Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would dare say there would be a lot of us that have had their Dash Glove Box Clip snap or brake like I had.
It is covered under warranty . Surely there would be a better way to design these, such as a magnet or similar . Even using a key would be better than the silly little soft plastic bit that is a common fault from what I understand. I know I did not pay for this ,however I seen the invoice for the warranty claim and that was $90.00 AUD for a 5 min job. I know the labour would be the best part of this and the dealerships would charge a min amount of time but wow this must be costing Indian/Polaris heaps. I would be redesigning it and retro fitting the new parts to safe a lot of money. Just thought I would put it out there and see who has had the same problem. I also understand by redesigning something like this and retro fitting it may cost more than it is worth. But the future bikes would benefit .

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would dare say there would be a lot of us that have had their Dash Glove Box Clip snap or brake like I had.
It is covered under warranty . Surely there would be a better way to design these, such as a magnet or similar . Even using a key would be better than the silly little soft plastic bit that is a common fault from what I understand. I know I did not pay for this ,however I seen the invoice for the warranty claim and that was $90.00 AUD for a 5 min job. I know the labour would be the best part of this and the dealerships would charge a min amount of time but wow this must be costing Indian/Polaris heaps. I would be redesigning it and retro fitting the new parts to safe a lot of money. Just thought I would put it out there and see who has had the same problem. I also understand by redesigning something like this and retro fitting it may cost more than it is worth. But the future bikes would benefit .

View attachment 476250 View attachment 476252
I just bought spares and keep them handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking of buying some small magnets and slim peace of lite metal then put double sided tape on them to lock the lid. Then I may need to have some sort or small handle on the lid to open it. That would depend on how strong the magnet was I guess, but have been thinking about it since the clip broke. I know, I need to change my iPhone cable to a ribbon type that will fit a lot of the issues .

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the clips easy to install? I notice mine is broken and on the way out.
Yes you just need 2 small screw drivers or similar to push the. side clips in and pull the old one out . Once you see the new clip you can work it out ,just by seeing how they go in. It take about 5 mins max to take one out and replace it with the new one.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Ive never had an issue with mine. My phone (S8) with Outer box BARELY fits in there so I put it in the tank pouch or trunk.
Those of you that have broken it, how is that happening? Normal closing, over filled and forcing it?
It is very chintzy in design and function.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive never had an issue with mine. My phone (S8) with Outer box BARELY fits in there so I put it in the tank pouch or trunk.
Those of you that have broken it, how is that happening? Normal closing, over filled and forcing it?
Just closing it with a phone connection after plugging the I phone in. So if I changed that lead to to a ribbon type it would not be a issue I would think. The dealership told me they are a bad design and they are always changing them, so I am not on my own. I would think the USB port should not be in there and that would also reduce any issues. May be if Indian/Polaris had a USB port on or near the handle bars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine broke. They charged me $22 for the part! It is poor engineering on that one piece and the size of the little box. Today's phones are bigger. With the USB plugged in, it will not fit closed. Connecting external devices (cameras, etc.) requires leaving it open. It should not break so easily. While it is a minor part of the bike, Indian really needs to re-evaluate it... and come up with a better idea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see a USB or power outlet in at least one of the boxes on the lowers. I've been tempted to make my own... just not enough to do it. ;)

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Just closing it with a phone connection after plugging the I phone in. So if I changed that lead to to a ribbon type it would not be a issue I would think. The dealership told me they are a bad design and they are always changing them, so I am not on my own. I would think the USB port should not be in there and that would also reduce any issues. May be if Indian/Polaris had a USB port on or near the handle bars.
Got ya. I charge my phone in trunk or rarely in saddlebag. Its a faster charge anyway. I connect to Ride command via Bluetooth only.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Magnets and a little J B weld sounds like a good idea, I wonder how Velcro stick on tape would work used that on a car console before,walmart hack lol.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,567 Posts
Magnets and a little J B weld sounds like a good idea, I wonder how Velcro stick on tape would work used that on a car console before,walmart hack lol.

Agreed, but I've had poor results with stick on Velcro in a hot environment such as dash board, saddlebags, etc. Its not as resilient as 3M tape made for external use. Just based on my experience.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes Velcro peals in the hot weather that's why JB weld is the bomb just take caution that stuff is pretty permanent, I've seen guys patch a hole in a break line with that stuff just to get by until they could replace the entire line.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts

Or good old Duct (not duck) tape!

1crocb.jpg

·
German Rider
1,145 Posts
If someone orders a few and they fit, I would take/buy some of them. Even with shipping to germany, they would be steal cheap.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Geoff-3 and Bonzai
1 - 20 of 93 Posts