Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I take my bike apart get it cleaned up for Daytona bike week and put everything back together and now the dash turns on and music starts playing automatically like every four minutes over and over with or with out the key fob. The only way I can make it stop is disconnect the battery, then I hook it up again and it stays off till I turn the bike on , then it starts all over. any help would be appreciated thank you.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
You've got water into a connection somewhere. My first guess is the regulator/rectifier as the plugs are out in the flow of things. There are two plugs. Pull them both apart and clear out any water with WD40. Let it dry and assemble and see if the problem continues.

After this, I'd start looking at what might have got wet up in the fairing.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Further thoughts.
If you turn the bike on and run the motor, does the dash show any lights coming on, or show any unexpected fails such as blinkers not working, can't scroll through the screen menu, etc.? I've had something like this is the past and it turned out to be water getting into a connection and pulling down the voltage just enough to set off a crisis for the Canbus system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I turn the engine on everything is normal no new lights I did have to change the fob battery but that’s it. Motorcycle hasn’t been outside for months and stays in a heated garage but I will try the regulator plug first.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further thoughts.
If you turn the bike on and run the motor, does the dash show any lights coming on, or show any unexpected fails such as blinkers not working, can't scroll through the screen menu, etc.? I've had something like this is the past and it turned out to be water getting into a connection and pulling down the voltage just enough to set off a crisis for the Canbus system.
Dr. Shifty you were right on the money. I started unplugging everything that I removed last week and sure enough it was the right side handlebar connection. Hairdryer for about 3 minutes, reconnected everything no problems. I had this similar problem with my victory last year I’m starting to think I need a dehumidifier in my garage.Thank you

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. The Canbus system on new bikes is very touchy. A bit of dampness would never had worried a non-Canbus bike in the past but the slightest voltage leak these days and the computer becomes a drama queen.

It's a good discipline to get into that whenever we pull apart a connector we give it a spray of WD40 before it goes back together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. The Canbus system on new bikes is very touchy. A bit of dampness would never had worried a non-Canbus bike in the past but the slightest voltage leak these days and the computer becomes a drama queen.

It's a good discipline to get into that whenever we pull apart a connector we give it a spray of WD40 before it goes back together.
Are you saying wd40 removes moisture?

·
Bronze member
1,161 Posts
Are you saying wd40 removes moisture?
does not remove, it "displaces"
Makes water bead out, give a shake of the plug after a little spray.

To prevent water getting in, a small small amount of good silicone grease on the plug gasket, and maybe some on the electrical pins

might help?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
WD = Water Displacing
Water Displacing Formula, #40. You can also use isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle, which dries faster than WD-40. For the most part, the connectors used for the wiring harness are mostly waterproof when they are connected. It's when we start tinkering and disconnecting stuff that moisture and debris start finding their way into the connectors.

Reactions: Demolition Man
1 - 12 of 12 Posts