Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I have read through all the posts and have tried a few suggestions to no avail. Some background: I bought the bike, previous owner mentioned the battery died fast but kept it on a tender and started fine. I have kept it on a tender since I bought it but only rode twice since Feb because the previous owner removed the indian emblems and spray painted the word 'Indian' on it so I decided to get it sand blasted and powder coated.

I removed the headers and pipes because I was going to go in a different direction but decided to stay with what it came with till I decided what was best so those went back on.

I just got the tank and fenders back, threw everything back on and added 1/2 tank of fuel. Primed it like they instructed and the video tells the rest. Im hoping its a bad battery...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Dead battery, most likely. These things appear to have a 2-3 yr shelf life even if they are not defective, and the tender doesn't do anything to prolong that. Take it to the nearest auto store and they can validate that.

·
Bronze member
1,436 Posts
AGM Mc batteries with a residual voltage (after sitting min 2hrs after driving, or charging) of 12.4v means it will probably crap out within the next couple /three months, maybe sooner if hot weather. 12.7 v is good , higher is better. Of course a load tester can determine the condition easily, most don’t own one because they are pricy. Regular lead acid batteries have different specs. Visit Yuasa battery site. Good info. IMO.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I'm impressed that the guy you bought it from mentioned the battery issue. Honest guy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
AGM Mc batteries with a residual voltage (after sitting min 2hrs after driving, or charging) of 12.4v means it will probably crap out within the next couple /three months, maybe sooner if hot weather. 12.7 v is good , higher is better. Of course a load tester can determine the condition easily, most don’t own one because they are pricy. Regular lead acid batteries have different specs. Visit Yuasa battery site. Good info. IMO.
You can get a load tester fairly cheap from Harbor Frt. The yuasa site has info and imo the best batteries.If I ever have a questionable battery that is 2 yrs old I buy a new one. Cheap peace of mind.I ride where there are no cell signals most of the time.I think only the US has this.I see people in the news from all over the planet and they seem to always have a signal.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Greetings, I have read through all the posts and have tried a few suggestions to no avail. Some background: I bought the bike, previous owner mentioned the battery died fast but kept it on a tender and started fine. I have kept it on a tender since I bought it but only rode twice since Feb because the previous owner removed the indian emblems and spray painted the word 'Indian' on it so I decided to get it sand blasted and powder coated.

I removed the headers and pipes because I was going to go in a different direction but decided to stay with what it came with till I decided what was best so those went back on.

I just got the tank and fenders back, threw everything back on and added 1/2 tank of fuel. Primed it like they instructed and the video tells the rest. Im hoping its a bad battery...

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/battery-replacement-for-scout.210904/page-5
post#65 - the battery in pic is the most kick ass battery you can get for the scout.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Scout? Service advisory. Indian will replace for free the starter and battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-up: It most definatly was the battery. Fires up just fine and have gone on a few rides since. I thought it was weird how everything seemed fine, amazing what some fresh juice can provide. Thank you all for the suggestions.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,058 Posts
Have the starter checked as well. A fresh new battery will work fine if the starter is going out, but if it drains a little, it could prevent starting.

There's a cut off amps number that the dealer can check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts