Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the average dealer prep fee in your area,
There is a dealer in the NW charging $1,999.00 for setup on a Indian ......Freaking insane

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,780 Posts
I don't know what it is at the nearest dealer to me, but $2k to wash, wax and do an inspection on a bike is insane.

One thing that I always remember when buying a vehicle is that everything except the tax is negotiable. You have to be willing to walk away and the salesperson needs to know that.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Buying a Motorcycle is kind of like buying a car. You might want to make a few phone calls to see what other dealers are offering, or charging for dealer fees. If you find one with lower fees, present it to your local dealer. They might be willing to work with you to keep the sale in town. Indian is offering special financing and $250 toward Parts or clothing. I think that special goes until the end of the month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not buying a Bike from that dealer. I already have another willing to deal. But I was just wondering what others are charging. At 2k i can buy a plane ticket, buy a bike, enjoy a nice ride home and still have money left over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I paid $250 set up fee. And $200 shipping. Then they had $150 junk fee on top of that. The other dealer in my state wanted $450 set up and $400 shipping. Try to call different dealers in your area if possible. The bikes are popular so dealers jack up the fees. You don't want a long freeway ride. On a bike not broke in yet. Things might get better in a year or so but who wants to wait!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
My Dealer charged $495 - Freight, $299 - Set up and $249 - Doc Fee. Also had to pay Sales Tax and Lic. & Reg. Did the $2k include tax and tag or just the added dealer fees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two dealers in my area.....slickeddie, whats a junk fee? you didn't trade in a vespa with 250,000 miles on it did you?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had to LOL at the Vespa comment. I had a 63 Vespa 150 scared the crap out of me. like going 50 MPH on a Lawn Boy mower. The fee was for documentation. Just did not plan for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Documentation fees are totally bogus just like most of the other fees. Back in the 80's I sold cars and that taught me a lot about dealer rip offs. The dealer I worked for charged dealer prep which was also a bogus fee. I remember having to push undercoating because at the time that was the big money maker for the dealer. They gave the customer a choice of a regular or Heavy Duty undercoating with two different prices but you got the same thing regardless of your choice. The dealers were pretty slick when they invented the documentation fee because as the buyer you think your deal is done until they slap several hundred dollars on at the last minute. I only stayed in the car business for about 7 years because I got tired of being forced to do all the crooked things dealers do. When I'm shopping for a car or bike I really appreciate finding an honest dealer, they are few and far between.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Want the best deal? Do your homework ! Check prices at various dealers, even if at another town. Never let on to a salesman that you WANT something, that your just "looking" or better yet say you dropped your wife off at a beauty parlor or shopping and your just "killing time" 'til SHE'S DONE ! Keep the "small talk" SMALL, no way to give salesmen any clue to your interest. If they get pushy remember the front door swings BOTH WAY'S ! So if it comes down to discussing price get their OTD (out the door) price which includes everything and all charges broken down and in writing. Then say you need to "sleep on it" or discuss it with wife and you'll get back to them. And don't let them tell you it's only good for today, because if they can sell it today for a certain price they can later. One final thing if you want any accessories, oil, cover, service manual, extended warranty, etc get them to "sweeten the deal" by selling them to you at their cost (they don't lose any money, but make a sale, and you both win).

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Denver was going to charge me 400 set up, 300 shipping, couple more dollars for odds and ends. Way under the 2000 dollars you were quoted
I still decided to buy from Ride Now in AZ much lower fees than even Denver.
They knew I was looking in Denver, live 1.5 hours away from Denver & could easy just buy here in CO.
They wanted a sale, as all dealers do shop around and tell the closer dealership what you are doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts