Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this question asked but never answered. can someone verify whether or not installing the dashbag on the Vintage increases buffeting? I installed my dashbag right away after getting my bike home. I seem to remember the ride home from the dealer to be a lot less turbulent than it is now. I wonder if the dashbag blocking the air above the headlight is making that big a difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My theory was that the large gap between the headlight and the bottom of the windshield helped equalize the negative pressure created behind the windshield.

As far as taking it off, I also have the power adapter plug added and inside it. I remember getting that thing installed was not an easy job and I didn't want to spend a couple of hours doing it if it wasn't the problem.

The turbulence I am getting is not horrible, it just seems worse than when I first got it. It could just be my imagination.

·
Silver member
5,410 Posts
My theory was that the large gap between the headlight and the bottom of the windshield helped equalize the negative pressure created behind the windshield.

As far as taking it off, I also have the power adapter plug added and inside it. I remember getting that thing installed was not an easy job and I didn't want to spend a couple of hours doing it if it wasn't the problem.

The turbulence I am getting is not horrible, it just seems worse than when I first got it. It could just be my imagination.
I bought my preloved '15 Vintage late last summer. It had the stock windshield on it (still does). There was allot of turbulence, most notably when on the slab at highway speeds. I took the windshield bag off to see if that would help and there was no noticeable difference in the turbulence. I notice way more turbulence with my Vintage than with my '12 Road King. The King is the Police model (FLHP) so it has a tall shield, about the same height as the Vintage. But the Vintage windshield is a few inches wider. The Road King seems to slice thru the wind where the Vintage seems to push thru the wind. The wider windshield might be part of the problem, and or maybe the valanced front fender catches some air and contributes to the turbulence. I just don't know, but it is annoying as hell.

Before the usual claimed sure cure is mentioned, I've installed ***** brand lower fork mounted wind deflectors, they seem to help some, but not much better.

·
Rider
448 Posts
I have the wind deflectors from JES Custom Accents and they took care of all the buffeting. It is very pleasant to ride now I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Wallwart

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run soft leather lowers on my bike. Also have the dash bag. There is a small amount of buffeting on this bike but nothing I find offensive. Flip windshield at proper height works great. The small amount that comes up from below the tank isnt bad. Honestly love riding this bike with shield off and taking the wind head on.

·
Rider
551 Posts
Your first ride home you took it easy because it was a brand new, strange bike. As you got used to the bike you increased your aggressiveness with an increase in buffeting!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Had buffeting on my '15 Vintage with the stock windscreen - but only sometimes, on the highway into a slight wind. I have the handlebar bag and fork bag.

Switched to a 7JuRock Recurve which is also a little shorter. Buffeting went completely away. I think the aerodynamics of the new windscreen made the difference, but then maybe also because I rarely ride interstates anymore.

One note - check your helmet and its visor. A large visor on a helmet surely causes buffeting that is often misdiagnosed as a fault on the bike. Wearing the helmet too far back on the head can also cause buffeting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the JES Custom Accent lowers and the difference is night and day. Amazing how much less turbulence I have behind the windshield. In fact, last time I forgot to button my vest it flopped in the wind behind me. Yesterday I forgot to button my vest and didn't even notice. It stayed chill. Unless I'm behind a big rig, I don't have any turbulence. A much smoother ride now. Now I just need a softer cushion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts