Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode about 100 miles yesterday, the longest ride since getting the Chieftain ('14) on New Year's Eve. I was almost home when the dash panel display started flickering on and off, then went entirely blank. No display at all. Then a brief glimpse of info followed by more blankness and occasional flickering. Shade or direct sunlight made no difference. After about 20 minutes of this, the display seemed to return to normal function. Any thoughts? I can't have this happening on a real trip.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've heard of that happening in extreme heat, but not when it was cold out. No telling with these bikes, the one plus is that normally, turning the bike off and then back on sorts out the problem. Hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just explained the problem to the service guy at Big #1 Motorsports. He told me there's a "computer upgrade" for this problem and I can bring the Chieftain in at my convenience. Supposed to be a quick and easy fix. I hope no other bugs appear to surprise me.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have had problems with mine since May/June of last year. Heat isn't the only issue, exposure to direct sunlight is. The UV rays as well as heat from direct sunlight will blank out these screens or cause them to turn off. I have had both happen and have filed reports through two dealerships and directly with Polaris. There has been deafening silence since my calls in June.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loki, I hate to hear that. These are not inexpensive motorcycles and it's pretty depressing to have problems like this with a new bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Charlie, didn't know they had a computer fix for that. I just had the latest update installed and it made the screen letters a little fatter, got rid of the BTO,( I've never had a problem with that) and it added a missing key fob alarm....and probably other stuff, but since you dont get a list of things that will be different after the update, I have no clue what else it did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the Chieftain to Big #1 Motorsports today, totally prepared for bad news about incurable electronic gremlins and electrical glitches. Turned out a battery cable was slightly loose. They tightened that and did an ECU re-flash. I left the dealer and rode about 75 miles with no problems. I think it's cured!

·
Founding member
734 Posts
Took the Chieftain to Big #1 Motorsports today, totally prepared for bad news about incurable electronic gremlins and electrical glitches. Turned out a battery cable was slightly loose. They tightened that and did an ECU re-flash. I left the dealer and rode about 75 miles with no problems. I think it's cured!
Thats great your confidence is restored in your bike. Ride on............

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've being going thru the same thing for two months now, bought a new battery, check all my ground connection, and it stop for a while but started back up again, help someone please email back asap at [email protected] Mike Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts