Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm good with paying few 100 bucks for dealer fee as long as their starting price to sell isn't to far up there.
went to a new chevy dealership few weeks back. sticker prices were $10k more on their trucks. Bottom line still have my car.
You really dodged a bullet there... Almost ended up with a a chivvy. Ewwww.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I flat out refused to pay any setup or doc fees. Threatened to walk, and I meant it. They came to thier senses and decided the sale wasn't worth jeopardizing for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So currently Indian Scout Bobber while configured on their site comes to $12399 but when I wen to dealer, she said the same stock vehicle, I will end up paying close $15K, she mentioned that it is taxes and destination charges, hence I walked out for now to do some more research

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
So currently Indian Scout Bobber while configured on their site comes to $12399 but when I wen to dealer, she said the same stock vehicle, I will end up paying close $15K, she mentioned that it is taxes and destination charges, hence I walked out for now to do some more research
In Minnesota sales tax alone would be $1007.00 US. Would be interesting to see a break down of the fees.

·
Rider
371 Posts
I wanted my dealer to come down in price. They said they wouldn't because they don't charge for freight or setup fees.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I paid over $1,500.00 in dealer fees and setup charges when I bought my Scout in Dec. of 2014.
I have NOT forgotten this and will not ever buy another Indian bike if this is the norm.
Yes this is what my dealer is charging or for me, Are they price gauging or is there any way I can verify this with Indian directly?

·
Rider
404 Posts
Yes this is what my dealer is charging or for me, Are they price gauging or is there any way I can verify this with Indian directly?
When I bought a new Scout in '18, I got quotes from multiple dealers. Bottom line, its all just a fill the buckets game. At the end of the day, its mostly all the same amount of water just piled up in different buckets, thats all. [Its like buying a cheap airline ticket (anybody remember buying airline tickets?, the ticket is cheap, but luggage, carry on, where you get to sit, all extra]. Some offered to come off the MSRP, but then had higher dealer fees. Some have cheap or no dealer fees but put into the cost of the bike. . There is website called seedealercost.com where they show you MSRP and dealer invoice cost. You can see there is not alot of money in selling these if thats all a dealer has to live on, roughly a thousand a bike. So, they have to get it some place else. In any case, I was surpised by the time the bike was out the door, everybody was within a couple of hundred bucks of everyone else:

Dealer Charlotte NCMelbourneJacksonvilleFt MyersHobe Sound
A
MSRP12999MSRP12999MSRP12999MSRP12999MSRP12999
dealer feencdealer fee699dealer fee incl dealer feeincldealer feeincl
docs/freight860docs/freightincldocs/freightincldocs/freightincldocs/freightincl
Subtl13859Subtl13698Subtl $ 14,292SubtlinclSubtlincl
Tax Rate0.06Tax Rate0.06Tax Rate0.06Tax RateinclTax Rateincl
Tax831.54Tax821.88Tax857.52TaxinclTaxincl
title tagsincltitle tags220.3title tags220.3title tagsincltitle tagsincl
Total $ 14,691Total $ 14,740Total $ 14,512Total $ 14,700Total $ 14,500

When I looked it all over, I worked up what I thought was a "fair price"; a dealer is entitled to some profit, he does have to pay to get the bike shipped there, and he does have to pay mechanics to get it set up, not to mention rent, utilities, etc. . Some dealers didnt want to work with me over the phone or internet, would not give me numbers unless I came in. In the end I just bought from the dealer that had the color I wanted and who was forthcoming with good information and just a whole lot easier to work with over the phone from a distance He wasnt the cheapest, but he was less than my estimate of what a fair total price should be, and as indicatated, we are only talking a couple hundred bucks variation in the bottom line, out the door cost.

My Guess On a Fair Price2018 Scout
MSRP12999
Costs
Est Invoice $11,899.00
Est Freight $ 500.00
Est Setup $ 250.00
Subtotal $12,649.00
Reasonable Profit 7.5% $ 948.68
Subtotal $13,597.68
Tax $ 815.86
Tag/Title Fees $ 210.00
Acceptable OTD $14,623.54

·
Registered
106 Posts
I will have to check on that. What I negotiated for my 2019 Chieftain Limited is the out the door price. Tax and title included. I paid $21K. Bought it in November 2019 brand new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I bought a new Scout in '18, I got quotes from multiple dealers. Bottom line, its all just a fill the buckets game. At the end of the day, its mostly all the same amount of water just piled up in different buckets, thats all. [Its like buying a cheap airline ticket (anybody remember buying airline tickets?, the ticket is cheap, but luggage, carry on, where you get to sit, all extra]. Some offered to come off the MSRP, but then had higher dealer fees. Some have cheap or no dealer fees but put into the cost of the bike. . There is website called seedealercost.com where they show you MSRP and dealer invoice cost. You can see there is not alot of money in selling these if thats all a dealer has to live on, roughly a thousand a bike. So, they have to get it some place else. In any case, I was surpised by the time the bike was out the door, everybody was within a couple of hundred bucks of everyone else:

Dealer Charlotte NCMelbourneJacksonvilleFt MyersHobe Sound
A
MSRP12999MSRP12999MSRP12999MSRP12999MSRP12999
dealer feencdealer fee699dealer feeincldealer feeincldealer feeincl
docs/freight860docs/freightincldocs/freightincldocs/freightincldocs/freightincl
Subtl13859Subtl13698Subtl$ 14,292SubtlinclSubtlincl
Tax Rate0.06Tax Rate0.06Tax Rate0.06Tax RateinclTax Rateincl
Tax831.54Tax821.88Tax857.52TaxinclTaxincl
title tagsincltitle tags220.3title tags220.3title tagsincltitle tagsincl
Total$ 14,691Total$ 14,740Total$ 14,512Total$ 14,700Total$ 14,500

When I looked it all over, I worked up what I thought was a "fair price"; a dealer is entitled to some profit, he does have to pay to get the bike shipped there, and he does have to pay mechanics to get it set up, not to mention rent, utilities, etc. . Some dealers didnt want to work with me over the phone or internet, would not give me numbers unless I came in. In the end I just bought from the dealer that had the color I wanted and who was forthcoming with good information and just a whole lot easier to work with over the phone from a distance He wasnt the cheapest, but he was less than my estimate of what a fair total price should be, and as indicatated, we are only talking a couple hundred bucks variation in the bottom line, out the door cost.

My Guess On a Fair Price2018 Scout
MSRP12999
Costs
Est Invoice$11,899.00
Est Freight$ 500.00
Est Setup$ 250.00
Subtotal$12,649.00
Reasonable Profit 7.5%$ 948.68
Subtotal$13,597.68
Tax$ 815.86
Tag/Title Fees$ 210.00
Acceptable OTD$14,623.54
This is an awesome break up, I cannot thank you enough for the detailed listing. In my case a Base Price $12999 was coming to $15000 out the door, she never gave the breakup so I walked out. Now I will go to another dealer and ask about all these details. Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bottom line is that a dealer can charge whatever they need to charge to make a profit and still be competitive with other dealers. Just like any other business. We can complain about what they charge, or we can complain when a dealer goes out of business and we have to go another 100 miles further to buy a bike or get service. And that's when the few dealers left standing will really start gouging by charging even more. We need as many dealers as possible so there is competition. This helps to keep dealer fees and repair costs down. More dealers means we can "shop around" for the best price.

Nobody wants to see dealers struggling to stay afloat, paying low wages to mechanics (which leads to shoddy work), and hiring minimum wage salespeople and other staff that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

·
Rider
404 Posts
This is an awesome break up, I cannot thank you enough for the detailed listing. In my case a Base Price $12999 was coming to $15000 out the door, she never gave the breakup so I walked out. Now I will go to another dealer and ask about all these details. Thanks again

SeeDealerCost.com lists 2021 MSRP for a Scout at 11499, and dealer invoice at 10349, difference of 1150. If you are looking at a bike which has various options and stuff that brings the MSRP to 12999 then I would hazard a guess the dealer cost is 11849. I assume costs for shipping and dealer prep have not changed much since I looked at it, assume dealer has reasonable 7.5% profit, and state sales tax and title fees are whatever they are, dealer cant eat those or make them go away; I have assumed Florida rates so I get 14566 out the door. Thats south of the 15K you got quoted but its in shouting distance. In any case, having a dealer break it all down for you in a way that makes sense and seems fair all around is a reasonable thing to insist on. Best of luck and post pics of what you finally get.

MSRP12999
Costs
Est Invoice $11,849.00
Est Freight $ 500.00
Est Setup $ 250.00
Subtotal $12,599.00
Reasonable Profit 7.5% $ 944.93
Subtotal $13,543.93
Tax $ 812.64
Tag/Title Fees $ 210.00
Acceptable OTD $14,566.56

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
SeeDealerCost.com lists 2021 MSRP for a Scout at 11499, and dealer invoice at 10349, difference of 1150. If you are looking at a bike which has various options and stuff that brings the MSRP to 12999 then I would hazard a guess the dealer cost is 11849. I assume costs for shipping and dealer prep have not changed much since I looked at it, assume dealer has reasonable 7.5% profit, and state sales tax and title fees are whatever they are, dealer cant eat those or make them go away; I have assumed Florida rates so I get 14566 out the door. Thats south of the 15K you got quoted but its in shouting distance. In any case, having a dealer break it all down for you in a way that makes sense and seems fair all around is a reasonable thing to insist on. Best of luck and post pics of what you finally get.

MSRP12999
Costs
Est Invoice $11,849.00
Est Freight $ 500.00
Est Setup $ 250.00
Subtotal $12,599.00
Reasonable Profit 7.5% $ 944.93
Subtotal $13,543.93
Tax $ 812.64
Tag/Title Fees $ 210.00
Acceptable OTD $14,566.56
I can tell you if all a dealer made from a bike sale was 7.5% there wouldn’t be any left to sell bikes, atvs etc. Markup on retail goods is 40 to 50%. Cars and motorcycles are 20% when all is said and done. If they aren’t making around 15% on the deal they will be out of business in a year. On models like a Scout they should be selling for full price because the margin is so low. It takes a quick look on the forum to see how many Indian dealerships have gone out of business. Other brands have lost dealerships as well. Spend the extra 500 and keep your dealership open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts

MSRP12999
Costs
Est Invoice$11,849.00
Est Freight$ 500.00
Est Setup$ 250.00
Subtotal$12,599.00
Reasonable Profit 7.5%$ 944.93
Subtotal$13,543.93
Tax$ 812.64
Tag/Title Fees$ 210.00
Acceptable OTD$14,566.56
Thank u I will post the pic once I get, it's the least I can do to thank this community

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can tell you if all a dealer made from a bike sale was 7.5% there wouldn’t be any left to sell bikes, atvs etc. Markup on retail goods is 40 to 50%. Cars and motorcycles are 20% when all is said and done. If they aren’t making around 15% on the deal they will be out of business in a year. On models like a Scout they should be selling for full price because the margin is so low. It takes a quick look on the forum to see how many Indian dealerships have gone out of business. Other brands have lost dealerships as well. Spend the extra 500 and keep your dealership open.

Good to know

·
Rider
404 Posts

I do beleive you are right about the profit needing to be up around 15%. Not sure how it works with motorcycles, but with cars there is or used to be a thing called holdback, which reduced the dealer's invoice cost another few percent. I am sure there is probably some profit markup in the set up and delivery costs, so perhaps total profit could be 12, maybe 15 percent. Still, thats pretty thin. The motorcycke sales business looks pretty tough, gotta move alot of units to stay afloat. In any case, the OPs question was whats a good out the door number and was 15K too high. Answer i think is maybe a little, but aggessive shopping around may not see a great savings. Better to be just in the ball park with a dealer one is comfortable with.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts