Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
* Note from Hink: merged two identical threads here / second is by @MOMZ. Oldest thread wins and becomes host thread. I also changed the title to reflect the input.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone know if Daytona Bike Week will for sure take place this year? And if so, will it be the usual full blown event with all the vendors, dealer test rides, etc? I've looked at the event website, but noticed that the listed vendors appear to be only brick and mortar stores that are there year round. I found no mention of Covid.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone know if Daytona Bike Week will for sure take place this year? And if so, will it be the usual full blown event with all the vendors, dealer test rides, etc? I've looked at the event website, but noticed that the listed vendors appear to be only brick and mortar stores that are there year round. I found no mention of Covid.
At this point, who knows. If bike week is on, it will need to be finalized quickly because vendors cannot just pick up in a months notice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spoke with a Daytona local last night she says it’s to be same business as usual. They’re not even wearing masks down there.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
921 Posts
At biker events and gatherings down here in Florida, hardly anyone wears masks. Like it or not we live in The FREE state of Florida.

·
Bronze member
2,569 Posts
No one knows...Bike week permits are issued by the local govt authority where the event site is located. Since Bike Week covers different municipalities and a county, each makes its own determination. For example, you could have a situation where the city of Daytona doesn’t issue permits, but the county does.

·
German Rider
1,512 Posts
The only thing that could hold me back from coming, is if the government leave the border closed for people from europe/germany. Flights are booked, hotel reservation done, etc. So OPEN THAT DAMNED BORDER !

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
1,261 Posts
I was thinking that other events have shifted slightly the schedule perhaps the fine folks in Daytona would consider moving the event to May so as too allow the numbers to lessen and shots take effect? I know the complaints will be ambient heat but it’s only May. Another bonus is the good looking northerners can ride down instead of trailering. 😜

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,207 Posts

·
Rider
721 Posts
At biker events and gatherings down here in Florida, hardly anyone wears masks. Like it or not we live in The FREE state of Florida.
Just returned from Estero. Almost everyone was wearing masks inside businesses but few outside. Ironically, noone was wearing a mask in the Indian/Honda dealerships I stopped at. Other than the local Best Buy, which was restricting the number of entries, everything else was open for business as usual. Traffic was heavy and people everywhere jogging, walking, riding bikes and living life. Coming from NY, I felt like I was in a different world! I need to get out of this Gdamn state...

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
921 Posts
Bambam, you were about 80 miles south of me. Looks like you went to Stu's Indian, a great dealership with some good people. The FREE state of Florida

·
Rider
721 Posts
Bambam, you were about 80 miles south of me. Looks like you went to Stu's Indian, a great dealership with some good people. The FREE state of Florida
LOL! I had to google it because I had no idea where I was. Yep, it was Stu's. I was driving by and saw all the bikes outside so I stopped. The people were great and extremely friendly. I would of taken a Challenger for a test ride but traffic was heavy (which I'm not used to) and again, I had no idea where I was :)
The weather was great but of course, as soon as I got home, I had to snow blow my driveway :mad:
Cripe, I took a direct flight from Fort Myers to Syracuse on Frontier for $28. I don't know how these airlines are staying in business.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm in Daytona and face diapers aren't mandated but people are still wearing them. I see people wearing them on the beach...ON THE FREAKIN' BEACH!!! That said, restaurants are open and it's pretty much business as usual. Bike week in Daytona Beach proper may not have street vendors but all the Main Street biker bars will be busy as usual (Dirty Harry's, Main Street Station, Boot Hill Saloon, etc). Ormond Beach rolls out the red carpet for bikers and there's aways a party at Iron Horse and other biker hangouts along Rt 1. Bike week is never cancelled and bikers are coming into town from everywhere imaginable. Hotels, camping spots, and Air B&B's are filling fast from what I hear.

This morning

·
Bronze member
1,893 Posts
We (wife and I) have been going to Daytona since 1988,....our end of winter celebration and early vacation.
But as of 1/6/21 we were informed by Jam On Promotions that they are canceling all camping reservations due to the State and Volusia county not allowing the Rally to happen.
I believe in taking precautions but, this may be just going a bit too far.
So we are now planning on going down to the Keys.
Anyone else planning on riding and camping in the Keys.

We welcome any suggestions for a good full hook up RV campground. In the previous years we've spent up to $550 per week to camp at the county fairgrounds, but there was good security and concerts, swap meets, bike shows, farmers markets and other activities within the county fairgrounds to campers like us.

We always met with old friends from the entire country at the county fairgrounds and at Cabbage Patch saloon and the city of DeLand kickoff event. Hoping that the new destination will offer similar familiarities.

·
Bronze member
1,893 Posts
We got a notice on 1/6/21 that there will be no Bike Week in nearly 80 years.
We need to get away and Bike Week was our way of coping with the dark, cold and depressing winters here in the Rust Belt.

Anyone from the frozen north planning to go to the Keys instead?
We value your suggestions for full hook up RV campgrounds in the Keys and places to go when we get there.

Thank you in advance for all of your input.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is bad news. I just posted a thread a few days ago asking if it was on. My 2 brothers and I have been making this trip for many years. We already decided we're going anyway. Won't be the same, but a motorcycle trip nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just did a quick look at the official website and there is no mention (that I found) of the event being cancelled. Maybe it just has not been updated after a recent decision.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,827 Posts
I can only hope that Ohio Bike Week can make a comeback this year. It's in Sandusky Ohio usually from Memorial Day weekend till the first weekend of June. The last two or three had Indian demo rides.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts