Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what dealers pay for freight?
I actually know most motorcycle companies actually pay for the setup. So that usually is a bogus charge.
I actually understand a reasonable doc fee say under 250.00.
What did you pay in fees?
Just trying to understand what is reasonable.
I live in the southeastern US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
I paid over $1,500.00 in dealer fees and setup charges when I bought my Scout in Dec. of 2014.
I have NOT forgotten this and will not ever buy another Indian bike if this is the norm.

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
It’s just a shell game

Car dealers do the same now.

It’s a way they can show a lower leader price then get it on the total sale price

It comes down to. What are you going to pay. If it’s not a fair deal no matter how they shift the numbers then walk out

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Give me the paperwork and I will take it to the DMV not worth paying money to dealer. I got in an argument once and walked out at signing, I refused to pay any document fee. Takes maybe 10 minutes at our license bureau if you don't go over lunch or after work.

Does anyone know what dealers pay for freight?
I actually know most motorcycle companies actually pay for the setup. So that usually is a bogus charge.
I actually understand a reasonable doc fee say under 250.00.
What did you pay in fees?
Just trying to understand what is reasonable.
I live in the southeastern US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
It’s not, there are no dealer fees where I shop.
May I give you a very respectful BS on this!
It is there, you just don't know where.

Remember the old adage about the guy that put a pair of roller skates in his expense account so he could get around the warehouse easier.
The boss told him that he was not going to reimburse him for the skates.
Next week he saw the guy again and said that he was glad that he took them off his expense account.
He said that they were still there, you just can't see them.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Some manufacturers will charge a freight fee to the dealership and the dealership will in turn pass it on to the customer. Other fees will sometimes be added. I had the opportunity to visit a dealership recently. There was a freight fee of $500, dealer prep of $400 and another fee ( can’t remember) of $300 plus. That’s almost 1300 bucks. Now the dealership can do whatever it wants when it comes to added fees. When I was at the dealership we charged $695. I was able to negotiate for my customers (yes I actually negotiated for them) and alleviate the pain. If the fees are too high find another dealership. Bottom line is it’s just money for the dealership.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I paid ZERO in fees. In reality and legally they have to show them on the contract.
I ended up with 4k off MSRP on a brand new 17 in Jan of 17, when all was said and done.
So just for simplicity lets say Freight was $750 and foc fees were another $250 bringing that total to $1000. So invoice showed I got $5000 off MSRP then they added freight and doc fees back in, showing me with a true 4k off MSRP.

There was a discrimination suit many years ago because a dealer didn't charge or show Freight/setup/doc fees to a white guy, but refused the same to a black couple. Appearances!

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts

Remember the old adage about the guy that put a pair of roller skates in his expense account so he could get around the warehouse easier.
Next week he saw the guy again and said that he was glad that he took them off his expense account.
so then your mad at a dealer that is straight up with you... and call a dealer that hides it a cheat... there is not a dealer around here for any brand that doesn't have it in plain site... but you can negotiate it

·
Registered
597 Posts
Fees? Couldn't tell you. I negotiated an out the door price for both scouts. I don't care how they expense it out.
Not only did I negotiate out the door prices, but also free stuff. Accessories they already have in stock should easily go out the door at their cost to make a sale on a bike. Buy in the off season and most likely they aren't backed up in the service department. They have to pay those guys whether they're working or not, so it's not like it really costs them anything to throw in some free labor.

I got great out the door prices with free accessories like the Indian intake, stage 1 pipes, etc. with them doing the install for no extra charge. They wanted to sell two bikes and everyone was happy.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Google Image Result for https://www.dictionary.com/e/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/cool-story-bro-6.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Dealer fees and charges can vary depending on the size of the bike , it is really a way to increase the profit margin of both car and bike dealerships. They say it covers unpacking the bike ,doing pre delivery checks and other related cost. In actual fact if you push hard and I mean push, they in some cases discount that fee or stick too their guns. I personal think it stinks because they have to unpack and do the pre-delivery regardless along with registering the bike .all that you pay for in the price of the bike anyway.

·
Founding member
1,092 Posts
And the other side of the story.

I bought six new bikes from the same dealer. four Indians, a BMW and a Triumph.

Never a set up or freight fee. Small doc fee.

This dealership is owned by a large automobile group.They are doing away with Indian and BMW. Triumph was discontinued a while
ago.

It seems the profit margin wasn't enough to justify the franchise fees and related costs.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'm good with paying few 100 bucks for dealer fee as long as their starting price to sell isn't to far up there.
went to a new chevy dealership few weeks back. sticker prices were $10k more on their trucks. Bottom line still have my car.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Dealer fees and charges can vary depending on the size of the bike , it is really a way to increase the profit margin of both car and bike dealerships. They say it covers unpacking the bike ,doing pre delivery checks and other related cost. In actual fact if you push hard and I mean push, they in some cases discount that fee or stick too their guns. I personal think it stinks because they have to unpack and do the pre-delivery regardless along with registering the bike .all that you pay for in the price of the bike anyway.
I'm the US you can register our own "X" you don't need the dealer to do anything. You are paying for them to walk it through for you. Just give me the origination paperwork that comes with a new "X" and we can do it ourselves. I bought a new trailer and the dealer tried giving me same line of BS. I just smiled said no thank you give me the paperwork. I had plates in the time it took me to drive to the DMV.

I do understand businesses have an overhead etc. I just don't like when people try to hide stuff or lie to me and say they have to do it when I know better. Put the price on the item and sell it without trying to add a profit on the back end when you think a person will just accept it.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I'm the US you can register our own "X" you don't need the dealer to do anything. You are paying for them to walk it through for you. Just give me the origination paperwork that comes with a new "X" and we can do it ourselves. I bought a new trailer and the dealer tried giving me same line of BS. I just smiled said no thank you give me the paperwork. I had plates in the time it took me to drive to the DMV.

I do understand businesses have an overhead etc. I just don't like when people try to hide stuff or lie to me and say they have to do it when I know better. Put the price on the item and sell it without trying to add a profit on the back end when you think a person will just accept it.
I can say no business aide anything like that as it is always stated on any prices including advertised specials that dealer and delivery charges apply. That Laos include and mention Government charges and taxes. But I always challenge the dealers delivery charges and make sure I get the best price thats always shown and included in the contracts paper work.

·
Rider
862 Posts
No dealer fees just that stupid destination fee.
No charges for setup.
I had ordered the Indian oval stage 1 high flow.
There were no charges to install and set fuel flash.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No dealer fees just that stupid destination fee.
No charges for setup.
I had ordered the Indian oval stage 1 high flow.
There were no charges to install and set fuel flash.
What was you destination fee or shipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts