Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Dealer charging $520 for Indian performance intake and $150 for install....does this sound right? I found the intake for $105 on Amazon. What the the difference between the Indian and Trask intake...which one is better?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Indian Scout OEM Performance intake should cost around $100 and take a dealer an hour to install.

Reactions: Qbanindian

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have to wonder if part of that $520 includes an after market tuner to go with it? The $150 for install could be right, I know my dealer charges close to that per hour.

·
Registered
264 Posts
$520 is the cost for the TS 111 Performance intake. I suspect that is the price they were quoting rather than for the Scout...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I
if they are trying to charge you this much for a scout intake. get a printed quote and send it to polaris. dealers that do try and gouge costumers should be shut down if they are really doing that.
totally agree and will do

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone,
Dealer charging $520 for Indian performance intake and $150 for install....does this sound right? I found the intake for $105 on Amazon. What the the difference between the Indian and Trask intake...which one is better?
I paid $500 installed at the dealer and tuned to the included chip (waited until I gutted the cat and changed the slip on's to V&H. Much improved and cooler! They say the chip can only be used once, not true, they used it again on my '17 Chieftain after transferring everything over from my '14.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I paid $500 installed at the dealer and tuned to the included chip (waited until I gutted the cat and changed the slip on's to V&H. Much improved and cooler! They say the chip can only be used once, not true, they used it again on my '17 Chieftain after transferring everything over from my '14.
I have a scout

·
Rider
669 Posts
I’m sure it is but for now I want to go with the Indian intake to stay under the warranty
That’s understandable but check with your dealer first. Every dealer operates differently and some are cool with aftermarket. I asked my dealer before purchasing my bobber if they would still cover me under warranty because I already knew I wanted exhaust, air breather, & tuner. I also told them I was prepared to try 1 of the other 3 dealers in the state if they were not koo with it. They guy told me they were ok and that they would warranty me as long as I was doing big bore or cams of something of that nature.
Another reason I see people purchase the Indian brand performance stuff is because they have “gift cards” front Indian.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To clarify, Indian sells their "Performance Air Intake" filter for $104.99 and it comes with a flash card. That flash card gives them two options for programming. Stage 1 or Stage 2.

I opened up my exhaust with J&P Slip'ons so they did Stage 1 for me. Programming your bike with the flash card is a separate cost and takes just a few minutes. My dealer was cool and only charged me 15 min of labor (probably because I'm a beer homebrewer and give my buddies that work there free beer all the time), but could have charged a standard full hour rate if they wanted.

What's really stupid is if you try to buy just the flash card itself it costs somethin like $125 and you still have to pay labor costs for the flash job, so if you had your own air-intake that you've already installed and only wanted a Stage 1 flashing (as opposed to actually tuning your bike) you can acquire a flash card more affordably by buying their performance air intake filter since it comes with the flash card...... and then just.... toss the filter I guess..... A pointless waste if you ask me. I don't know who decides product costs at Polaris, but whoever they are, they need to back off the energy drinks.

I believe the reason your cost was so high is because they're charging you for the filter, the labor to install the entire filter housing (which involves dissembling the side frames), and the seperate labor cost to flash (or tune your bike if that's what you're actually doing). Add taxes and there you go.

Honestly, installing a filter yourself is not that hard, you can find YouTube videos on it, and if you're using Indian's Performance Air Intake filter, you don't have to remove the entire filter housing because it's the same housing as the stock one, just remove the gas tank (ONLY the gas tank, leave everything else intact) and remove the 6 screws that hold the filter to its housing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update: I called the dealer again and spoke to someone else in the service department and was quoted $104.99 for the performance intake and $235 and change installed. Needless to say I setup an appointment for next Saturday to get it installed!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts