Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am owning an FTR since early July and my battery has been dead 2 times during that time. In total I have ridden over 3000km (on average every other day). I have no additonal accessories installed so I am very supprised that today is second morning this month when my bike won`t start. Already after first time I went to dealers and they said battery is fine. How can they know that? ( I just had fully recharged it to being able to ride to the service).
Second issue, and gets me very very worried is that when I klick the start button, fuel pumps/engine starting sound lasts 3-5 times before motor starts finally running. Has been so from day one and in few cases have not started at all with the 1st attempt. I have had other motorcycles and I can`t see this as a normal behaviour although it is the biggest engine motorcycle for me so far. Should I raise an complaint or is this normal for this bike?
It is a very frustrating feeling- walking towards your motorcycle and holding your breath will it start today or not. And this feeling has been with me from the first week so I am a disappointed customer, sad to say :( Not so much for the bad purchase choise but a frustration that I can`t enjoy the bike as much as I would like to.
Thirdly, it has stalled 2 times in live traffic, when I have been on a second gear and slowing down, clutch pulled in..

·
Bronze member
2,253 Posts
Go back to your dealer. Get the fuse recall done and a new battery.

The ftrs were sitting for a long time on dealer floors without battery tenders hooked up. Several people have had their batteries replaced already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thirdly, it has stalled 2 times in live traffic, when I have been on a second gear and slowing down, clutch pulled in..
Imagine it happened during cornering and no time to pull the clutch .... that's what happened to me. Tell you dealer to read the forums and realize that many FTR's came with bad batteries. It should be replaced. And if the battery is really fine there might be an issue with the alternator/regulator.

Regarding the fuse recall that Ferraiolo1 mentioned: Check your VIN here to see if the recall has been done:VIN Search | Indian Motorcycle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Genry, I had a similiar issue yesterday.....I have had all recalls done and battery kept on a tender. I just completed a pv3 fuel moto tune and was out for a test run. The bike was amazingly smooth and strong until I came to a lineup of traffic waiting for the train and as I coasted in at idle the bike quit. It struggled 3 or 4 times to start and felt like the battery was giving up when it sprung back to life. I was nervous to let the rpm drop below 1500 after that as I felt it might stall and strand me. I have an email in to fuel moto but I think my battery might be toast. Makes more sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! There are no recalls for my VIN number. I guess I`ll try to see if service gives me new battery and how much that helps. PS, what are the symptoms if I have fuse issues? Maybe I can explain it to local dealer and they check it anyway, without recall note. I also susbect stator issues - not charging while riding.
PS, starting tune is done (don`t know which mode), but now RPM-s are kept around 1600 instead 1250 and hasn`t stalled but issue is that cranking power coming from battery is so weak that it almost don`t want to start at all. Once running, it stalls very rarely, but even with the update done it still stalls from time to time after cold start.

·
Bronze member
2,237 Posts
Battery tender for sure. Try getting a different tune- Fuel Moto

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In FTR battery "box" there isnt any room to install battery tender cables to keep it on the tender while not rinding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts