Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got stranded on the hwy 12 hours from my home. My roadmaster just had the recall fixed for the gear shift pos sensor. Took a road trip over the holiday and on our way home, got an error code. (I couldn't read it on the interstate). Then the cruise control turned off but I was able to rev the bike back up to cruising speed. The speedo started turning off and on off and on. More error codes appeared and I think I saw one about low voltage. Just happen to be at an off ramp. Pulled into parking lot and attempted to cycle the bike off and on thinking maybe it would reset. After letting it set for 5 min, hit the power button the fuel pump came on but when I pushed the start switch I heard a pop that sounded like it came from the speakers and the motor didnt even roll over. Hopefully the dealer can get this diagnosed and rectified in the morning. My riding buddies continued back home and I am stuck in a city I have never been in. I called the indian support number and they pretty much said I would just have to wait until the morning. Offering zero other optional support regarding towing or any other support. We will see how things go tomorrow. Not a good day today

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Sounds like either the battery cabled vibrated loose, or your regulator went out.

Reactions: Jw roadmaster

·
Rider
1,138 Posts
That's crappy. How far away from an Indian dealer are you. And what city you in.

Might get some help with it from somebody on this board.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This might be useful if you end up in a scrape again. Russ Brown Motorcycle Attorneys have a rider-volunteer network to help with that kind of thing.
I've never needed to use them. I do see them every year at the motorcycle show.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Albuquerque new mexico. Home based in Houston texas. Broke down in Moriarty about 45 min east from Albuquerque. Lucky for me the guy that cleans the shop was just going in for the evening when we were about to drop the bike off to leave it at the front door. He called the owners and they let us leave it in the back behind a locked gate. Was grateful for that. Super nice guy!
Also we tore the bike down to the battery before we got towed to make sure it wasn't something simple like a loose connection.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like the battery went bad. I experienced the same pop thru the speakers and then dead battery. The battery was almost 5 years old but the day before it was fine showing normal 14.6 v the day before. Replaced with a new Delco and no problem since.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully that is the only issue. I was concerned that day we started in ridgeway colorado and the temp was 32 deg f in the morning. She didnt like it. Then we took the million dollar hwy south and very glad she didnt lay down on me up there on the side of a snow covered mountain without guardrails. Dealership is supposed to open here in a bout an hour. Maybe we will get some good news. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Indian of Albuquerque seems like a good shop. Stopped in & asked them to check my oil level before heading home to Florida. They checked the oil, the air & adjusted the too tight belt....no charge.
Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Indian Motorcycle of Albuquerque are awesome.
I ride 4hrs to their dealership for service even though there is a dealer closer to me because they are friendly, fair and do a great job.
They will take good care of you.

Let us know what it turns out to be. Sounds like a bad battery.

Sucks to break down on the road.
Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well turns out it was the battery. They called a few min ago and said that it had a dead cell. Everything appears to be working just fine. Replaced under warranty. They said they would even wash it for me. Great guys

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well turns out it was the battery. They called a few min ago and said that it had a dead cell. Everything appears to be working just fine. Replaced under warranty. They said they would even wash it for me. Great guys
Great news. Glad it's an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Hey, by any chance, are you the Indian that we saw in Moab? With a two tone green Indian? We were on a RM and our friends were on a Harley CVO.

Sorry to hear of your problem and glad it was minor.

·
Founding member
1,005 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem, Red, but glad it happened near a good dealer. Albuquerque is my home town and I know Moriarty well. Indian of Albuquerque, as you found out, is a good dealer. Be safe on the ride back. I usually ride down through Socorro, through Lincoln to Roswell, Artesia, Pecos and down to Fort Stockton before heading east to home. Which route are you taking?

P.S.: I had a battery cell go out several years ago on a ride to Little Rock. Fortunately, I only had 60 miles or so to go when it started acting up and I got in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My RM is burgandy with tan leather. I was riding with two HD buddies. Funny because my indian gets all the attention. Always stranger coming up asking questions and admiring her. We didnt make it to moab. We got out bun burner in friday from houston tx to tucson az. Started at 5am and arrived in tucson after 11. We never took more than 10 min at any fueling station. It was alot harder than we thought it would be. The next day we drove thru the largest open excavation put and onto the coronado trail north. We settled in for a campout at lake lyman state park. In the morning we headed to four corners (it was closed) and on up to cortez colorado then ridgeway. Where we stayed the night. The next morning we headed home down the million dollar hwy. Ouray-Silverton-Durango. (Amazing). Went straight to Madrid (home of wild hogs, the movie set) and when I got on 40 heading east that's when my battery gave out. Called indian on monday and they pretty much had no source of help. Luckily for me a fellow harley rider stopped by while we were tearing the bike apart to check the battery and offered to trailer the bike to his place and let us crash there. He said his name was "doubty". I told my h buddies to continue and I would catch up. Albuquerque indian got the battery replaced and convinced me that was all it was. I was quite irritated with indian customer support and think they really shouldn't be called that. As I was leaving a guy who seemed like he was in his 70s caught up to me as I was heading out of town and gave me the thumbs up and he tore off doing between 85 and 90 leveing me behind. I made it down to Abilene this evening around 9pm and will finish the ride home tomorrow. One heck of a ride! Clearly a bucket list box checked for me. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I hope this helps someone else in the future.
Ride safe brothers!

Reactions: Larz_1

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction we completed the saddle sore 1000 in 24hrs. We attempted to follow up with the bun burner 1500 in 36hrs but were slowed to much by the coronado trail and fell short about 200 miles. We have all the receipts and pictures as well as the google mapping with mileage but havent filled out the paperwork yet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks RedChieftain, next time we will try your route. My nephew want able to get his this time due to a prior commitment so we will be planning to do it again soon. Hopefully this time we will get our saddle sore as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts