Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
German Rider
1,504 Posts
Correct. Heard nothing about cancelling from my friend, host, hotel manager in orange city, too.

Cu,
Sven

·
German Rider
1,504 Posts
Heard nothing about cancelling from my friend, host, hotel manager in orange city.
So, if the border will be re-opened and we are allowed to enter the USA and fly from germany via Heathrow,GB to Miami,Fl. we will be there.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Cmiller

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
564 Posts
I hate it. I understand it though and the City Fathers should be applauded for putting safety above $$$$.

·
Rider
1,218 Posts
Heard nothing about cancelling from my friend, host, hotel manager in orange city.
So, if the border will be re-opened and we are allowed to enter the USA and fly from germany via Heathrow,GB to Miami,Fl. we will be there.

Cu,
Sven

I looked at three websites and there is no mention of Bike Week being canceled.

officialbikeweek.com

daytonabeach.com

eventful.com

At least, for the time being, they don't seem to be over-reacting.

BD

·
Bronze member
1,887 Posts
Well this seems like promoters aren't communicating with each other.
Or maybe they are hedging their bets.
I'd still like to go, but until I get a "YES" from a full hook up RV campground, I will be skeptical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We (wife and I) have been going to Daytona since 1988,....our end of winter celebration and early vacation.
But as of 1/6/21 we were informed by Jam On Promotions that they are canceling all camping reservations due to the State and Volusia county not allowing the Rally to happen.
I believe in taking precautions but, this may be just going a bit too far.
So we are now planning on going down to the Keys.
Anyone else planning on riding and camping in the Keys.

We welcome any suggestions for a good full hook up RV campground. In the previous years we've spent up to $550 per week to camp at the county fairgrounds, but there was good security and concerts, swap meets, bike shows, farmers markets and other activities within the county fairgrounds to campers like us.

We always met with old friends from the entire country at the county fairgrounds and at Cabbage Patch saloon and the city of DeLand kickoff event. Hoping that the new destination will offer similar familiarities.
It better be on with a 99.8% survival rate!

·
Bronze member
1,887 Posts
Well this seems like promoters aren't communicating with each other.
Or maybe they are hedging their bets.
I'd still like to go, but until I get a "YES" from a full hook up RV campground, I will be skeptical.
Well after a few responses on this forum, I did a bit of investigation and yes it is still scheduled to happen.
And I have also booked an ideal campsite for even less than what we have paid in previous years. OH HAPPY DAY!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We (wife and I) have been going to Daytona since 1988,....our end of winter celebration and early vacation.
But as of 1/6/21 we were informed by Jam On Promotions that they are canceling all camping reservations due to the State and Volusia county not allowing the Rally to happen.
I believe in taking precautions but, this may be just going a bit too far.
So we are now planning on going down to the Keys.
Anyone else planning on riding and camping in the Keys.

We welcome any suggestions for a good full hook up RV campground. In the previous years we've spent up to $550 per week to camp at the county fairgrounds, but there was good security and concerts, swap meets, bike shows, farmers markets and other activities within the county fairgrounds to campers like us.

We always met with old friends from the entire country at the county fairgrounds and at Cabbage Patch saloon and the city of DeLand kickoff event. Hoping that the new destination will offer similar familiarities.
If you are retired military, the navy has a nice campground in the keys

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I also could find no evidence the rally has been cancelled.
I certainly hope we can get back to normal.

I have already had the dreaded disease. I'd like to enjoy my motorcycle now, thankyou.

If you fellows find out anything concrete, please post it!

Thanks.

·
Bronze member
1,887 Posts
We already have a campground reservation and the Bike Week website confirms that it is a "GO".
We used to stay at the Volusia County Fairgrounds and they ran the campgrounds there. However Jam-On Productions that runs the swap meets and campgrounds stated that as of Jan. 6th 2021 that there was no Bike Week 2021.
Obviously they are greatly mistaken,

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,206 Posts
So maybe you should change the title of the thread

* Done! / Hink

Reactions: HINK

·
German Rider
1,504 Posts
@MOMZ :

So, where will you stay then ?

If we can enter the USA, we will stay the whole 10 days in orange city, that would have been only on or two exits in direction orlando from the volusia fairgrounds.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
1,887 Posts
We made reservations at the Sun RV resort in Orange City. We've been there a few years ago for Bike Week and Biketoberfest also.

·
German Rider
1,504 Posts
We made reservations at the Sun RV resort in Orange City. We've been there a few years ago for Bike Week and Biketoberfest also.
So you are one exit near direction Daytona. We will stay at the holiday inn exit 111 at Saxon Blvd. , so maybe, if, it could be possible, that we meet us....

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is known for a couple of years that the city of Daytona is trying to get more constant business to downtown than just a couple of weeks twice a year. Bikers are not really welcome anymore. Just look what happens on Beach street.
Flagler and further north is welcoming bikers that are not welcome in Volusia county anymore with open arms and soak up their business.
Try to find accommodations up there....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the place for this but here goes...

Decades ago (mid 70s) I lived in Tampa. I worked downtown on Kennedy close to the college. I decided one weekend that I would take a ride on my 650 Yamaha Special II. I had a lady friend that was going to ride her scoot too - for some reason I seem to remember that she rode a Honda 450 but I can't be 100% on that. We left Tampa on a Saturday morning hoping to get to Daytona for some peace, quiet and 'fun'.

The ride was uneventful. As we got close to the Atlantic we started noticing more and more motorcycles on the road. By the time we got to Daytona there were thousands of bikes everywhere. There were signs everywhere welcoming bikers. We had accidentally stumbled into bike week! It was awesome! We headed to the beach and rode up and down on the sand and then went back towards town. Parking was difficult but we settled down very close to the Boot Hill Saloon - across from the cemetery. In we went. It was packed. In the street, bikes were parked like blades of grass. Center of the street! It was an awesome sight. We drank many adult beverages, listened to music and talked with bikers from all over the US. After a bit, we noticed a commotion at the cemetery. There were a bunch of people trying to throw a Honda over the fence into the graveyard. Of course we had to get closer to check it out...

In the front of that pack were 5 or six guys struggling to push it over the fence. We asked what was going on and were told that they were thrown a 'foreign made' bike where it belongs (that wasn't the term they used but we are in different times now, so I 'corrected' the term). As we got closer and asked more people we found that the owner was one of the five or so in the front actively trying to toss that bike over the fence. It seems that he had been taking enough crap from his buddies and other riders there over him being on a 'rice burner' that he wanted the bike gone. I am SURE that alcohol was involved. I don't remember if they succeeded but they were hard at it and were full of 'the spirit' - or spirits. I have a feeling they succeeded. ;-)

It a memory that is imprinted on my brain. It was totally awesome to see.

One more thing I vaguely remember is that there was a pizza place close to the Boot Hill. They made the BEST calzones. I'm pretty sure they are gone now but this sticks out...

The owner's other half had a nicely customized bike chained to a meter in front of the place. It had the most unusual chain securing it. It articulated like a snake. It was about an inch thick (too wide for bolt cutters). Quite substantial. I have not been able to find one like that. I'm still looking. I think it would deter all but the most determined of thieves.

As far as where we stayed that weekend. Daytona was full up of course but up the road is a place called Ormond by the Sea. We were lucky to find a room there but IIRC it was right across the road from the beach. Fantastic view.

I know tl;dr, here is the Cliff Notes...

Years ago I had a blast in Daytona. Met some people, saw some nice bikes. Got entertained, ate some delicious food and saw a bike chain that impressed me.

;-)

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
564 Posts
In the 70's and 80's we would just unroll a sleeping bag at Volusia County Fairgrounds. Not sure I could do that anymore!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts