Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Little rant.... I took the chieftain for stage 3 cam install. I would rather wrench myself but chose this route for warranty. Not buying cam tool. Lack of experience. Peace of mind. Since they were doing cams had them throw on pipes, thought they needed to come off. I was wrong. Told should be 2-3 hours. Due to wrong part sent from fuel moto they had to install mufflers 2 times. Charged me an extra 2 hours. So assuming shoulda been 180-270 got rocked 440.

Got bike back filthy dirty. Like it sat for months. Today washing it I discovered a nice size dent in the new muffler and never installed the other side right. The bags just flap in the breeze. I did take a quick spin. It runs like an animal, But I hate taking anything to a dealer and then this happens. Can’t wait til they open Tuesday to straighten in out. Hopefully that side goes smooth, they own up and take care of me. I have a picture from dealer and clearly
Dented prior to taking home. Rant over

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
Dent in muffler is an issue. It looks like the bag just needs to be seated correctly on the exhaust. Regarding the dirty bike...do you really want the dealer washing it? Most dealers have some teen making min. wage washing bikes. I’d rather take it home dirty and clean it myself than risk some kid washing it with a dirty gritty rag or scratching with a ring...especially on matte paint because you’re not able buff out scratches. On the service hours...if you brought the FM parts in for install, then I see them charging for all the labor. If they purchased the parts from FM, then I think they should have eaten the extra hours. Very few bike dealers have service depts. that give me confidence. Not covering fenders & tanks prior to working on bikes, placing saddle bags on the shop floor, leaving bolts loose, scratching wheels on tire changes, failure to adjust belt after tire change, paint scratches...my list is long.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Best of luck with your dealer follow up!! In 50ish years of riding none of my bikes have gone to a dealer for anything. I do my best to maintain and or fix things myself. But like you, parider, I don't have the special tool/s needed for cam install. So...I plan to deliver my '15 Vintage to the dealer for stage2 cams and flash in a few weeks.

Bike was covered for the winter so this weekend I removed the covers and decided to do a little spring cleaning/detail. Bike condition is NRA 99.5% LOL. And during the cleaning process I got to thinking/hoping that some ham fisted wrench doesn't fk up any chrome or paint. Your post hasn't helped at all to put my mind at ease ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dent in muffler is an issue. It looks like the bag just needs to be seated correctly on the exhaust. Regarding the dirty bike...do you really want the dealer washing it? Most dealers have some teen making min. wage washing bikes. I’d rather take it home dirty and clean it myself than risk some kid washing it with a dirty gritty rag or scratching with a ring...especially on matte paint because you’re not able buff out scratches. On the service hours...if you brought the FM parts in for install, then I see them charging for all the labor. If they purchased the parts from FM, then I think they should have eaten the extra hours. Very few bike dealers have service depts. that give me confidence. Not covering fenders & tanks prior to working on bikes, placing saddle bags on the shop floor, leaving bolts loose, scratching wheels on tire changes, failure to adjust belt after tire change, paint scratches...my list is long.
I agree completely about washing it. I told them that when I picked it up. I would rather it myself. I’m meticulous w cleaning it. Use a leaf blower to dry it. Don’t wipe it unless have to.
The hours I bought into like u said Iordered from fuel moto so they did what they needed. I wanted to take it home and reinstall the new mufflers myself but they where cautious about lose bags even trailering it so I liked that attention And care. I guess it was the accumulation of it all. Standing back and saying I did pay top dollar and this is the list of what I have now.
Higher price. Mounted wrong. Dinged pipe. Filthy bike. Bummed me out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best of luck with your dealer follow up!! In 50ish years of riding none of my bikes have gone to a dealer for anything. I do my best to maintain and or fix things myself. But like you, parider, I don't have the special tool/s needed for cam install. So...I plan to deliver my '15 Vintage to the dealer for stage2 cams and flash in a few weeks.

Bike was covered for the winter so this weekend I removed the covers and decided to do a little spring cleaning/detail. Bike condition is NRA 99.5% LOL. And during the cleaning process I got to thinking/hoping that some ham fisted wrench doesn't fk up any chrome or paint. Your post hasn't helped at all to put my mind at ease ;)

i am the same exact way. Truck or bike never take anything anywhere. I hope more care went into the cam install than the damn pipe ha. This thing sat covered since late fall. A few months it didn’t have a spot of dust on it when I took it there. A week there it looks like it sat in a barn for a year. Wish I coulda helped more. I was hoping for a pain free process lol

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts

well get that bike to 100% NRA and put a holster on the front forks... all kidding aside... I've learned that before my bike turns over to the tech I take pictures of everything in front of the tech... they seem to pay a little more attention and if there is a problem... you have evidence to get justice

Reactions: WillyH

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
well get that bike to 100% NRA and put a holster on the front forks... all kidding aside... I've learned that before my bike turns over to the tech I take pictures of everything in front of the tech... they seem to pay a little more attention and if there is a problem... you have evidence to get justice
When I deliver the bike to them I plan on mentioning the very good condition of the bike to them, and let them know that I expect to pick it up in the same condition. I don't like to be a prick so I'll let them know as politely as I can, while being direct. Agreed, pictures is a great idea... worth a thousand words!!

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
i am the same exact way. Truck or bike never take anything anywhere. I hope more care went into the cam install than the damn pipe ha. This thing sat covered since late fall. A few months it didn’t have a spot of dust on it when I took it there. A week there it looks like it sat in a barn for a year. Wish I coulda helped more. I was hoping for a pain free process lol
Yep, same here on the cam install. This dealer sells everything Polaris, not just Indian MCs. I hope an actual motorcycle mech shoves the cams in place and not the guy who specializes on the ATVs LOL. I'll be nervous for sure.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
It's never a bad idea to take pics of your scooter at the time of drop off ( and odo reading) and at the time of pick up.

Reactions: parider and WillyH

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
A
It's never a bad idea to take pics of your scooter at the time of drop off ( and odo reading) and at the time of pick up.
I Agree. One HD dealer I went to would have the service writer walk around the bike with you and he would note any damage on his paperwork. Thought this was a good policy...keeps both the dealer and customer honest.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, same here on the cam install. This dealer sells everything Polaris, not just Indian MCs. I hope an actual motorcycle mech shoves the cams in place and not the guy who specializes on the ATVs LOL. I'll be nervous for sure.
the local Indian dealer here is North American war horse. the sell everything. Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, mv Augusta, Suzuki, Yamaha, Indian. also the ate stuff. the guy who did mine is Indian/ Ducati guy. I had faith lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A

I Agree. One HD dealer I went to would have the service writer walk around the bike with you and he would note any damage on his paperwork. Thought this was a good policy...keeps both the dealer and customer honest.
that's a real good idea. I didn't think of it when I dropped it off. the chevy dealer I use does this. one for a very expensive toy its a great id3a. no issues after the fact. I will be more conscious after

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I l[ike all the ideas of taking pictures, didn't think of it ahead of time. I've never taken a bike for work... luckily where the dent is is on brand new parts. I also took a video of the new pipes at dealership for sound, and in the video you can see where its dinged clearly as soon as I got it. they have no room to really argue with me.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
I do all my work unless it is covered by warranty. When it was a warranty issue, my dealer takes photos of the bike, which I thought was great. I also do the same, so we are standing next to each other snapping away! I take a ton of photos when shipping bikes too.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Little rant.... I took the chieftain for stage 3 cam install. I would rather wrench myself but chose this route for warranty. Not buying cam tool. Lack of experience. Peace of mind. Since they were doing cams had them throw on pipes, thought they needed to come off. I was wrong. Told should be 2-3 hours. Due to wrong part sent from fuel moto they had to install mufflers 2 times. Charged me an extra 2 hours. So assuming shoulda been 180-270 got rocked 440.

Got bike back filthy dirty. Like it sat for months. Today washing it I discovered a nice size dent in the new muffler and never installed the other side right. The bags just flap in the breeze. I did take a quick spin. It runs like an animal, But I hate taking anything to a dealer and then this happens. Can’t wait til they open Tuesday to straighten in out. Hopefully that side goes smooth, they own up and take care of me. I have a picture from dealer and clearly
Dented prior to taking home. Rant over
I've had a similar issue more than once at a local dealer and I swore I would never take it back!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do all my work unless it is covered by warranty. When it was a warranty issue, my dealer takes photos of the bike, which I thought was great. I also do the same, so we are standing next to each other snapping away! I take a ton of photos when shipping bikes too.
going forward I am going this round. im surprised they don't do more to protect themself. coming to find they just deny everything. that's there trick. luckily I did take photos to show and video to post up on here and I got the dent w a time stamp on it they can't talk there way out of ha

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so I spent a good chunk of the day on the phone w them today. sending emails of pics and videos I had. the denied it completely for most of the day. they argued we didn't see it on pick up. but you can't argue its a brand new part... I have pictured and video of it before leaving your parking lot. its impossible its old damage. It was bazar they would try to deny it. I told them that anything but it being 100% isn't an option and had to talk to the manager of the whole place but they are taking care of it. ordering and eating the new parts and labor. I regret having them do anything but the cams... I don't know why I thought the pipes needed to come off for the cam work. first time dealer installing after market parts I can handle and last. atleast they are gonna make it right after tons of deflecting and bsing

1 - 20 of 31 Posts