized' Indian dealers so it appears that the website is out of date. However, if you realize that the current inventory of available Indian's is pretty darned low, it is likely that Polaris tried to appease many dealers by subsidizing them with Victory product in the near term. I DO know that Polaris is working on plans to get a significantly larger dealer network in place. They KNOW this will take a while but I would expect that many (if not ALL) Victory dealer's will be 'offered' the ability to carry Indian as well but (as I understand it) the entry price is about 10 times what a Victory dealership costs to start up so some of them may not have the $'s needed to 'play ball'... Only time will tell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure but how many Vic dealers were there bck in 2000? I am sure it will take time to get going but over time it will grow for sure. I would have expected more than 27 to start with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indians will not just be dumped in Victory dealers, although I have talked to more than one Victory dealer who wishes they would! Keep in mind having a network of crappy dealers is just as bad, or worse, than having a network of too few dealers. The rumors I've heard (from Vic dealers) is that Indian will be run as a completely independent brand. They're looking to get into the 100 largest markets first and buying an Indian franchise and meeting the minimum requirements for showroom space and inventory will not be cheap or easy. I would not look for a small dealer to be adding a few Indians in the back of their dirty showroom any time soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My local Victory dealer told me Polaris is requireing a LARGE investment to carry the new Indian franchise and they are going to pass. To bad beacuse they have a very attractive large showroom and is similar to a HD boutique....I mean dealership.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to my dealer who is Vic / multi brand. They were an Indian dealer prior but owner has bad taste left from previous experience. I also was told that Indians sold well and most customers added stuff at time of sale, even with already stiff msrp.
I know for a fact that being a Polaris dealer doesn't make you a shoo in to become Vic dealer. Can't imagine Indian dealership would be any different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best Vic dealer in Quebec looks and feels like a Harley dealer won't get Indian because his location ain't right

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense to start off by using the existing Victory/Polaris dealer network then expanding as needed. Building new stand alone Indian dealerships from the ground up would take a lot of time while no bikes are being sold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Indain brand is going to require a certain type of showroom, with a large amount of space. I talked to a dealer about the Indian brand and they told me that the showroom requirement is substanial. The intent is to have the Indian showroom a place that speaks to the quality of the brand. Not many current Vic dealers are ready for this investment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This all sounds very discouraging!!! Just give me one dealer in New England. I drove 3 hours for my Victory......

Make the bike bulletproof, and I'll order everything off the Internet!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4902 said:
........Keep in mind having a network of crappy dealers is just as bad, or worse, than having a network of too few dealers.
I agree. They (Polaris) may struggle at first to do it this way, but I think it will be worth it later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read on the Indian site that they require a $250K start up fee for everything from inventory, parts, appearal, marketing/advertising, etc. It would be in Indian's best interest to pick the right kind of dealers and go slowly. No matter what the first year production run is, it will be sold out with the 6 dealers in the US and the overseas dealers. I was recently thinking Vic, but have decided to wait for the Indian. I'm talking to three of them now, and one in Mexico (since I live mostly out of the US). There is a prospect list developing, with a downpayment to hold a place in line. Just like what Tesla has done quite successfully.

You don't see a Yugo and MB dealership together. Polaris knows that they have to appear to be, both in showroom quality and in execution, the Ferrari of bikes. If they get this wrong with the new model, they are screwed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So conversations with my Vic dealer today has given me some insight to this. They can be in the same building, but must have their own enterance, and have a wall keeping Indian separate from other brands. There are 4 dealerships in Edmonton trying to get the Indian license (including one Harley Dealer). The cost is more than $250k for the franchise as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they're smart they will only go into the very best Vic dealers. If they're real smart they will also get into the very best Harley dealers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
15617 said:
I have read on the Indian site that they require a $250K start up fee for everything from inventory, parts, appearal, marketing/advertising, etc. It would be in Indian's best interest to pick the right kind of dealers and go slowly. No matter what the first year production run is, it will be sold out with the 6 dealers in the US and the overseas dealers. I was recently thinking Vic, but have decided to wait for the Indian. I'm talking to three of them now, and one in Mexico (since I live mostly out of the US). There is a prospect list developing, with a downpayment to hold a place in line. Just like what Tesla has done quite successfully.

You don't see a Yugo and MB dealership together. Polaris knows that they have to appear to be, both in showroom quality and in execution, the Ferrari of bikes. If they get this wrong with the new model, they are screwed.
It's $200K for a US-based Indian franchise vs. aroud $20K for a Victory franchise so that may give you a good idea of what is going on

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
15617 said:
While I underdstand and agree with most of what you're saying I'm not sure your analogy is on point. Victory is nothing like a Yugo and Indian is no Ferrari or Mercedes. More like Chevy compared to Caddilac. If you sell them in the same dealership you should definitely have a seperate area for the Indians.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guilty as charged. My analogies weren't correct, but the intent was that both brands need to be well separated, whether they be in the same building or not. Indian has always been marketed as a unique brand and should continue to be such. Otherwise, the price that Polaris paid, mostly for goodwill, will have been decimated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On January 18, 2013, Polaris CEO, Scott Wine, appeared on CNBC and addressed this subject. As you can see in the video, he mentions a new partnership with Penske for dealership expansion. While he didn't go into too many details, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

<pre><object id='cnbcplayer' height='380' width='400' classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0' >
<param name='type' value='application/x-shockwave-flash'/>
<param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'/>
<param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always'/>
<param name='quality' value='best'/>
<param name='scale' value='noscale' />
<param name='wmode' value='transparent'/>
<param name='bgcolor' value='#000000'/>
<param name='salign' value='lt'/>
<param name='movie' value='http://plus.cnbc.com/rssvideosearch/action/player/id/3000140843/code/cnbcplayershare'/>
<embed name='cnbcplayer' PLUGINSPAGE='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' bgcolor='#000000' height='380' width='400' quality='best' wmode='transparent' scale='noscale' salign='lt' src='http://plus.cnbc.com/rssvideosearch/action/player/id/3000140843/code/cnbcplayershare' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' />
</object></pre>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts