Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious when my 2019 DH was built. Is there a date of manf. stamped anywhere on our bikes?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Your VIN has most of that information imbedded, I'm not certain how specific the coding is... but if you simply do a VIN search on https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/vin-search/, they will show you all the details regarding original specs, manufacture date, warranty date and any recalls.

EDIT: They only show date of purchase on that link. Dealers should have access to much more information than that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I don't see a manf. date on that site.

·
Rider
519 Posts
It used to be the 10th character in a 17 character VIN indicated the manufacture date. I’m not sure if that still holds true anymore but used to be the case back in the mid-80’s.

·
Rider
519 Posts
A little convoluted but perhaps this will help:

Find the corresponding year. The tenth digit started with B, which represents 1981. The letters follow consecutively for each year thereafter, down to Y, which represents 2000. The letters I, O, Q, U and Z are not used, so those should be skipped in the order. Beginning with 2001, numbers are used to represent the years, so 1 is for 2001, 2 is for 2002, etc. Starting with 2010, the tenth digit becomes a letter again, starting with A.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Thanks, but I don't see a manf. date on that site.
After you put in your VIN?
You may have to request the "birth" manufacture date from Polaris. They certainly have production records that record the serial number sequences.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,377 Posts
I believe it's located on the EPA stickers. I don't know where they are on Indians but Harleys are on the down tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I believe it's located on the EPA stickers. I don't know where they are on Indians but Harleys are on the down tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey! Thanks for that reminder! Out of sight and out of mind they say! Left Hand main frame neck has a data sticker, and also left hand down tube. I don't remember the exact data contained on those.

·
Bronze Member
1,653 Posts
Unfortunately, this will not help you now, but when the bike was purchased new there was a MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) that was issued by the factory. The information on the MSO includes the manufacturers name, VIN#, engine info, vehicle weight, invoice# and date. Think of this as the birth certificate for your vehicle.

The dealer signs the MSO and then it is sent to the DMV so that a title can be issued. I usually ask the dealer if I can see the MSO so that I can make a mental note of the date.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts