1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
Bike: 2015 Chieftain
4,800 miles
Extras worth noting: Added heated grips, seat, trunk, Garmin GPS (none of which work when the bike is turned off).
Keyfob: Kept in the house away from the bike

I've been off the bike for 5 months recovering from reconstructive foot/ankle surgery. Before surgery I gave him a good bath and polish, plugged the battery into the tender and covered him up for a long nap. Part way through recovery my husband took it out for a spin and parked it back in the garage. This time, no tender. A few weeks later, I went out to start it and it was dead. No life at all. No power, no click, no nada. I plugged it into the tender and was able to breathe some life into the battery. Bike started eventually but the dashboard was dark. I twisted the throttle, revved the engine and the dashboard came to life. Until I let go. Back to black. When the dashboard display was on it was reading 10.4 (can't remember volts or amps). After 24 hours the light went from flashing red, to flashing red and solid green then back to flashing red.

The battery has also gone dead on me twice after sitting in the garage for 3 weeks.

I took it up to the dealer to have the warranty issues corrected (ECU reflash for exhaust and rear master cylinder rebuild) and also to have the electronics tested for any unnecessary power drain. They said the battery connectors were slightly loose but not enough to cause loss of power. It sat in their shop for 11 days and not one ounce of battery drain. No issues found with the charging system and the battery tests within normal limits.

I live in California, bike is garaged at all times. No extreme cold or heat.

Has anybody else experienced this with their bike? Do I need to keep it plugged into the tender? My old bike (Honda VTX 1300) could sit for months and it would fire right up.

Thanks all for your input!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had some issues with my 2014 Chieftain, sat it in my garage for nearly 3wks when I was in the USA and came back to a dead battery! The tracker was replaced under warranty (apparently it was drawing power!) and I fitted a tender with no problems since. I only put the tender on in the Scottish winter but other than that everything is ok. I'm sure I read on here that some batteries were replaced under warranty! Hope this helps.

·
Rider
503 Posts
When I picked up my bike from dealer when new, they strongly suggested I use a battery tender whenever I park overnight or longer. I'd also suspect the loose battery connection had a bigger effect than they led you to believe. The battery seems to be a little puny for these bad boys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Defective battery. I was on a ride and it left me stranded!! Dealer said it was a dead short. I'm still not convinced and think there's an issue with the charging system on the bike. They replaced the battery. Gonna keep a close eye on it!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts