Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wired thing happened today, went out to start the bike and the battery was dead, been 4 years in this batter so just went and picked up and new one. I installed that battery and fired her up, she ran fine so I figured I'd take a lap around the neighborhood going up the hill I shifted into 3rd and then the check engine light came on and the throttle was dead absolutely no response at all, was able to coast her to my garage and double checked the oil and gas both fine. Started her back up and idle can't get above 800. Turned her off and restarted her and she was up around 1500, still no throttle response then dropped back down to 800 rpms, thinking a need a new throttle body any thought. Thanks

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
It sounds like the computer is keeping the RPM's for some safety reason. The bike thinks something is wrong. It could be the throttle body is bad but not likely. However, if the cable to the butterfly valve is loose or disconnected it will do this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the computer is keeping the RPM's for some safety reason. The bike thinks something is wrong. It could be the throttle body is bad but not likely. However, if the cable to the butterfly valve is loose or disconnected it will do this.

Ok thanks I'll take a look at that, it was just wired that it happened so abruptly while ridding

·
Bronze member
4,681 Posts
It sounds like the bike has gone into limp mode. There might have been a sensor that was too sensitive for a moment or perhaps the battery terminals were not tightened properly.

Limp mode is cleared by starting and stopping the motor four or five time, ignition on and off each time.

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Wow,.....changing a battery could make a bike run like shit.
Why would you suspect gas and oil to cause the motor to quit like that?

Problems with fuel or oil would tend to give audible mechanical warning.

Is it still under warranty? Is the dealer nearby? Do you read engine codes?

Wow.....good luck!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have dealer carry out diagnostic using digital wrench to find out why engine management light is on

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Hey guys wired thing happened today, went out to start the bike and the battery was dead, been 4 years in this batter so just went and picked up and new one. I installed that battery and fired her up, she ran fine so I figured I'd take a lap around the neighborhood going up the hill I shifted into 3rd and then the check engine light came on and the throttle was dead absolutely no response at all, was able to coast her to my garage and double checked the oil and gas both fine. Started her back up and idle can't get above 800. Turned her off and restarted her and she was up around 1500, still no throttle response then dropped back down to 800 rpms, thinking a need a new throttle body any thought. Thanks
SO, give us an update bmac.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts