Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Omaha from St. Louis to visit dad and take in the CWS with the girlfriend. Got 5 miles east of St. Joe on Hwy 36 and the RM started losing volts and then it shut down. Took all day Friday to get it back. Big St. Charles says it looks like its covered under the warranty. Big bummer, the sun was going down and the ride was just getting better every mile. I was twisting it pretty hard in the heat (75 or better most of the way) but its only got 3600 miles on it, it should have been a walk in the park. Fortunately, the dealer called and the 5k and cams on the Vintage was done so I traded bikes today.

Can't wait to find out what this was.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
These modern bikes have a very high electrical load and still relatively small batteries. Once you see a dropping voltage don't try and ride it out as you won't go far. Best bet is take next exit and head for shelter like closest gas station and start calling roadside assistance or dealer if during bussines hours.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Similar thing happened to me. Luckily I made it home before the voltage became too low. It was the voltage regulator. Sad thing is, if you'd had a spare one with you it only takes 5 minutes to change out. But you can't prepare for everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sky Cloud Daytime Road Grass
Heading up to Omaha from St. Louis to visit dad and take in the CWS with the girlfriend. Got 5 miles east of St. Joe on Hwy 36 and the RM started losing volts and then it shut down. Took all day Friday to get it back. Big St. Charles says it looks like its covered under the warranty. Big bummer, the sun was going down and the ride was just getting better every mile. I was twisting it pretty hard in the heat (75 or better most of the way) but its only got 3600 miles on it, it should have been a walk in the park. Fortunately, the dealer called and the 5k and cams on the Vintage was done so I traded bikes today.

Can't wait to find out what this was.
My 2015 Vintage took the same dive this past Saturday and the Saturday before that before my dealership figured it out. Was terrible traffic and terrible scenario in Houston, TX. They finally figured out today that it was the voltage regulator. Initially they said the battery bolts were look.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,897 Posts
Wonder just how many more voltage regulators will crap out with this heat we now are under? My first thought would be checking the battery terminals but I guess that's just wasting time now. Great!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
My 2015 Chieftain is now a year and a half old, riding it every week, now over 26,000 miles and many many days at near 100 degrees or more.

No voltage regulator problems yet.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Reactions: Zeebo

·
Registered
717 Posts
My voltage regulator bought the farm two weeks ago and left me waiting on a tow. When it dies you ain't goin nowhere. Seems they may have had a bad lot of regulators. Mine is an early 15 RM, what other years have crapped out?

P.S. Here is how you know you are done:
Volts readout starts to drop precipitously 13, 12.2,11, 9.1, 8 (normal is right around 14.4)
Turning off radio and passing lamps yields no improvement in volts
Speedo goes completely dead
Engine starts to misfire
and then you're coasting.

All this in the course of about 4 miles. Once you lose your speedo I suggest you start looking for a safe place to pull over pronto.

Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
My voltage regulator bought the farm two weeks ago and left me waiting on a tow. When it dies you ain't goin nowhere. Seems they may have had a bad lot of regulators. Mine is a early 15 RM, what other years have crapped out?

P.S. Here is how you know you are done:
Volts readout starts to drop precipitously 13, 12.2,11, 9.1, 8.
Turning off radio and passing lamps yields no improvement in volts
Speedo goes completely dead
Engine starts to misfire
and then your coasting.

All this in the course of about 4 miles. Once you lose your speedo I suggest you start looking for a safe place to pull over pronto.

Replaced under warranty.
Thanks for the details, now know what issues to watch out for.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you ever have to jump start your bike with a car, do not leave car running, as this can damage your regulator...:cool::cool::cool:

·
Silver member
3,526 Posts
Had a guy on a Darkhorse tell me watch my volts, his regulator died on him. So far ok but any day anything can fail.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you ever have to jump start your bike with a car, do not leave car running, as this can damage your regulator...:cool::cool::cool:
Thanks for the info for future reference. For The record never jump started my bike so not a contributing factor in my case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts